So I was doing real well on my monthly goal, but after having a few bad days, I am back to about where I started. I think I have been playing well, but I run into some bad beats and then I just seem to try to force things. What measures can I take to control my tilt and help build my BR back up to where it was before these bad days.Thanks for all advice :club:

So I was doing real well on my monthly goal, but after having a few bad days, I am back to about where I started. I think I have been playing well, but I run into some bad beats and then I just seem to try to force things. What measures can I take to control my tilt and help build my BR back up to where it was before these bad days.Thanks for all advice :club:
Well all I play is mostly cash games and when they hit out on me I usally just take a depe breath and remember if they keep playing those rags I'll break them in the long run and I remind myself how I have hit out on ppl also and its just part of poker and is all that dont work I sit out a few hands go get a coke or a drink or check the mail by the time I am done I'm ready to refocus.As far as your Bankroll goes if you were beating the limit before you moved you moved up try going back down after all who cares if you have to step down your working on your game there maybe something your doing and not catching that you werent doing before when you were winning use the time at the lower limit to analize your game you may come across a leak you didnt even know you had.Hope this helps you and others Good Luck keep me posted

I like to have a "calm down key" so Ill focus on the same thing everytime I feel a tilt coming on. I have a couple meditation tracks that I listen to whenever I'm feeling it, and that takes me out of it. Doesn't always work though!

I like to have a "calm down key" so Ill focus on the same thing everytime I feel a tilt coming on. I have a couple meditation tracks that I listen to whenever I'm feeling it, and that takes me out of it. Doesn't always work though!
I just hit 2 sets in a row and they filled up both times to beat me so needless to say Ima go check my mail LOL LOL

Just play lots of hands, day in and day out. You'll see the swings and get accustomed to them, and the beats will happen so often that they'll be no big deal to you.I used to have tilt issues. Now I set a hand goal for a session and get out, whether I'm up or down. I may decide to play another session a bit later if I'm in the mood, but I think having a goal that doesn't relate to my results each session helps me avoid tilting.Occasionally, I still start cursing at the screen and wanting to throw my mouse. When you feel the steam even start to rise, just sit out when the blinds come around and go do something else. The game will be there later when you're head is clear.Ny the way, you can tilt from overconfidence as well, and it's usually worse in my experience. Even keel, or find something else to do.

I've finally learned to just take a deep breath and pull of a Tuff_fish laugh everytime I get a badbeat. It used to drain my bankroll though. A few times when I get super tilty, I sit out for a couple of minutes and listen to a couple of songs that I like that calms me down.

The secret to dealing with tilt is to understand that it is an automatic physical response to a stimulus (bad beat). I find that a good way to stop tilt is by doing something physical, like pushups.In a recent episode of "Cash Plays", the guest talked about a different method. He said to first stop thinking about the circumstances that caused the tilt. Just focus on the physical feelings you are experiencing, until they subside. The link is: http://www.pokerroad.com/cash_plays/4-15-08/

When I'm on Tilt, I like to get up for like 2 - 3 min. or so and let a couple hands go, take a little piss break or get some food and then come back like it's a new tourney... that seems to help me out

The secret to dealing with tilt is to understand that it is an automatic physical response to a stimulus (bad beat). I find that a good way to stop tilt is by doing something physical, like pushups.In a recent episode of "Cash Plays", the guest talked about a different method. He said to first stop thinking about the circumstances that caused the tilt. Just focus on the physical feelings you are experiencing, until they subside. The link is: http://www.pokerroad.com/cash_plays/4-15-08/
I was just about to link to that show, that episode is pretty damn awesome and i would reccomend everyone to listen to it.

The tilt factor gets me sometimes too. Alot of times I will get up, walk around the house for a few, eat a small bowl of ice cream or something that will lift my spirits a little bit and if I haven't calmed down after sitting out for a few minutes then I will usually get up from the table and be done for the day. Obviously that is online, I have noticed that I do not get as affected by bad beats and running badly in a live game because I can physically see the person. If it's a donkey who just got lucky, its easier for me to put a face with it and know that I am better player who will probably get their money before the night is over. If it's a good player who managed to suck out on me, 9 times out of 10 there is a little bit of mutual respect there and both know that it was a bad beat and that it happens to all of us from time to time. I dont know.. just my thoughts...

there is an excellent article about this in the 2+2 online magazine this month. its a rehash of an essay that mason wrote in poker essays III. from my experiences playing he is dead on. not tilting is another skill you have to learn. it takes time. it takes work. its very natural to be upset about things that happen at the poker table.

I listen to alot of music and read. This always helps me from going on tilt. One thing I know is that you have to fold your KK when a A hits the board because they are no good, if you continue your going to find yourself beat by that one person that is playing the A2.

I listen to alot of music and read. This always helps me from going on tilt. One thing I know is that you have to fold your KK when a A hits the board because they are no good, if you continue your going to find yourself beat by that one person that is playing the A2.
LOL and he's 92 years old and he's not folding that A no matter how many buyins you shove at him. He has a pair of aces for christ's sake.
Oh ... additional ... get up and walk around.

The key, for me, is to focus on good decision making. If I get sucked out on for a big pot it usually doesn't upset me anymore so long as I made good decisions on the hand. I know that in the long run things will even out. I am much more likely to get upset if I make a stupid decision that costs me money.

Just play lots of hands, day in and day out. You'll see the swings and get accustomed to them, and the beats will happen so often that they'll be no big deal to you.I used to have tilt issues. Now I set a hand goal for a session and get out, whether I'm up or down. I may decide to play another session a bit later if I'm in the mood, but I think having a goal that doesn't relate to my results each session helps me avoid tilting.Occasionally, I still start cursing at the screen and wanting to throw my mouse. When you feel the steam even start to rise, just sit out when the blinds come around and go do something else. The game will be there later when you're head is clear.Ny the way, you can tilt from overconfidence as well, and it's usually worse in my experience. Even keel, or find something else to do.
whats an interesting point, how long do you play? do you play a fixed amount of hours or until you win/lose a certain percent of your buy-in/bankroll?
whats an interesting point, how long do you play? do you play a fixed amount of hours or until you win/lose a certain percent of your buy-in/bankroll?
Fwiw, this is a terrible idea.We shouldn't be focused on short term results, and any time you are only concerned about one day, it's going to be the short term.Basically, you should just focus on making good decisions, and play as long as you want to, while maintaining that focus on making good decisions. I hate trying to treat it like I need to play X hours today, etc. I mean, it's not terrible, but if you're not in the right state of mind, you could end up forcing yourself to play when you're tilted, angry, etc, and that will result in poor results.But, the main thing, and I'm bad for this too, is that your results in one specific calendar day don't matter. Poker will be there tomorrow when you wake up, and so on.
Ok but how do you prevent life ****in tilt?
Daily (repeated) intimate contact with your avatar...(I hope you never change your avatar... or else this post might become a source of embarrassment for me)
Daily (repeated) intimate contact with your avatar...(I hope you never change your avatar... or else this post might become a source of embarrassment for me)
This explains why David Benyamine never tilts..