Shaq Traded To Suns

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure what the Suns are going for here. Shaq surely won't be able to run with the Suns offense. Only thing I can think of is if they're getting him to try and strengthen their interior defense, even though I don't really see Shaq making a big difference.Crazy

I think this is a horrible trade.If they win the title I guess I'll eat those words, but I don't think they will win either way. They'd have a better chance with Marion anyway. And, you'd be better off with Marion rather than Shaq in the offseason.Lucky for phx they haven't said yes yet.

Suns pros-Interior presence-Moves Amare to natural position at the 4-Rebounding*It doesn't matter if he can run or not the Suns prolly already would have taken a shot before he reaches half court. The Suns did this w/ Kurt Thomas.-Being a contender Shaq may be rejuvenated and motivated.-Upgrade inside/out gain, Shaq's assists numbers should be up w/ the suns shooters. (see wilt chamberlain and kareem @ the end of their careers)Suns cons-Likely to have a career threating injury-Might be lazy-Lose a versatile defender who was able to defend virtually any position.-Lose a fast breaker-Lose out on potentially better deals for MarionOnly time will tell.

my 2 cents....Suns cons:Shaq and Amare have damn near the SAME GAME. two guys clogging the middle is completely redundant.. See Curry and Randolph in New York if you don't understand this point.PHX's offense revolves around the pick and roll between Nash/Amare and Nash/Marion. Shaq doesn't contribute to this much, especially if he is no longer commanding a double-team at all times.Shaq's contract is more ridiculous than Marions. 2 years after this year. Phx is one of the more notorious anti-luxury tax teams in this league. Unless there is a verbal agreement between Shaq and Phx for Shaq to retire prematurely and come off the books, this makes no sense. Even with Miami kicking in salary, it still counts against the tax.Marion has been very healthy throughout his career. Shaq... not so much... You'll get 75-82 from Marion. Shaq could miss long stretches.Suns Pros:Shaq has the talents and charisma to be a great mentor for Amare.Shaq will command attention and will free up Phx shooters in a HALF COURT OFFENSE.This could be the first part that triggers a deal where Amare gets shipped out to Chicago or Portland, or another team with a ton of expiring contracts/young talent/draft picks. Of course, Phx usually just sells their draft picks to Portland, so this isn't overly likely either. Moving Amare will help this make more sense. If they sent him to Portland for a package including Jarret Jack or Sergio Rodreiguz + Travis Outlaw / Martell Webster / Channing Frye / James Jones + Lafrentz's contract, It would help the trade make a bit more sense in the long term. But that would *really* be gutting that team and completely blowing up chemistry for the stretch run.. For Chicago, it's be Tyrus Thomas + Nocioni + PJ's contract or something wacky like that with Duhon tossed into the mix.Shaq will sell some tickets, but then again, they sell out already, right?Shaq could be completely rejuvenated with someone as skilled as Nash getting the ball in to him. The Big Guy could really get some pep in his step with a ton of easy baskets and being in the thick of a playoff race.Seriously, this news caught me completely off guard.. I couldn't pick a weirder fit for Shaq than Phoenix. Even Portland and Dallas would be able to adapt to his talents easier without totally scrapping their offensive gameplan. This has been a WILD week in the NBA. I'm excited.Finally one final point: Could the Suns have managed to do ANY WORSE in getting value for Marion? Even ringing Isiah Thomas's phone could have yielded a more attractive package. This is just nuts... insanity.. Please tell me there is a 3rd team involved.. But if there was, why would Shaq need to go to Phx for the physical?

my 2 cents....Suns cons:Shaq and Amare have damn near the SAME GAME. two guys clogging the middle is completely redundant.. See Curry and Randolph in New York if you don't understand this point.PHX's offense revolves around the pick and roll between Nash/Amare and Nash/Marion. Shaq doesn't contribute to this much, especially if he is no longer commanding a double-team at all times.
You see how you just contradicted yourself right?Shaq and Amare have no where near the same game. Amare is much more of a slasher than a back to the basket guy, he gets most of his points of pick and rolls and aggressive play going toward the basket. He can post up with his back to the basket, but it's not the best part of his game.Shaq will do fine setting picks, he will probably do it more off the ball on the weak side to free up three point shooters.

I think Steve Kerr is a smart guy and respect his basketball knowledge, so he probably sees something that I don't.I think Marion is the most overrated player in the NBA and even I think they didn't get value for him.

I think Steve Kerr is a smart guy and respect his basketball knowledge, so he probably sees something that I don't.I think Marion is the most overrated player in the NBA and even I think they didn't get value for him.
the suns will add excitement, gain post presence, and dump a guy who was a chemistry killer (allegedly). I think Marion's malcontentedness caused this trade as much as anything.I dont think Marion is that overrated and I do think he fits great at PF in the East alongside Wade.
the suns will add excitement, gain post presence, and dump a guy who was a chemistry killer (allegedly). I think Marion's malcontentedness caused this trade as much as anything.I dont think Marion is that overrated and I do think he fits great at PF in the East alongside Wade.
The heat are just gonna let him go for cap space in the offseason. I think the market may have been very small and low for Marion. That or Kerr knows something that no one else does about Shaq. I doubt Marion plays the 4. I dont really know what the Heat are doing anyways, if you don't want Marion for the future might as well tank and get a solid pick. Maybe they'll ship Marion for pick(s) and clear the space this season.
You see how you just contradicted yourself right?Shaq and Amare have no where near the same game. Amare is much more of a slasher than a back to the basket guy, he gets most of his points of pick and rolls and aggressive play going toward the basket. He can post up with his back to the basket, but it's not the best part of his game.Shaq will do fine setting picks, he will probably do it more off the ball on the weak side to free up three point shooters.
They both do a majority of their work in the paint and aren't a threat from >12 ft out. I'm not seeing how I'm contradicting myself, unless you are pointing out that the Suns already have a big man who fits in perfectly with their uptempo offense, in which case I'm agreeing with you.This whole thing makes about as much sense as putting Jason Kidd in the Triangle. Period.Bottom line: The Suns did *not* get better defensively. They did *not* get better offensively. They got *older*. And they made their precious cap situation *worse*. They didn't exactly get healthier, either.
yes.....yesssss......YESSSSSS.....YEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!that accurately describes my reaction to this trade.
lol CaneBrain. Merryf*ckingXmas.I bet you never had the balls to put something this outlandish in the Trade Machine, did you? ;)You gotta be on cloud 9 today, congrats!

ridiculous trade.. but it should help the Suns in the playoffs when they need a big man. That is if Shaq isn't out for the season by then.

What does how the Lakers have done since Shaq left have to with how washed up he is now?He wasnt when he left LA, but he sure is now.
Settle down, Miss. The point I was making is that basking in the downside of someone's career expressly because they left your team and it's selfish star guard is silly and petty when the player meant so much to that team.
Settle down, Miss. The point I was making is that basking in the downside of someone's career expressly because they left your team and it's selfish star guard is silly and petty when the player meant so much to that team.
Look here, Ma'am, I agree with you.But having said that, Fuck Shaq's old worthless ass.
They both do a majority of their work in the paint and aren't a threat from >12 ft out. I'm not seeing how I'm contradicting myself, unless you are pointing out that the Suns already have a big man who fits in perfectly with their uptempo offense, in which case I'm agreeing with you.This whole thing makes about as much sense as putting Jason Kidd in the Triangle. Period.Bottom line: The Suns did *not* get better defensively. They did *not* get better offensively. They got *older*. And they made their precious cap situation *worse*. They didn't exactly get healthier, either.
Amare can certainly shoot from outside 12 feet.Also, I was walking back from class just now and started thinking about this trade and just started laughing my ass off. I can't get over it.
Also, I was walking back from class just now and started thinking about this trade and just started laughing my ass off. I can't get over it.
I'll bet that was a site to see. You get any funny looks?