The Bowling Thread

Suck terribly at bowling- only broke 200 one time- but I did work at a bowling alley from the age of 17-19. (Saw a 77X series and one 299 game, but never a 300 or an 800 series rolled in my 2 years working there) Easily, without any competition, the funnest job I've ever had. All we did was sit around bullshitting, listen to the jukebox, bowl, play poker and drink. It's where I first seriously cut my teeth with cards. They would all bet on bowling, then I would take it all from them afterwards playing Stud. Our card game was pretty sick- dudes blowing paychecks, etc. I was the youngest "regular" by at least a decade in that game... A couple times, I've seen cheap bowling alleys for sale in small Midwestern towns. I swear to god, my dream is to just liquidate all my shit, buy a small town bowling alley and spend the rest of my life sucking at bowling, eating deep fried snack bar food and beef jerky, playing video games and running a card game. I could be totally content doing that.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will piss off bowlers but I honestly think if I practiced for maybe 6 months... I could beat most anyone at bowling.It's like one of the easiest sports that there are actual pros doing it for a living.

I bowl. Have been bowling for almost 18 years. Used to work in a pro shop - was offered my own, but the pay was ridiculously low, so I had to say no, even though it was easily the most fun job I ever had.Hollywood, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, but you're wrong. Maybe on a house pattern you could overpower it and neutralize a good player's edge, but if you get on a real tough pattern, a PBA pattern, I guarantee you that you could not beat an actual bowler who knows what they're doing.

I bowl. Have been bowling for almost 18 years. Used to work in a pro shop - was offered my own, but the pay was ridiculously low, so I had to say no, even though it was easily the most fun job I ever had.Hollywood, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, but you're wrong. Maybe on a house pattern you could overpower it and neutralize a good player's edge, but if you get on a real tough pattern, a PBA pattern, I guarantee you that you could not beat an actual bowler who knows what they're doing.
That's a bold statement. You have no idea what kind of bowler I am or how long I have been bowling or the number of Pro-Am's I've actually bowled in.
That's a bold statement. You have no idea what kind of bowler I am or how long I have been bowling or the number of Pro-Am's I've actually bowled in.
Your post implied that you're not a bowler. Bowling in pro-ams doesn't mean anything. I have a cousin who average 109 that bowls in Pro-Ams.
Your post implied that you're not a bowler. Bowling in pro-ams doesn't mean anything. I have a cousin who average 109 that bowls in Pro-Ams.
true dat. I bet I could beat your cousin. LOL.. I used to bowl but haven't in years but I stand by my statement. Easiest sport to be a pro at.
true dat. I bet I could beat your cousin. LOL.. I used to bowl but haven't in years but I stand by my statement. Easiest sport to be a pro at.
You couldn't be more wrong. House shots are easy but the pro's are that good. I average 220+ normally in league on a house shot but am bowling a PBA Experience league this summer. In this league we bowl on the PBA oil patterns and rotate between the 5 of them every couple weeks. I am at 192 for 24 games in that league. I sub in a different house in the same type of league and am at 199 for 9. The pro's would be averaging 220-240 on these patterns.The pros are on a whole different level. They are so accurate and versatile that it's ridiculous. They really have bowling down to a science based on equipment, hand positions, oil transition, who they are following, etc.Even if you did nothing but bowl for a year and got the best coaching money can buy, I still don't see you coming close to winning a PBA regional, yet alone a PBA national title. BTW, there is not much money involved in becoming a professional bowler. The prizefunds suck and the endorsements for making TV shows are just as bad.
You couldn't be more wrong. House shots are easy but the pro's are that good. I average 220+ normally in league on a house shot but am bowling a PBA Experience league this summer. In this league we bowl on the PBA oil patterns and rotate between the 5 of them every couple weeks. I am at 192 for 24 games in that league. I sub in a different house in the same type of league and am at 199 for 9. The pro's would be averaging 220-240 on these patterns.The pros are on a whole different level. They are so accurate and versatile that it's ridiculous. They really have bowling down to a science based on equipment, hand positions, oil transition, who they are following, etc.Even if you did nothing but bowl for a year and got the best coaching money can buy, I still don't see you coming close to winning a PBA regional, yet alone a PBA national title. BTW, there is not much money involved in becoming a professional bowler. The prizefunds suck and the endorsements for making TV shows are just as bad.
Well..I stand by my previous statement... haven't bowled but maybe 6 times in the past 10 years.... went out yesterday and bowled 3 games: 192, 245, 210Easiest sport to be a pro. You are correct...the money sucks.
Well..I stand by my previous statement... haven't bowled but maybe 6 times in the past 10 years.... went out yesterday and bowled 3 games: 192, 245, 210Easiest sport to be a pro. You are correct...the money sucks.
I do agree that it's easy to become competitive and bowl scratch tournaments because of the equipment these days. You can coach a beginner up for a few months and can get them to average in the 200's easily in no time. Kind of sad really.
Hambone........awesome name or stupid?Discuss
Worst.Term.Ever.
This will piss off bowlers but I honestly think if I practiced for maybe 6 months... I could beat most anyone at bowling.It's like one of the easiest sports that there are actual pros doing it for a living.
Do you mean at FCP or "most anyone" in general?
Do you mean at FCP or "most anyone" in general?
I prefaced my statement with the fact I knew it would piss off a few people..(bowlers) .. and to be honest...was talking out of my arse mostly with an ounce of belief. After seeing some of the replies.. I thought i would test my theory. Now I'm very sure that my statement was correct. If I took it seriously, obtained a good coach and had the time... i could beat most anyone in the US.Not every time.... not everyone.... most people.
I prefaced my statement with the fact I knew it would piss off a few people..(bowlers) .. and to be honest...was talking out of my arse mostly with an ounce of belief. After seeing some of the replies.. I thought i would test my theory. Now I'm very sure that my statement was correct. If I took it seriously, obtained a good coach and had the time... i could beat most anyone in the US.Not every time.... not everyone.... most people.
I almost agree that given the time and dedication anyone could beat "most" people.However, you're statement of it being the easiest sport to turn professional is rediculous for the reasons that Cbass has given.The pros are pros for a reason. Most people if given the time and proper resources can train and become quite good at anything, but to turn pro is sometimes another step that most people can't take. IDK and I kind of don't care but I know that pros in any sport are way better at what they do than 99.9% of the rest of us. the other .1% are the ones that they are competing against.
I almost agree that given the time and dedication anyone could beat "most" people.However, you're statement of it being the easiest sport to turn professional is rediculous for the reasons that Cbass has given.
What sport is easier to become a pro at?And here we must define "sport" and DARTS isn't one.Golf? Not a chance. No matter how good a coach and how long you practice...golf is not something that can be mastered by many.Football? Not a chance for most... size and speed and competition without injury... low percentage.Baseball? Too much competition and not easy to master.Basketball? See footballTennis? Not likely. Very physical and most people couldn't even return ONE serve at 100mphHelp me out... what sport is easier to become a pro at?
What sport is easier to become a pro at?And here we must define "sport" and DARTS isn't one.Golf? Not a chance. No matter how good a coach and how long you practice...golf is not something that can be mastered by many.Football? Not a chance for most... size and speed and competition without injury... low percentage.Baseball? Too much competition and not easy to master.Basketball? See footballTennis? Not likely. Very physical and most people couldn't even return ONE serve at 100mphHelp me out... what sport is easier to become a pro at?
Actually I think you need to define easier. I know 100% that it was easier for Ladanian Tomlinson to become a professional football player than it would for him to be a professional bowler ... but given the time and dedication and training he could probably become quite a good bowler, but who knows maybe he doesnt' have what it takes to be a professional bowler. There are certain people that things come quite easily to them and it is known as natural talent. They need their coaches to develop this talent into something tangible and therefore they become pros. I think the main thing in each endeavor is that they all give 110% to thier particular sport. They eat, drink, and live whatever sport it is and in that I think it comes down to that dedication for every "pro" in the sports world.You are only thinking in the terms of what is most grueling and in that you are thinking that there is nothing else that defines these other sports except the toughness of mastering it. However, I believe that there is more to it than that. I wish that I had the resources to give you all the training and all the equipment to see if you could back up your statements. It would be a fun prop bet ... if I was a very rich person.
Actually I think you need to define easier. I know 100% that it was easier for Ladanian Tomlinson to become a professional football player than it would for him to be a professional bowler ... but given the time and dedication and training he could probably become quite a good bowler, but who knows maybe he doesnt' have what it takes to be a professional bowler. There are certain people that things come quite easily to them and it is known as natural talent. They need their coaches to develop this talent into something tangible and therefore they become pros. I think the main thing in each endeavor is that they all give 110% to thier particular sport. They eat, drink, and live whatever sport it is and in that I think it comes down to that dedication for every "pro" in the sports world.You are only thinking in the terms of what is most grueling and in that you are thinking that there is nothing else that defines these other sports except the toughness of mastering it. However, I believe that there is more to it than that. I wish that I had the resources to give you all the training and all the equipment to see if you could back up your statements. It would be a fun prop bet ... if I was a very rich person.
Dangit... good one. Didn't think of it like that.Clarification: Bowling is the easiest sport for me to become a pro at.... or anyone who was not born with some sort of God-given size, strength and/or speed.

Do you consider fishing to be a sport? Cause it seems prety easy to ride around in a boat with a case of beer.And why would you exclude darts? If you are including bowling, I think the inclusion of darts is a must.Which would be harder to master.....bowling or darts?I have a man crush on the guy (even though I have no idea what he looks like) who calls out the dart matches they show on ESPN sometimes........I love the way he says...ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY!!!!!!!!!

Do you consider fishing to be a sport? Cause it seems prety easy to ride around in a boat with a case of beer.And why would you exclude darts? If you are including bowling, I think the inclusion of darts is a must.Which would be harder to master.....bowling or darts?I have a man crush on the guy (even though I have no idea what he looks like) who calls out the dart matches they show on ESPN sometimes........I love the way he says...ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY!!!!!!!!!
Awesome! lmaoFishing has too many intangibles ... Darts.... I would listen to an argument about darts.
I tend to agree. Any idea how the name came about? I don't tend to associate pork products with bowling (other than pork rinds (SP?))
For the youth bowlers, they have "hambone" patches they give out when you get 2 strikes in a row. This has been out for a few years now I think.But when they got rid of Dave Ryan on the PBA telecasts they replaced him with Rob Stone. Stone knew nothing about bowling before going into the booth and he was very fascinated about the term "turkey" for 3 strikes in a row. So he wanted a nickname for 4 strikes in a row, which is normally just called a 4-bagger. I guess he pulled the term hambone out of his ass. The pros hate it but the fans started coming in with hambone signs. He really made a mockery out of it, but if it gets fans involved and more people to like bowling, then who cares?Pete Weber got 4 in a row on one show this year and immediately did a crotch chop and yelled "here's your hambone Rob Stone!" It was quite funny. About the pro bowling thing, it really is hard to do. There isn't as much weight lifting and conditioning involved as in other sports like the NBA, NFL, etc, but it has it's own grueling aspects. These pros practice at least 10-15 games a day which I would dare anybody to do on their own for a few weeks in a row. Let me know how your thumb and hand feels when you are done. I say they practice "games" but in reality they just throw shots and don't keep score. When I bowled in college, for the most part I practiced everyday. We had our own lanes on campus (6 lanes) and we could oil them anyway we liked. We also did a lot of accuracy drills where you'd set up 2 cones at the arrows (15 feet) and then another set of cones about 35-40 feet down the lane. The object is to roll the ball between both sets of cones (which are not in a straight line) without touching them. It's a very tough task for an average bowler to do but I would predict that the pros you see on TV could do this easily 8-9 times out of 10, if not a perfect 10. We were all struggling to make it through the cones a few times and we were the #2 team in the nation. My old roommate at college is currently on his way to becoming exempt on the PBA tour. He was on the CBS show a few weeks back where there were 16 bowlers bowling for $50K, or whatever it was. I've never seen someone more dedicated to anything in life as he is to bowling. He literally practices more than anybody (even the exempt pros) and it has started to pay dividends for him. He is currently on Team USA and was the national amateur champion last year. Back in school I'm pretty sure he threw over 40 strikes in a row at one point in practice which is just plain sick.

Does your roommate do any of that outdoor bowling? I've been seeing lot's of that on lately. That looks tricky... it usually looks windy.

I never knew there was such a thing as different "oil patterns". Found this link interesting.Lane Conditions and Oil Patterns
Ya. Basic things like short patterns and long patterns allow for style variation. Did you think the bowlers just said "TURN!" it the ball did it? :club: