Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

It doesn't really matter. The game was in the bag...I just thought it was funny to see Osgood flop like that. I don't know when the whistle exactly blew compared to when Talbot did that but I doubt there was a ton of time there.
You are just being bitter. The puck was well frozen/whistle blown previous to that. Yes I'm sure he embellished it, but welcome to the soap opera of NHL goalies. I think the worst so far this playoffs was when Hudler got crosschecked and slid on his knees into Hiller and Hiller thought he had been shot in the head. LOL
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malkin apparently got a instigator minor (2min), fighting (5min), and game misconduct (10min), according to NHL rules:(NEW for 2005-06) A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.They will probably rescind this though.

Malkin apparently got a instigator minor (2min), fighting (5min), and game misconduct (10min), according to NHL rules:(NEW for 2005-06) A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.They will probably rescind this though.
the rule is clear...He should be suspended.
Wow what a joke. Way to keep it consistent. Just bend the rules to keep your "superstar" in the game.
Huh? Haven't watched much of the playoffs this year, have you?
Huh? Haven't watched much of the playoffs this year, have you?
I'm not referring to calls where it's at the discretion of the ref/league. As far as I know, the rule clearly states you instigate a fight, you are suspended. Apparently that doesn't apply to Malkin. That's alright, I'm glad he'll be on the ice next game. Maybe someone like Ericsson will see if he wants another tussle, even though Zetts spanked him anyway.
I'm not referring to calls where it's at the discretion of the ref/league. As far as I know, the rule clearly states you instigate a fight, you are suspended. Apparently that doesn't apply to Malkin. That's alright, I'm glad he'll be on the ice next game. Maybe someone like Ericsson will see if he wants another tussle, even though Zetts spanked him anyway.
This is where you're wrong.Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria."
This is where you're wrong.Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria."
So in other words, criteria is Malkin gives us good ratings so lets rescind it! Yay!I was going by this:(NEW for 2005-06) A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.Key word AUTOMATIC. Whatever. Hope he gets KronWALL'd.

The NHL really looks bush league in their interpretation of this rule...Its clearly simple, Malkin instigated a fight in the last two minutes of the game. The refs called it right by the book and gave the misconduct and the game ...Now they are saying its how the NHL disciplinarian interprets the rule...What bullshit is that...If it was Sean Avery in the exact same situation, we all know what would of happened to him...Rescind the penalty "based on a number of criteria"..Like the fact that the offending goofball is Evgeni Malkin??

The NHL really looks bush league in their interpretation of this rule...Its clearly simple, Malkin instigated a fight in the last two minutes of the game. The refs called it right by the book and gave the misconduct and the game ...Now they are saying its how the NHL disciplinarian interprets the rule...What bullshit is that...If it was Sean Avery in the exact same situation, we all know what would of happened to him...Rescind the penalty "based on a number of criteria"..Like the fact that the offending goofball is Evgeni Malkin??
Similar treatment was given to Ovechkin after his hit on Gonchar...no one should be even slightly surprised.

I guess Scott Walker brings ratings too, right? The whole point of the rule, which the league has stated repeatedly, is to keep people from trying to send a message. That clearly wasn't the case here.

So in other words, criteria is Malkin gives us good ratings so lets rescind it! Yay!I was going by this:(NEW for 2005-06) A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime, shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major for fighting, a ten minute misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. In addition, the player's coach shall be fined $10,000 -- a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.Key word AUTOMATIC. Whatever. Hope he gets KronWALL'd.
I guess Scott Walker brings ratings too, right? The whole point of the rule, which the league has stated repeatedly, is to keep people from trying to send a message. That clearly wasn't the case here.
I don't think Bylsma or Malkin were message sending at that point. Swap Godard in there instead of Malkin and that would be the case. Malkin was just frustrated and it boiled over after the Talbot incident.
Similar treatment was given to Ovechkin after his hit on Gonchar...no one should be even slightly surprised.
Not even close...Ovechkin incident is a judgement call..The Malkin "incident" is in the rules. If you get an instigator penalty in the last two minutes, you get suspended...The sending a message thing is a load of crap. Whats the point of the rule if its open for interpretation based on who the culprit is..I am 100% positive if its Talbot,Kennedy,Orpik or most of the non Crosby, Malkin Penguins, its not even an issue and the player is suspended today..and lol at the fact Malkin was boiled over Talbot incident..Talbot speared Osgood for no reason..Was it embellished, maybe...But he still speared him..It was just an immature act by a star player that needs to be punished..

Hate to be against a suspension in this thread but the rule clearly states that it will be reviewed and the punishment is based on a number of factors. I think the biggest factor that keeps Malkin in the game is that he is not an instigator and does not have a prior record. For that reason alone, I have no issue with him getting a pass.

It's the playoffs....no suspensions. I'm as much a Red Wing fan as anyone here, but it's playoff time. Rules are a bit different in the playoffs that was understood to be the case 15 years ago, before the Bettman era.

Having a rule that gives an "automatic" suspension that can be revoked is stupid.I don't think he should be suspended for a post whistle scrum anyways, and it's clearly not "message sending" anyways, but the rule itself is dumb as balls.

Not even close...Ovechkin incident is a judgement call..The Malkin "incident" is in the rules. If you get an instigator penalty in the last two minutes, you get suspended...The sending a message thing is a load of crap. Whats the point of the rule if its open for interpretation based on who the culprit is..I am 100% positive if its Talbot,Kennedy,Orpik or most of the non Crosby, Malkin Penguins, its not even an issue and the player is suspended today..and lol at the fact Malkin was boiled over Talbot incident..Talbot speared Osgood for no reason..Was it embellished, maybe...But he still speared him..It was just an immature act by a star player that needs to be punished..
I know you're just trolling, but I'll bite.Why wasn't Scott Walker suspended?
I know you're just trolling, but I'll bite.Why wasn't Scott Walker suspended?
i dont know about that one as I didnt pay attention..Only comment on what I see..next person that calls me a troll, will be in SERIOUS trouble. :club:
How is that similar? What Ovechkin did does not carry an automatic suspension. And according to 90% of analysts, it was obviously unintentional.
Having a rule that gives an "automatic" suspension that can be revoked is stupid.I don't think he should be suspended for a post whistle scrum anyways, and it's clearly not "message sending" anyways, but the rule itself is dumb as balls.
I didn't know throwing haymakers and vicious uppercuts to an unexpecting Zetterberg was considered a "post whistle scrum"! LOL But yeah, I was 95% sure he wouldn't be suspended anyway.