****official Chicago Cubs****

Beating bad teams is a requirement to MAKE the playoffs... beating good teams is a requirement to win the series. Agree? If team A wins 95 games and is .500 against other +.500 teams, and team B wins 88 games and is .600 against +.500 teams, which is the better team? Most likely, it's team B. I think you're getting a bit defensive... I'm not saying that the Cubs aren't good enough to beat good teams, and I'm not saying they are... I'm saying getting overly excited after going 6-0 against the Pirates in April is getting a bit ahead of yourself.I've been a Pirates fan all of my life, and the run in the early 90's is quickly fading... my judgement of what is and isn't a good baseball team probably doesn't mean a whole lot at this point.I'm assuming this is a reference to either the outstanding high school football programs in Western PA or in Texas... I'm not entirely sure, though.
Depends on a few things, none of which has to do with the winning percentage against .500 teams. Did they play the same strength of schedule? If they did, the 95 win team get a point in their favor. There's a luck factor...how many one run wins did team A have? A lot more than team B? Records in one run games are mostly luck, along with 2 out hits. 162 games isn't enough to even out that luck, just like you can't tell if you are a winning poker player over 20,000 hands. But after both these sample sizes you have a pretty decent idea whether or not you are going to be solid or not. If you don't want to look at stuff like that, you could still argue either way...why is the team that won 88 games so bad against sub .500 teams? The answer would kind of get back to the strength of schedule, and how many games they actually played against sub .500 teams.And yes, you can't get ahead of yourself in April, I agree with that. It seems like common sense, but the fact remains that when you are in first place at the end of April, you go on to the postseason a good % of the time, far more than when you are not in first place. Combine that with the fact that we already know the Cubs have a good team, combined with our teams recent and long term history, and we get a little excited.
  • Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to the Pirates, the Coor's Light Silver Bullets are a good team.
Good, cause we're about to sweep the Mets too. Then we get to move on to the Silver Bullets.

Im officially a Cedeno fan. He's a completely different player this year. Lilly got it going today too.This team is so freaking good. GG Mets. Bring on the Rockies

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'D HEARD ENOUGH FROM THE BAR ABOUT "HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU PLAY A GOOD TEAM ON THE ROAD BLAH BLAH BLAH

Shitty loss last night. We need to for sure take the next 2 from Washington now.but did you see this catch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl31hNaesDA...feature=relatedIm sure Im biased but thats gotta atleast be in the discussion for top ten catches ever. For sure will be the best one this year, amazing stuff

Im officially done with Wood. He can kiss my ass, he's had too many chances.
Agreed... and Soriano's lazy ass pissed me off today too.