Good News For The.....marlins!?!?!?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you the fan I see when I watch them on TV?
sometimes. I am loyal to a fault in this case. and to be fair, we have as many world series victories in the last 90 years as the red sox. actually, the Marlins local TV ratings (on FSN) are absurdly high. People love baseball here, they just are not willing to shell out money/gas to go to south broward county to see them play. however, even a new stadium near Cuba town may not get people to go to the stadium (at least past the "hey, wow, a new stadium! phase")
http://www.miamiherald.com/589/story/428181.html'The Marlins have a stadium ladies and gents. I think they are wasting their time but the new park will be fun for a little while at least. Too bad they couldnt do this in time to keep Cabrera.
This is a huge mistake. The Marlins can't even fill the stadium they have now. Granted it's not conducive to baseball, but if the fans are truly loyal then they will fill it up regardless. I don't know what the owners are thinking, but building a stadium will not bring more fans in the long run. They will see a surge in attendance at the beginning of the season with people that are there to see the stadium. However, once the new finish wears off they will go back to waiting for the Dolphins' season to start. I'd like to see this team draw well for years to come, but I just don't see it happening.
  • 1 month later...

this can be the official thread de los marlins.they are playing well so far which is nice. Hanley Ramirez is still awesome. It looks like Willingham and/or Jacobs might put it together this year. Same for Scott Olsen who just threw a great game.obviously, they are probably not going to be in first for long but I will enjoy it for now.....this team will have a lot of promise again in a couple years.

I don't know why everyone acts like the Marlins are some crappy organization (I guess in a way they are...), but their method works.....develop a crapload of young talent....let them develop at the ML level until they win.....win a WS, sell them all and rebuild....develop the young talent..win another WS.....do it all again. They may not have a great fan base....but that's not their problem...they do what they have to do to win championships..and that is what it is all about.

I don't know why everyone acts like the Marlins are some crappy organization (I guess in a way they are...), but their method works.....develop a crapload of young talent....let them develop at the ML level until they win.....win a WS, sell them all and rebuild....develop the young talent..win another WS.....do it all again. They may not have a great fan base....but that's not their problem...they do what they have to do to win championships..and that is what it is all about.
you will not find this theme in MY threads. I hate that they are so cheap and I was pissed about Cabrera. (All the other trades are defensible....this trade was not. Guys who hit for average AND power are very rare and you have to pick SOMEONE to be the one constant. If they pick Hanley instead, I suppose that might be ok but I would prefer both).Marlins are a class organization that does what they can. The current owner is a ludicrously cheap (payroll 18 million, Marlins take from revenue sharing is over 40 million....he is making money I promise you) and yet the front office always makes great trades and identifies the right young guys. (sure they miss Beckett but Hanley is good that trade is at worst, a wash.)Dave Dombrowski was awesome and so is Larry Beinfast. They always clean up in trades and they have a smart system.....stockpile lots of young arms and acquire pitching by quantity....some will work out and some wont no big deal. Then they take more care in acquiring only blue chip position players in trades. I fully expect Cameron Maybin to be a stud sooner rather than later. I would not be shocked to see MArlins contending again for real by 2010. This year could be a pleasant mediocrity if Mike Jacobs and Scott Olsen can keep it up. Hanley may push for MVP at this rate.
  • 2 weeks later...

First a stadium, then they sign Hanley Ramirez to a long term deal and now we have the best record in baseball.This is awesome....

Their method works pretty well for winning championships, but when you're generally terrible in between the championships, it's hard to maintain any kind of fan support. And that's really what it's about, because consistent fan support is how you make money (either that or just sit around and wait for the check to come in from the Yankees revenue sharing).
First a stadium, then they sign Hanley Ramirez to a long term deal and now we have the best record in baseball.This is awesome....
Fredi has done a fantastic job here.
Their method works pretty well for winning championships, but when you're generally terrible in between the championships, it's hard to maintain any kind of fan support. And that's really what it's about, because consistent fan support is how you make money (either that or just sit around and wait for the check to come in from the Yankees revenue sharing).
They had two real terrible years after their first WS, but other than that they haven't been THAT bad since they won their first WS. They even had winning records the two seasons after their 2nd World title. The media may go nuts when they sell off their players...but I think it's a great method if you can't afford to do anything else. I'd take blowing everything up and rebuilding towards a world title every so often rather than the San Fran method of sucking really badly and refusing to rebuild and instead hovering in mediocrity by giving a crapton of money to old average-at-best players and refusing to rebuild..thus dooming your future. This also appears to be the ChiSox's new method they have adopted.......refuse to rebuild when you are not very good and have an aging offense....
They had two real terrible years after their first WS, but other than that they haven't been THAT bad since they won their first WS. They even had winning records the two seasons after their 2nd World title. The media may go nuts when they sell off their players...but I think it's a great method if you can't afford to do anything else. I'd take blowing everything up and rebuilding towards a world title every so often rather than the San Fran method of sucking really badly and refusing to rebuild and instead hovering in mediocrity by giving a crapton of money to old average-at-best players and refusing to rebuild..thus dooming your future. This also appears to be the ChiSox's new method they have adopted.......refuse to rebuild when you are not very good and have an aging offense....
qft. marlins work with what they have and their scouting dept. is the tits. they can afford to spend a bit more now and signing hanley shows they are willing. now we can see how long they can keep this going.....10 game NL east road trip soon.
Fredi has done a fantastic job here.
Yeah, he was always a great coach here in Atlanta. Def hated to see him go....Glad to see him doing well, just wish he wasn't doing quite so well for our sake!

KC usually does pretty well in interleague play. We'll see what happens. If it comes down to pitching, we win...if offenses have their way, we lose. Simple as that.

KC usually does pretty well in interleague play. We'll see what happens. If it comes down to pitching, we win...if offenses have their way, we lose. Simple as that.
marlins record in interleague is amazing but i doubt that means all that much. gg royals tonight.....marlins are ice cold now reality is catching up with them.

Uggla is ridiculous. First runs scored off of Soria all year....first bad pitch he's made all year probably. Other than that...good game for us. Five in a row now with our two best pitchers going in the next two...looks good on paper..but that doesn't mean much.

Marlins take a thriller of the D-Backs. This team might actually hang around all year. Very cool stuff.
The Marlins can def hit well enough to hang around all year. The big question for them has to be can their pitching hold up for the duration of the season.It could be a 4 team race for the East this year. Should be exciting to watch come August and Sept.
The Marlins can def hit well enough to hang around all year. The big question for them has to be can their pitching hold up for the duration of the season.It could be a 4 team race for the East this year. Should be exciting to watch come August and Sept.
If nolasco pitches as well as he did pre-arm surgery then I think the rotation can hold up. I think the Marlins bullpen has been an incredibly pleasant surprise (particularly Pinto and Gregg) but their starters are shaky at best.I would love to see them stay in good enough position to be buyers instead of sellers at the trade deadline......that would be more progress than I thought imaginable this year. The next big question for them will be how soon (if ever!) will Maybin be ready to man CF. That is their biggest positional weakness......a CF/real leadoff hitter.
Marlins take a thriller of the D-Backs. This team might actually hang around all year. Very cool stuff.
Sigh, such a tease. I thought you meant today and they had played a morning east coast game. Keep beating the DBacks, much appreciated.Also, if you can continue to get production out of Mark Hendrickson you guys must be living a charmed life.
Sigh, such a tease. I thought you meant today and they had played a morning east coast game. Keep beating the DBacks, much appreciated.Also, if you can continue to get production out of Mark Hendrickson you guys must be living a charmed life.
never underestimate the power of a great pitchers' park. (as a dodgers fan you know this....only Pro Player is even more pitcher friendly than chavez ravine or whatever you call it)I told my wife (huge yankees fan) that Carl Pavano would be a huge bust for them. I would be very wary of any Marlins flyball pitcher.....in many park those outs are home runs.as a side note: this makes how well the marlins are hitting much more impressive. not like they are taking advantage of gaps for doubles....they are hitting bombs out of an impossibly good pitchers park. wonder if that means it wont continute. meh. uggla will cool a lot at some point probably.