Gus Hanson's New Book

Love this book. It reads like a novel to me - a real page turner, so to speak. Very interesting.Two things though:1) If I was the editor I would have demanded an 75% reduction in exclamation points.2) He has a funny understanding of what the word "optional" means. Just something I noticed. It uses the word in a few somethat bizzare contexts that no native speaker would. Proves its not ghostwritten in any way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Borrowing it from a friend currently. I'm amazed at how often people in a 10k tourney would pop on the button (while Gus defends his blind every single time with any two) or the cutoff and not only not C-bet but basically surrender on every street to Gus. Gus wins way too many hands OOP that the late position raiser gives up for some reason.

Just finished it. Books like this are just as bad for poker as cardrunners and other sites like it. "Poker Philosophy" books are one thing... Be aggressive here, be passive and patient there... Whatever. You can hand a monkey a trumpet- it doesn't mean he's going to be able to do shit with it.It's the instructional instruments (like this book or cardrunners, etc) that deconstruct the damn thought process of a winning player and get the rabble "thinking right"; these make poker worse for everyone. No, most people aren't going to be able to successfully implement a ULAG strategy like Gus, but carefully outlining the thought processes and handing it over to anyone for a few bucks potentially takes everyones game 'up a notch' which is bad for a game that relies on a wide disparity of skill in order to remain profitable.

Books like this are just as bad for my poker as cardrunners and other sites like it.
FYP

No, they're bad for poker in general, not just because I happen to be a winning player. This is the equivalent of giving Spanish repeating rifles to the wild American Indians. You might have some philosophical delusion about "equality" and "sharing" but at the end of the day, all this does is make your foe harder to conquer, which sucks. I :club: shitty poker players. This makes less of them.

I :club: shitty poker players. This makes less of them.
Who doesn't love a fish! In general, ppl don't take the time to read poker books/forums/signup to watch videos. If someone wants to take the time to learn a craft/skill and apply it for fun or money i've no problem with that in the slightest.
Just finished it. Books like this are just as bad for poker as cardrunners and other sites like it. "Poker Philosophy" books are one thing... Be aggressive here, be passive and patient there... Whatever. You can hand a monkey a trumpet- it doesn't mean he's going to be able to do shit with it.It's the instructional instruments (like this book or cardrunners, etc) that deconstruct the damn thought process of a winning player and get the rabble "thinking right"; these make poker worse for everyone. No, most people aren't going to be able to successfully implement a ULAG strategy like Gus, but carefully outlining the thought processes and handing it over to anyone for a few bucks potentially takes everyones game 'up a notch' which is bad for a game that relies on a wide disparity of skill in order to remain profitable.
Well, you pounded on the glass on this one, Scram. I had not bought this book, because I totally discount any new book offering by Pros, thinking they are just crass cash ins, and not serious poker books. I read this review and went out and bought the book tonight, based 100% on this post. Poker rule number one, don't tap the glass.
Who doesn't love a fish! In general, ppl don't take the time to read poker books/forums/signup to watch videos. If someone wants to take the time to learn a craft/skill and apply it for fun or money i've no problem with that in the slightest.
A lot of people I play with talk about reading certain books or if a certain play is made they will say something cliche like "oh is that in chapter 4 of supersystem" or something gay like that. I honestly think that most of the people who read poker books do not take the time to implement what they learned into their own games. Most people play their own way no matter what they read and I thank them for that! :club: I've gotten thru about 2/3's of it and it has been great so far. He is just really aggressive and prey's on weakness. It's kind of what Dario and Fluffdog were doing to their opponents all tournament in the $2500 6 max event. They aren't afraid to 3 bet or 4 bet ATC.
Borrowing it from a friend currently. I'm amazed at how often people in a 10k tourney would pop on the button (while Gus defends his blind every single time with any two) or the cutoff and not only not C-bet but basically surrender on every street to Gus. Gus wins way too many hands OOP that the late position raiser gives up for some reason.
I think the reaosn is fairly clear, and fits rpety much wiht this discussion. people raise on the buton and cutoff seat becuase thats what you're "supposed" to do. And much of the time, the people form these spots who end up folding to gus later in the ahdn, as you mentioend, simply shouldn't have been there to begin with. But theyr ead a book that told them to raise there, so they did.