How "calling Stations" Help Me Win

While many people want to discuss how playing with luckboxes who call anything hurts their chances; or the other side saying they like to play against bad players, etc.Something which comes up all the time in the small stakes games in which I play:IMO, vs decent players (Defn: Tight Aggro, emphasis on tight, probably read 2 books and solid winner at currrent level, type) you can not only bluff more; but can also assume their big bets are not bluffs.Well duh.Ok, it's not quite coming out as dramatic as it was in my head (not that it was earth shattering even there)Bottom line: Calling Stations keep decent TAGs more honest; thus making your decision to trust the TAGs agression, easier.As the skill level improves and players chase less often with improper odds, then bluffing can have more success. I guess I'm not saying any more than an extension of the "Dont' Bluff Calling Stations". The extension being that other decent players are probably bluffing "you" less than you fear unless they have a strong enough read on you; one that would give them evidence you weren't a standard low stakes donk.

Enjoyed your post. Very insightfull. You should consider doing more of these tips. I have a few topics to suggest....1. Playing live 2/4 lhe. I am getting great cards...KK/JJ/AQ/AK/10 10.......however....calling station donks are eating me up. my KK...raise...donk calls...I bet all the way UI on a small card board. Donk shows 6 9o and made 2 pair on the turn. More of the same......after 2 hrs, I still haven't dragged a pot. I'm down @ 20 bb. is it time to rack em and walk?2. Dealing with aggrotards online. People who see every flop. Or raise pf with ANY (1) facecard. Then bet out on any flop. I play TAG and when one of these come into the game......I wont call to see a flop unless I have a hand that I don't mind getting raised with. So I end up folding ALOT pf. I know they are ATM's if your getting cards but if your not....they just run you over. Switch tables?

I'm pretty sure I know what your saying. TAGs who are capable of running a bluff are not likely to do it if theres a calling station in that hand with you.I think this has a few variables on the TAG, like is he aware of image, is he stupid enough to try and bluff the river in a large multi-way pot. (I'm assuming your talking about LHE?)

ok, another manifestation of what I'm trying to say...Playing PLO/8 STT, I bluff on river after semi bluffing both flop and turn, the other guy is almost never going to come over the top without a big hand because he "knows these donkeys can't fold"

ok, another manifestation of what I'm trying to say...Playing PLO/8 STT, I bluff on river after semi bluffing both flop and turn, the other guy is almost never going to come over the top without a big hand because he "knows these donkeys can't fold"
no. in plo8 you often triple barrel because if he had a hand he could call the river with he would have put in more action on the flop or the turn. the key is in knowing what draw he was holding.
no. in plo8 you often triple barrel because if he had a hand he could call the river with he would have put in more action on the flop or the turn. the key is in knowing what draw he was holding.
I losing so much today playing PLO/8 STTs it may be my last night of pokerAnd I agree with what you said.But also, he's less likely to re-bluff you because you will call

also, to add.when playing vs a random table with 1 or 2 calling stations.when you feel, have a read. whatever, that you're ahead in the hand. always bet the max. I know this sounds super standard, but too many people shy away when in the actual situation.they would rather win a smaller pot, and avoid the risk of losing a bigger pot if the calling station gets lucky.as easy as it sounds, and as straight forward as the math is, Dont get side tracked. charge the max and smile.remember, people like giving money to people who take it with class.

also, to add.when playing vs a random table with 1 or 2 calling stations.when you feel, have a read. whatever, that you're ahead in the hand. always bet the max. I know this sounds super standard, but too many people shy away when in the actual situation.they would rather win a smaller pot, and avoid the risk of losing a bigger pot if the calling station gets lucky.
That is actually something I really need to work on.It's as if subconsciencly I'm trying to lessen the pain of getting sucked out on.You'd think I'd trust the math and long run odds
That is actually something I really need to work on.It's as if subconsciencly I'm trying to lessen the pain of getting sucked out on.You'd think I'd trust the math and long run odds
starting to feel like you are going to get sucked out on to me is a sign to call an end to a session. no matter if its true and you are running bad or not if you feel that way it means you are not playing your best. maybe not what you meant but you sort of sound like it right there.
  • 3 weeks later...