How Much You Make online?

That's a joke, right?I've lost hundreds in one day.Doublesuited, how accurate are those stats? Have you played over 10,000 hands (still a small sample)?Because i've recorded about 12,000 hands and make ~3.77BB/100 hands at stars. 4.00BB/100 hands at the .50/1 level and 3.71BB/100 hands at the 1/2 level. You might want to search for better games. I try to play only games with at least 40% plrs/flop. A good player at a B&M game should make about 1-1.5 BB/hr and they see only about 30 hands/hr. Online you average 60 hands/hr so you should make about 2-2.5 BB/hr.I play limits and have no clue about tournament money management or earnings. Are my calculations accurate?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few hours after my post (see above). I was in the BB with 1010. SB limped in and I raised 3x to 600 he called. Flop 973 rainbow. He checked and I moved in. He calls with 97o. Why does this happen all the time? Did I play this hand wrong? This kind of stuff seems to be happening way more than the percentages dictate online. It just seems fishy. Even if the hand sample isn't large enough, it seems to be deviating way too far off course.

Ive been playing online for the last year for a living, i dont play in big stakes at all i mainly play the $3/$6 limit holdem games as i can beat those pretty easily and still get a good return,  usually around $200 - $250 a day for 4-5 hours work,  ive never had a day where i wasent up by the end of it,  ive often considered moving up limits but i want to get a decent bankroll first incase things dont go to plan.I used to play the $2/$4 no limit but the swings were to much, id have days where i was $800 up but then i get outdrawn a couple of times and im back to square one,  i think limit is far more profitable online for cash games and then i play no limit for sit and go's
i assume this is a joke. based on what u are claiming, u average $225 a day playing 3/6 for 41/2 hours a day without losing once for a year and u havent to move up yet. you win $1575 a day, $350 an hour, $6300 a week, thats $327,000 a year. i'd be impresses if you cleared 10 grand in a year based on what limit and hours u play.

i don't know if these people call with that kinda crapbecause they are fish or if the are calling becausing something fishy is really going on. all ik now is that these types of plays seem to be rewarded more than good play online. i'm not the best player out there, but i should be able to consistently win $1000 amonth online playing against these types of players ad i cant do it. and neither can anyone else i know. i'm not saying no one can, but good players should win and they don't.

Funny how everyone claims to be a good player but doesn't make any $. Sorry don't take it personal guys, but if your not making $ your not a good player. For the 9 7 move, I dont see anything wrong with his play to be honest. He played a hand that he could not lose a big pot with but would take down a big one if he hit the flop right. This is the natuer of nl holdem, to play big pots often junk hands do really well. Yes they are way behind usually preflop, but when most of the $ goes in after the flop they are usually quite far ahead. Look at Negreanu, he has constantly said that his opponents call him lucky and what not when he hits his junk cards (like at Borgata when he hit 4 7 suited for a big pot), but its not luck. What is Negreanu's favorite hand, 7 10 offsuit, why I guarantee he has almost never lost a big pot with it and tends to win big pots with it. Yes playing these junk cards will cause you to lose many small pots, but you get it all back in more when you win the big pot. As Farha (another junk card player) said you may beat in a 2k pot, but I will take 100k in one hand.

I agree with you 100%. I wanted a call with 97o and a perfect flop for 1010 which is what i got. I'm not saying he was a bad player. My whole pt from the start was I'm losing way too much heads up preflop when I'm a 70%+ fav going into the flop. There is no way I'm winning that percentage...maybe 50% for 2 months. Deviation is too great in that sample of hands. There is something wrong with this picture. I have played some limit recently with some success, but the rivers still hit in the most crucial times to take my 2 pair or better down. A little more than they should it seems like. Again, just went all in with K2 with board of K2Q. Guy calls with K6 and the river is a Q. I don't need to go on about bad beats, but it's all the time in a crucial situation.

Ive been playing online for the last year for a living, i dont play in big stakes at all i mainly play the $3/$6 limit holdem games as i can beat those pretty easily and still get a good return,  usually around $200 - $250 a day for 4-5 hours work,  ive never had a day where i wasent up by the end of it,  ive often considered moving up limits but i want to get a decent bankroll first incase things dont go to plan.I used to play the $2/$4 no limit but the swings were to much, id have days where i was $800 up but then i get outdrawn a couple of times and im back to square one,  i think limit is far more profitable online for cash games and then i play no limit for sit and go's
i assume this is a joke. based on what u are claiming, u average $225 a day playing 3/6 for 41/2 hours a day without losing once for a year and u havent to move up yet. you win $1575 a day, $350 an hour, $6300 a week, thats $327,000 a year. i'd be impresses if you cleared 10 grand in a year based on what limit and hours u play.
I agree with AvoidReality. I play about 4 hours a day at $3/$6 and it is a near lock to win. Up about $40/hr on avg. I am fine with that for now as supplmental income. Somedays more money than others, but over 4 hours I had better not lose. I am selective about players and tables and keep very good notes on bad players. (Tip: At Party Poker, add bad players to your Buddy List and seek them out when you start your session).$2/$4 fluctuated too much for me also and I don't do as well in $5/$10 6 player tables. I dont understand those calculations by Koolromeo

ok im 16 years old and i REALLY think its a good idea for me to make some $ off internet poker. I know what im doing, but i dont want my parents to know this. Is there anyway i can play without them knowing? I want to average about 20$/h playing about 2/4 or 1/2. Is it possible? and i want to put in about 3 hours a day. what do yall think?

Coming from someone who's also 16 and has played a ton of different stakes online, i have a few tips. 1) Seriously man dont play online poker unless your parents have an idea your playing, but say your playing real low limits. 2) If you can, get you dad to make you a checking account (i did this and use neteller so i can just zip back and forth between sites).3) Case in point. My friend HoldemPhil is 18 and his parents have no clue he plays for big stakes online. If the dad found out he would ring his neck.

i think you need to wait a few years private, there is no really easy way to get that money out unless you have a friend who is at least 18. i did the same in Royal Vegas with the free 10 i got, made it up to about 500, but i could not cash it out because i lied about my age. my parents knew about it and weren't mad, but i couldn't change my age or transfer so i was basically screwed. they ask for id so make sure you put in a name of a friend who is 18 or maybe just tell your parents

I am 17 been playing for about 8 months, when I was about 16 and 5 months.Simple, really. All you need is a bank account and a telephone. If you dont have a bank account tell your father you want to start one to save up your money and earn interest. When you get the account make sure to ask for account number and routing number. Go to firepay, and sign up. Use your fathers name for all sign ups, since your account will be in your fathers name(or whoever u opened the account with) since you are a minor. USE ALL THEIR INFO NOT UR OWN. Firepay is pretty easy to set up. Try to become friendly with one of the bank teller's so you can aquire your bank statement whenever needed, in case you have to verify your account.Also, IGM Pay is now pretty easy. You just need to verify your account through a statement and you have unlimited witgdrawls/deposits directly to your account.This being said, never gamble more than you can afford to lose. Weird shit you rarely see in real life happens often online, since you see 2x more hands per table you play. ive won and lost 100 bucks on a single hand with flush to higher flush, boats to higher boats, etc etc. Make sure you can afford to lose the money you deposit.Good luck

first of all, your 16, you need to know what your getting yourself into. It seems like easy money, but it's really not. If somebody says they're making 40 dollars an hour an hr playing 2/4, 3/6, they're most likely lying, not keeping good records or just on a really lucky streak. Also, I'm guessing your pretty new to the game, the truth is everybody that starts out loses a lot of money, if they don't it just means theyve been really lucky. But, trust me you will go on a very long losing streak and it is not fun at all. I personally got stuck over a Grand when I first started playing. This got me into a huge whole that was hard to get myself out of considering I didn't have a job at the time to pay it off. Making 2 BB an hr is already very good, it's not easy to make $40 an hour like some ppl say. The only players making $40 are those playing 10/20 and above, which will take a while to get to.If your 16 and you like the game, I recommend you play for play money, entering the odd tournament or 2. When your legal age and you still have a passion for poker, then you can try playing.

I read this post today and decided to start counting. I don't pretend that im a pro or anything, so i sit down and make 2 boats and get aces in 15 minutes. So playing 2/4 limit I made 100 in 15 minutes, so that makes 100 big bets an hour. Not bad eh?

Honestly private unless you are already a very good poker player (which is not likely unless you have been playing in underground clubs in Toronto for at least a year or two, which if this is true then your parents would already know about you playing poker) you are gonna get killed playing 2/4 online. Yes it sounds easy and the stakes don't sound like much, but you can easily go through $100 in 30 min. I would highly recommend you either play much lower stakes (like .25/.50 or .50/1) until you build your bankroll. I would say only invest $100 and until you hit like $500 then consider moving up. That or play $1 and $5 sit n goes and the occasional $5 multi if you want to go the tournament route. Most people overvalue their own skill and think online players are weak. They are often mistaken and are themselves weak players who constantly complain of getting unlucky or not getting the cards and use those excuses to keep on investing $ into sites without any real hope of winning in the long term. Start small and move up slowly.

LOL @ Smurrdogg! 100BB/hr...thats awesome!Today I sat down at 4 different tables, made 29 BB/hr at my first one, 28.18 BB/hr at the second one, 24.17 BB/hr at the third, and 1.17 BB/hr at the fourth. So that makes....82.52BB/hr! How do you do it!?

I'm probably the most unorganized high stakes poker player in the world. I started playing when I was about 18 and have been at it ever since (about 15 months). The first 8 months or so if I remember right were up and down at partypoker. I just about broke even which isn't bad considering i really wasn't as good as I am now. I mostly played $30 SnG's.Now I play nothing less then $200 SnG's and like the heads up at pokerstars. I also don't mind hitting up the $15/30 or $20/$40 tables once in a while, but I find the swings to be a little too stressful sometimes.Oh ya, how much have i made... I've made about 100k in the last 8 months. Last month was my slowest month I've had in a long time but still netted $4000 and won a seat to Copenhagen EPT later this month.This has actually inspired me to not start University and I truly believe making a career of poker is not easy but very doable with discipline and patience. I make most of my money using the KISS system (keep it simple stupid).I think if I have any tips to give to grind out a living on the internet it would be to play extremely tight. Also, and I know everyone knows this but REALLY REALLY try to stop when your having a losing day. Sometimes you can't even tell you were tilting till you look back at your session and think, ya i hit a bad beat, but what the hell was i doing in that hand with 6/7 or k/8 anyways. The world champions tilt, and if you think you don't your wrong.... everyone does.Goodluck everyone

Yeah, believe it or not, you can lose a crap load of money even at 2/4. I was having a pretty good session. My hourly was $50. Basically was up $250 after 5 hrs, then in 15 mins I dropped $100 while playing short handed. Sometimes, there's just nothing you can do. I raised pre-flop holding AK. I got called down by somebody holding 52 offsuit. I bet the whole way and the river hit a 2. Of course, this guy just didn't know how to play, I mean he checked down a full house after getting checked to. Sometimes you just run into opponents that are difficult to play against ie. they have no logical strategy at all and play any 2 cards. This just ticked me off considering I had a decent session until that happened.My whole point is you can probably lose your money a lot faster online than playing in a cardroom if the stakes are the same. You see a lot more hands and if your not a good player, your going to most likely lose. Everybody that starts out is usually a loser, I don't think you can become a good player until you've lost. You don't learn from your mistakes by winning.

I usually play $1/$2 no limit or pot limit ring games. That's currently my favorite stakes to play at. Even at $2/$4 the bankroll swings can be a bit much for me to take. Also at the $1/$2 level I find that my skill and experience can give me a slight edge over most of the competition found at those stakes.
ditto... i have yet to attempt the higher NL stakes because i can make a LOT of money (to me at least) playing very small stakes NL ring games. it's amazing how tight even $.25-$.50 NL players will play. at that level you're obviously against suckers (to be fair, 'new players) and if you aren't in the mood to gamble much but wanna make enough money to go drinking the next few nights the small stakes can be nice. to me, buying in at an online $.25-$50 table with $20 and leaving w/ $100 is quite fullfilling. i save my higher-stakes play for cash games because i don't have a lot of faith in my online game.
I'm probably the most unorganized high stakes poker player in the world.  I started playing when I was about 18 and have been at it ever since (about 15 months).  The first 8 months or so if I remember right were up and down at partypoker.  I just about broke even which isn't bad considering i really wasn't as good as I am now.  I mostly played $30 SnG's.Now I play nothing less then $200 SnG's and like the heads up at pokerstars.  I also don't mind hitting up the $15/30 or $20/$40 tables once in a while, but I find the swings to be a little too stressful sometimes.Oh ya, how much have i made... I've made about 100k in the last 8 months.  Last month was my slowest month I've had in a long time but still netted $4000 and won a seat to Copenhagen EPT later this month.This has actually inspired me to not start University and I truly believe making a career of poker is not easy but very doable with discipline and patience.  I make most of my money using the KISS system (keep it simple stupid).I think if I have any tips to give to grind out a living on the internet it would be to play extremely tight.  Also, and I know everyone knows this but REALLY REALLY try to stop when your having a losing day.  Sometimes you can't even tell you were tilting till you look back at your session and think, ya i hit a bad beat, but what the hell was i doing in that hand with 6/7 or k/8 anyways.  The world champions tilt, and if you think you don't your wrong.... everyone does.Goodluck everyone
honestly, if youve been able to make 100k in your 1st 8 months of playing, I think a lot of it is probably luck. Not to doubt your skill or anything like that, but I think luck has more to do about it than anything else. I mean even Daniel wasn't able to get a bankroll of 100k when he was the same age as you. He played with much less. You could still be a good player, but that's practically unheard of. Swings of luck can last for a long time or a short time, you should probably still go to school and play poker on the side. You'll have something to fall back on if poker doesn't work out. EIther way, that's really impressive what you've been able to do. I on the other hand am slowly grinding my way through the low limit and occassionally middle limit cash games. Still, it's a decent stable income I guess considering I still go to school as well.
I can't play the mirco nl table.  I think the varince are to high, so I stick to limits.I wons won $5.oo one night playing the .05-.10 table but if I make .50 I call it a good night.  My worst night I lost $2.25!!!!I don't mind losing cause it's free money.  I got $10 for signing up. When I make $30,  I might jump up to the .10-.20 table.
Where do you play?
That's a joke, right?I've lost hundreds in one day.Doublesuited, how accurate are those stats? Have you played over 10,000 hands (still a small sample)?Because i've recorded about 12,000 hands and make ~3.77BB/100 hands at stars. 4.00BB/100 hands at the .50/1 level and 3.71BB/100 hands at the 1/2 level. You might want to search for better games. I try to play only games with at least 40% plrs/flop. A good player at a B&M game should make about 1-1.5 BB/hr and they see only about 30 hands/hr. Online you average 60 hands/hr so you should make about 2-2.5 BB/hr.I play limits and have no clue about tournament money management or earnings. Are my calculations accurate?
my stats are over around 30K hands. I play at higher levels than you so the games have much better post-flop play. I used to play at Stars and PP has much better games in my humble opinion. If you are doing that well, you should probably move up levels if your have a bankroll. 2/4 will still be pretty soft. 3/6 is where you will see a larger skill increase.

Hi everyone. First off i'd just like to thank everyone here for giving me some advice and replying to my thread. First off, yeah i heard you could start an account using a bank account, so i setup a US account chequing and savings with some cash in there. (mostly for emergency use lol) it has about 10K U.S. but i ralely only plan on starting with about 200$ u.s. For the underground games in toronto, i played @ gamesclubs for chess and pool, and i've known people that make good money online like 500$ a day playing poker (but i doubt it is everyday like u said)I also spoke to other guys that said they've been playing 2-4 or 3-6 PL/NL for about a year or two online and they said they've made a few thousand dollars, and that the time and effort they put into it was not worth it. they also told me to know that online poker is in many ways different from live poker. You don't see the people you're playing with. People play with programmed bots. People collude with partners fairly easily over the phone or IM. Sites have been known to shut down and take your money. Many people complain of the sites themselves being "rigged". Also that if im planning to gain a signficant amount of $ playing online, that i would have to play at higher stakes. That being said, i think it is best to WAIT until i have a bankroll of about 10K (not my emergency money lol) and then start playing. I've been playing poker for about 2.5 years, but nothing compared to what i want to get myself into. Right now i just dont have enough money to start off, and i dont want to waste my time making like 5-7$ a hour on really low games. Really once i am about 18-19, i will play for probably higher stakes as that is the only realistic thing i can think of if i want to make decent $. btw, on an off-topic, i was watching @ pokerstars people playing for 100/200$ NL. The tables werent tight at all, and i saw people gain from like 4000$ to losing a couple thousand... Who are these guys? pros?I would just like to know if you guys think im making the right decision. I'm gonna continue to play poker and watch online games, just not gonna participate in them yet. For the next year or two, whatever i win @ chess is going into my poker fund :D