Why Are We Here

don't be an idiot. 98% of the time someone who comes on here randomly and makes a post like that is doing so with the specific intent to influence people towards christianity.
Wrong again, Emo. Nobody cares about your religious choice. Go paint your fingernails black and keep posting on the NY Giants site.
Wrong again, Emo.
you wouldn't know.
Nobody cares about your religious choice. Go paint your fingernails black and keep posting on the NY Giants site.
this isn't a christian forum, duh. anyway, the post i was responding to implied that we are only on earth to prepare for an afterlife. i consider that the heart of what is dangerous about fundamentalist religion, which is why i bothered to respond. i'm assuming the OP meant it in a christian sense since almost everybody does in this country, but whatever specific view he holds is irrelevant. the general notion that this world is only a temporary, ultimately disposable place of preparation for something better has led indirectly to a lot of the worlds current major problems.
anyway, the post i was responding to implied that we are only on earth to prepare for an afterlife. i consider that the heart of what is dangerous about fundamentalist religion, which is why i bothered to respond. i'm assuming the OP meant it in a christian sense since almost everybody does in this country, but whatever specific view he holds is irrelevant. the general notion that this world is only a temporary, ultimately disposable place of preparation for something better has led indirectly to a lot of the worlds current major problems.
HollywoodAFD understood about 10% of this. Why bother?
HollywoodAFD understood about 10% of this. Why bother?
Your an idiot.... still."Why are we here?Earth is a school. We came on Earth to become good students.if by good students you mean christians, earth must be a terrible school since most people are failing."Read and understand what is going on if you wish to participate.
Your an idiot.... still."Why are we here?Earth is a school. We came on Earth to become good students.if by good students you mean christians, earth must be a terrible school since most people are failing."Read and understand what is going on if you wish to participate.
there was this guy in my class in college who tried to be a nerd. he tried his best to speak with perfect diction, he was really into video games, anime, dungeons and dragons, stuff like that, he even tried to join all the typical geek clubs that the school had. I mean he really went all out. problem was, he was a complete moron. barely passed in all of his classes. every time a professor would ask a question, he would be the first to try to answer but would be completely wrong 95% of the time. it was actually pretty sad to watch. probably the most embarrassing person I've ever known.
anyway, the post i was responding to implied that we are only on earth to prepare for an afterlife. i consider that the heart of what is dangerous about fundamentalist religion, which is why i bothered to respond. i'm assuming the OP meant it in a christian sense since almost everybody does in this country, but whatever specific view he holds is irrelevant. the general notion that this world is only a temporary, ultimately disposable place of preparation for something better has led indirectly to a lot of the worlds current major problems.
you should read more nietzsche and less dawkins. :club:
there was this guy in my class in college who tried to be a nerd. he tried his best to speak with perfect diction, he was really into video games, anime, dungeons and dragons, stuff like that, he even tried to join all the typical geek clubs that the school had. I mean he really went all out. problem was, he was a complete moron. barely passed in all of his classes. every time a professor would ask a question, he would be the first to try to answer but would be completely wrong 95% of the time. it was actually pretty sad to watch. probably the most embarrassing person I've ever known.
As an idiot, I have no idea what this story has to do with anything.
you should read more nietzsche and less dawkins. :club:
why? religious fundamentalists neglecting and devaluing this life for the sake of an afterlife, leading to suffering for others and potential detrimental impact for the survival chances of humanity isn't exactly a philosophical issue (unless you're suggesting we should just give in to nihilism).
why? religious fundamentalists neglecting and devaluing this life for the sake of an afterlife, leading to suffering for others and potential detrimental impact for the survival chances of humanity isn't exactly a philosophical issue (unless you're suggesting we should just give in to nihilism).
lol, i mentioned nietzsche because he starts primarily from the point of "the afterlife" when evaluating religions as well, and it's as much a dealbreaker for him as it seems to be for you. it's just that his a-theism (not atheism proper) is a whole lot more robust, nuanced, and psychologically--um, correct--than dawkins' in the end, and he's actually capable of leaving the parts of religion that don't suck alone.
lol, i mentioned nietzsche because he starts primarily from the point of "the afterlife" when evaluating religions as well, and it's as much a dealbreaker for him as it seems to be for you. it's just that his a-theism (not atheism proper) is a whole lot more robust, nuanced, and psychologically--um, correct--than dawkins' in the end, and he's actually capable of leaving the parts of religion that don't suck alone.
Wasn't he also big into comic books?
it's just that his a-theism (not atheism proper) is a whole lot more robust, nuanced, and psychologically--um, correct--than dawkins'
so are sam harris' and dan dennett's. don't need to go back to the 19th century for that.
in the end, and he's actually capable of leaving the parts of religion that don't suck alone.
i think we've been through this before a couple times - dawkins is not anti-"spiritual", just anti-fundamentalist. if religion wasn't in the business of subverting science and politics i don't think he'd be railing against it.
i think we've been through this before a couple times - dawkins is not anti-"spiritual", just anti-fundamentalist. if religion wasn't in the business of subverting science and politics i don't think he'd be railing against it.
Come on..hate sells books
Come on..hate sells books
Hey, what's the biggest selling book of all time? I forget. The Chronicles of Narnia?I only thought of that because I almost said, "So does truth," but I realized what your response would be.
Hey, what's the biggest selling book of all time? I forget. The Chronicles of Narnia?I only thought of that because I almost said, "So does truth," but I realized what your response would be.
Ahhhh..instead of giving me an easy one to knock out of the park, you took it away and turned my poor joke around on me...you college graduates... :club:
Ahhhh..instead of giving me an easy one to knock out of the park, you took it away and turned my poor joke around on me...
Meh, it doesn't really count when I then go through my thought process. I feel like that makes it a draw. We both made bad jokes (even though yours was just an assumed one).
you college graduates... :club:
My bio final is tomorrow morning. You would've loved the "altruism" section of the evolution material last week. As of 10am I'm a free man...it'll be a day of golf, booze, and watching the Celtics game. Then, unfortunately, I go back to GRE studying, work, and new classes starting up in a few weeks. But tomorrow will be sweet. Maybe I'll have a cigar out on the course and think of you.
so are sam harris' and dan dennett's. don't need to go back to the 19th century for that.
i'd vehemently disagree, but that's not a discussion worth having with you, i know.
spirituality and fundamentalism aren't the only two relevant categories. dawkins is against personal religion as such and fundamentalism, though not spirituality writ large. also, certain religious figures trying to subvert science and politics doesn't mean that religion and fundamentalism in general are doing the same thing. that's a relatively good, but not perfect, generalization of fundamentalism, perhaps, but it's certainly not inherently true of the personal conception of god he's trying to discount throughout that silly book.
i'd vehemently disagree, but that's not a discussion worth having with you, i know.spirituality and fundamentalism aren't the only two relevant categories. dawkins is against personal religion as such and fundamentalism, though not spirituality writ large.
People have trouble separating spirituality from religion. A lot of them think that you can't have one without the other. I disagree.
i'd vehemently disagree, but that's not a discussion worth having with you, i know.
the average modern educated atheist on the street is more nuanced in thinking than nietzsche, let alone leading modern atheist authors. guys like harris have taken what works from nietzsche, kant, etc and gone way beyond them.
also, certain religious figures trying to subvert science and politics doesn't mean that religion and fundamentalism in general are doing the same thing.
religion can mean anything you want it to and doesn't necessarily have to subvert, but religious fundamentalism (referring to unchangeable belief based on the literal interpretation and inerrancy of ancient texts) subverts by nature - politics, science, the minds of youth, general social harmony. it has to go, and it will sooner or later. authors like dawkins are just trying to make it sooner (and make a living doing it :club: ).
  • 3 weeks later...