Wsop 2008 Final Table

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if a player dies?
This is a question for the religion forum.
It's human nature to be against change and I understand why a lot of people don't like this idea but change can be a good thing. The WSOP Main Event is already totally unique, no other tournament takes over two weeks to play and has so many entrants. The success of televised poker has been because it's a combination of a competition and a reality show and appeals to the casual viewers in the same way that shows like Survivor do while also appealing to the millions of people who play poker.I think a change like this might be refreshing and for sure it will be a benefit to the players who make the final table.
While I respect your opinion, I have to remind you that not all change is good. How many times in life have you tried something different that seemed like such a great idea to only later say "WTF was I thinking, I will never do that again!"?I also would be very interested in hearing how the long time pros like Doyle Brunson think about this idea. To him, the main event may be a sacred event that shouldn't be messed with any more than it already has. Maybe not, but I would like to hear his opinion.I hate the argument that because you are against change in a particular instance the ones for the idea immediately start telling you that you need to keep an open mind. Maybe we have an open mind and have seriously thought out the situation, formed our own opinion and have made up our mind and just don't think that this idea is worth the risk to try.I just wonder if ESPN will compensate the players for the long wait they have to make to finish the ME? After all, by hyping it so much ESPN should surely be able to make more money off of their broadcast and therefore should pay those that are the "talent" of the new "reality event".After all of that ramblilng, I don't really know if I like this idea or not. I guess it really doesn't matter how I feel about it though, I will not be playing. How does Daniel feel about this? Should we take from Bob's stance that DN is firmly for this idea?(In case Bob or anyone else didn't get it, that was very much tongue in cheek. I was jumping to a conclusion abot Bob much like I suggested he was by his "open minded" comments.)
While I respect your opinion, I have to remind you that not all change is good. How many times in life have you tried something different that seemed like such a great idea to only later say "WTF was I thinking, I will never do that again!"?I also would be very interested in hearing how the long time pros like Doyle Brunson think about this idea. To him, the main event may be a sacred event that shouldn't be messed with any more than it already has. Maybe not, but I would like to hear his opinion.I hate the argument that because you are against change in a particular instance the ones for the idea immediately start telling you that you need to keep an open mind. Maybe we have an open mind and have seriously thought out the situation, formed our own opinion and have made up our mind and just don't think that this idea is worth the risk to try.I just wonder if ESPN will compensate the players for the long wait they have to make to finish the ME? After all, by hyping it so much ESPN should surely be able to make more money off of their broadcast and therefore should pay those that are the "talent" of the new "reality event".After all of that ramblilng, I don't really know if I like this idea or not. I guess it really doesn't matter how I feel about it though, I will not be playing. How does Daniel feel about this? Should we take from Bob's stance that DN is firmly for this idea?(In case Bob or anyone else didn't get it, that was very much tongue in cheek. I was jumping to a conclusion abot Bob much like I suggested he was by his "open minded" comments.)
I have no idea what Daniel's thoughts are on this although if it becomes a reality I'm sure we'll find out since he usually isn't shy about sharing them.

You have to consider that if this idea made the ME an even bigger deal to the general public, all the new players (and their $) this could bring into the poker world. This would have to be +EV for the typical poster on FCP.One other thing this does is make the ME standout even further from typical tournaments. Great marketing idea.

I'd like to get DN's input on this.

hahahhaa... i think it's ****ing rilarious.... but also kind of cool and at the bottomline pretty much the natural evolution of things. Regardless if they really want to step it up they need to run down to the final table and then have the 9 final table participants live together in a house for the three months where they will have to do challenges which will give them tokens which they can play once they play the final table. winnign these tokens will give you the abililty to, buy insurance, swap out bad rivers, run it twice, joker in the deck, draw 4, two rounds of live straddles, get out of antes free, switch positions, etc, etc... just a couple more ideas i thought i might throw at them if they really want to mix it up. and maybe the final table should have rounds of flip cup thrown in to just so everyone stays loose.

I think the WSOP is just trying to "raise the bar" on the standard for elite poker tournaments. For example last year, they gave the players some *CUTTING-EDGE* decks of cards:wsop9d6d.pngwsopspadesnclubs.png

I have no idea what Daniel's thoughts are on this although if it becomes a reality I'm sure we'll find out since he usually isn't shy about sharing them.
Bob, I take it you didn't see my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.
hahahhaa... i think it's ****ing rilarious.... but also kind of cool and at the bottomline pretty much the natural evolution of things. Regardless if they really want to step it up they need to run down to the final table and then have the 9 final table participants live together in a house for the three months where they will have to do challenges which will give them tokens which they can play once they play the final table. winnign these tokens will give you the abililty to, buy insurance, swap out bad rivers, run it twice, joker in the deck, draw 4, two rounds of live straddles, get out of antes free, switch positions, etc, etc... just a couple more ideas i thought i might throw at them if they really want to mix it up. and maybe the final table should have rounds of flip cup thrown in to just so everyone stays loose.
LOL <3 Chuckysty.
  • 4 weeks later...
the worst idea ever it will absolutely not happen
O RLY?
I doubt it.
O RLY?
I doubt it. What happens if a player dies? Does his family have a right to sue for what his winnings may have been had he lived? This idea is actually quite stupid.
O RLY?
While poker pro Daniel Negreanu also applauds the timetable, he says it will make for a "different dynamic" at the final table. "You're going to see some really kind of more sophisticated play," he says.The WSOP is a 55-event series of tournaments that begins May 30. ESPN will begin airing taped broadcasts of various events July 22. Negreanu expects players at the final table to monitor those."They're going to watch the ESPN broadcasts and go, 'Oh, did you notice that? When he does this, he's bluffing,' " Negreanu says.He says players also can get coaching. He likens it to Super Bowl coaches getting two weeks to make a game plan: "Great players and amateurs alike will have an opportunity to really devise schemes and plans for how they're going to play."http://www.usatoday.com/sports/poker/2008-04-30-WSOP_N.htm
On 2p2 they are saying Daniel is one of the bigger supporters of this. I have no confirmation in print though.Mark

Meh when I first saw it I didn't hate it.....I still don't hate it. Obviously there are some issues, but if you look at the big picture I think it has potential. Sure, it might be a complete and utter disaster, but I'm all for trying to increase pokers popularity.

Only because I am working / lazy.... is this FT going to be a delayed - live telecast?
delayed but not live.Mark