Hsp 500k : Last Episode

I didn't know Beal didn't play full ring NLHE. Even so, I think he would consider playing in a game this big on TV. The reason Laliberte isn't on the list is simple. Laliberte has no real poker abilities. He is at the level of a random player at .1/.2 on Pokerstars. There are two reasons he had some moderate success on this season of HSP. The first being that every other player at the table was hesitant to get into big confrontations with him because of how rich he is. They know that he will not hesitate to lose millions in that game. That makes playing against him that much tougher, when a guy like that has no fear. Second, he hit some key cards to win some big pots (I.E. when he filled up on the river against Farha's flush). But he still lost some serious pots. The biggest being that 1.3 million dollar pot when he doubled Doyle up with just ace rag.I think a guy like that should not be allowed to play in such a big game just because he has a lot of money. Yes it was fun having him on this season of HSP, but I really think they should expand their player base to some of the biggest and most talented players out there. Not just the players with the most discretionary income.
Fair enough.I did think it quite interesting at times though when, like you say, even some of the biggest name pros in the world were seemingly afraid to tangle with him. Just something that I've not seen from those guys before, and a new aspect to the show.Obv I'm not saying fill it all with just billionaires (I like the idea that some of the new online stars get a chance), but it's good to have maybe one or two. And imo, Laliberte has earned an invite back.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the discussions in this thread are ridiculous.IT'S POKER! It's a boring game. That's what it is. Not every hand can be some extraordinary adventure. If you don't like the way the show is, don't watch. Complaining about it and how it's put together seems kind of silly since it's far better than any other poker show on TV IMO.There were HUGE pots. Yeah, some of them were chopped, but there were regularly 200k pots being shipped around the table and Doyle won an $800k pot against Guy. There were good plays, bad plays, boring plays, spectacular plays (DN shoving on Sammy with 88) and spectacular reads (Antonio instantly calling DN's hand as 88).You guys act like HSP owes you something more exciting than what they gave you. It's a poker show. It's 17 episodes made up of only a few days of actual poker. Cutting out the banter and thought processes in the hands to get more hands into the hour of TV is pointless. That's why the show is as interesting as it is - becuase you get to see the great players making big decisions and talking each other into and out of calling. If you wanna watch people close their eyes and shove and have the action over and move ot the next hand, watch the WPT.

I didn't know Beal didn't play full ring NLHE. Even so, I think he would consider playing in a game this big on TV. The reason Laliberte isn't on the list is simple. Laliberte has no real poker abilities. He is at the level of a random player at .1/.2 on Pokerstars. There are two reasons he had some moderate success on this season of HSP. The first being that every other player at the table was hesitant to get into big confrontations with him because of how rich he is. They know that he will not hesitate to lose millions in that game. That makes playing against him that much tougher, when a guy like that has no fear. Second, he hit some key cards to win some big pots (I.E. when he filled up on the river against Farha's flush). But he still lost some serious pots. The biggest being that 1.3 million dollar pot when he doubled Doyle up with just ace rag.I think a guy like that should not be allowed to play in such a big game just because he has a lot of money. Yes it was fun having him on this season of HSP, but I really think they should expand their player base to some of the biggest and most talented players out there. Not just the players with the most discretionary income.
ROFL, I think you might have a hard time convincing the pros this. I think you're missing the point of playing poker.
Oh, and LOL.
IDK, the whole statement about Laliberte seem ridiculous. I mean you say that playing against him because he has all that money makes him that much tougher to play against. Um, isn't that more or less the basis of the Beal vs. Corporation game was about. He challenged the Corp. at high stakes, something that would make it more difficult to play against, it gave Beal an edge.Sorry, but I just lol'd at the whole statement about why Laliberte shouldn't play-because he's rich.

I think this talk of Brad Booth is greatly exaggerated too. He's pretty much broke from last I heard playing 2-4plo. No, not 200-400 but 2-4. That's a pretty huge fall in a year, and even though he chucked random bricks (when backed by, I believe, Guy) at Ivey, I doubt he's on their level if he fell that hard that fast.Poker has dudes that shoot up out of nowhere that people claim are the best players all the time and then they go away. I want to see more Daniel Alaei personally. Same with Haralabob just because he's funny. Obv Jamie Gold is good for the game. I could do without BG, I like Eli more than Farha and they play similarly, then Antonius and online guys would be fun to watch. Maybe some Gus too. Wouldn't mind watching Tony G either, if he could shut up.(This list took me 13 seconds to come up with)

He did make a final table aswell remember...I'm pretty sure aswell that Dwan and and Townsend have the BR or the stupidity to play a 1mil buy-in. I don't think they want to play either cause it takes so long, Townsend mentioned in his blog they only get through 17 hands an hour because of tv and deal making.HSP should be about good interesting poker, not a penis measuring contest over who will straddle the most.

I think this talk of Brad Booth is greatly exaggerated too. He's pretty much broke from last I heard playing 2-4plo. No, not 200-400 but 2-4. That's a pretty huge fall in a year, and even though he chucked random bricks (when backed by, I believe, Guy) at Ivey, I doubt he's on their level if he fell that hard that fast.Poker has dudes that shoot up out of nowhere that people claim are the best players all the time and then they go away. I want to see more Daniel Alaei personally. Same with Haralabob just because he's funny. Obv Jamie Gold is good for the game. I could do without BG, I like Eli more than Farha and they play similarly, then Antonius and online guys would be fun to watch. Maybe some Gus too. Wouldn't mind watching Tony G either, if he could shut up.(This list took me 13 seconds to come up with)
Obv brag postand Jamie Gold is not good for anything expect giving me headaches. EDIT: I just figured out what Jamie Gold is good for, if you have a fat ugly wife and you want to get out of having sex with her, but are tired of lying, watch Jamie Gold play poker. Insta headache and get out of gross sex card. Al Bundy should have been so lucky!
I read somewhere he's gone off poker and has taken a lot of money out of his BR for investments.And if Jamie Gold comes back i'm not watching again.
QFT. Totally forgot about him.His subtle wind-up methods towards Hellmuth were great too. Seems like a v. intelligent player, but some of his 'good' moves were either just badly timed or didn't work against either bad (I forget what that old guy's names was) or tilted players, if I recall correctly. I'd like to see him back for sure.
He did make a final table aswell remember...I'm pretty sure aswell that Dwan and and Townsend have the BR or the stupidity to play a 1mil buy-in. I don't think they want to play either cause it takes so long, Townsend mentioned in his blog they only get through 17 hands an hour because of tv and deal making.HSP should be about good interesting poker, not a penis measuring contest over who will straddle the most.
I'll go out on a limb saying that Dwan or Townsend would insta-accept an invite to a 1-mill game featuring any assortment of players. Once they are told the table will be featuring Sammy, Guy, and Jamie I think they'd be in heaven.
QFT. Totally forgot about him.His subtle wind-up methods towards Hellmuth were great too. Seems like a v. intelligent player, but some of his 'good' moves were either just badly timed or didn't work against either bad (I forget what that old guy's names was) or tilted players, if I recall correctly. I'd like to see him back for sure.
He's got a show with Scott Huff on pokerroad.com, each Sunday new episode. He's pretty funny. He was by far the best Circuit interview ever, talking crap about Freddy Deeb etc. Too funny.

i know im gonna get flamed for this, but after watching durr in some interviwes, i cant imagine he would be fun to watch ...i think having guy in the lineup made the 500k watchable. pretty much the rest was a snooze fest. other than the aa vs kk hand <gold farha>guy was in the middle of the action..bring back guy, bring back gold...we need the entertainment...

I completely understand why most solid poker players want rich players to come sit with them and play. But from a pure entertainment and quality standpoint, I think you could find a better suited player to sit in Gee's spot. I think that it would make for a much more entertaining show where the players are all somewhat seasoned, know each other well, and don't play scared against one another. Like I said before, when you have a billionaire donkey playing with you, it can either be extremely +ev or extremely -ev, depending on how the fish is running. Guy should obv. be allowed to play with whomever he wants and at whatever limits he wants, but I wasn't trying to point out why Guy Laliberte is good for HSP, I was simply citing a fantasy table with some of the most established and well known poker players out there.Some people fail to see the distinction.

Like I said before, when you have a billionaire donkey playing with you, it can either be extremely +ev or extremely -ev, depending on how the fish is running.
I think you don't understand the meaning of EV. It's always +++++EV for the other players to have Guy at the table.
I think you don't understand the meaning of EV. It's always +++++EV for the other players to have Guy at the table.
i agree with this 100%,it was fun watching him play. he did finish up $$ did he not? im asking because, im too lazy to search for my self .. :club:
LOL. What an asanine comment. If the donkey has a great session, he's hitting cards, overbetting pots, etc. Doing everything he can to play badly and win pots, it is - EV. But if he is stacking off with top pair time and time again, is a ++++EV situation. Just because a bad player sits down at the table doesn't by any stretch of the word, guarantee you a piece of his stack.
LOL. What an asanine comment. If the donkey has a great session, he's hitting cards, overbetting pots, etc. Doing everything he can to play badly and win pots, it is - EV. But if he is stacking off with top pair time and time again, is a ++++EV situation. Just because a bad player sits down at the table doesn't by any stretch of the word, guarantee you a piece of his stack.
umm ok...every time a bad player sits at your table...its +ev....if hes getting lucky , what can you do... still, when he wins it will be for smaller amounts than what you take off of him when his "streak" runs out. good players can minimize losses while bad players tend to get deeper and deeper...imo...
umm ok...every time a bad player sits at your table...its +ev....if hes getting lucky , what can you do... still, when he wins it will be for smaller amounts than what you take off of him when his "streak" runs out. good players can minimize losses while bad players tend to get deeper and deeper...imo...
Listen man, I play a lot of poker with a lot of people. I have seen the worst poker players making the most fundamentally un-sound plays and win session after session. I have also seen the flipside of that coin, where the bad players at basically funding my college education along with my BMW and my house. I understand the thinking that a bad player at the table is always a good thing, because it is. But the results might not be nearly as good as the prospect of having him sit down at the table with a player like myself or numerous other players on this site and around the world. I have lost money to bad players, and won money from bad players. I think on a generic level, it is +EV to have Guy at the table, but on a deeper level, it can be both good and bad.

EV is your expected value. Having Guy at the table increases everyone at the tables winrate. Their expected value is higher than if it were a stronger player. This accounts for Guy hitting hands over and over. It doesn't matter how he's running. You are either better than him and winning money from him long-term or you aren't.Sure people can win that are worse than others. That's why poker is fun and why fish continue to play. Just because a fish is winning and hitting left in right it doesn't mean my EV has gone down. In fact it has likely gone up. Guy winning chips makes everyone happy. If he is losing chips they went to another player that is probably solid and isn't giving chips away.Your point is that Guy can win (I think). That's true. I'm fairly sure the pros at the table are quite alright with that prospect.

Skillz, I see what you are saying. I think that we all use the term +ev too loosely now that I think about it. But I think you understand what I am trying to say.