so what's the opinion on the Lebron-Barkley feud?IMO I tend to agree with Barkley on this one. Lebron is being a bit disrespectful to his team...altho it IS creating tonnes of media attention.
I think it all depends on his relationship with his teammates.
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You didn't finish college, what's he supposed to think?

I remember Jalen Rose talking about taking money once. Like, people become outraged and act like it's a bunch of greedy assholes ruining the integrity of the game, but even if you have a problem with

LBJ > MJ

so what's the opinion on the Lebron-Barkley feud?IMO I tend to agree with Barkley on this one. Lebron is being a bit disrespectful to his team...altho it IS creating tonnes of media attention.
I think it's absurd. I love Barkley, but he's just wrong here. It's not like Lebrons teammates are stupid and don't already know A)that lebron is the biggest star and talent in the NBA B) that he's a free again in 2010 C) that when B occurs, because of A, he's going to be attractive to many teams and is not likely to stay in cleveland. Anyone with a brain already knows that, and it's not going to effect them. They know the NBA is a business, they know 'Bron is going to get his in 2010, and they aren't going to begrudge him. They are just going to try and ride his coat tails as hard as they can as long as they can, while they can. The fact is, as a player, on the court, Lebron, out of all the young stars, is the most unselfish non-point guard out there, he always gets his teammates involved. Barkley is just blowing hot air, and frankly is a compete hypocritical about causing distractions, as I remember he was openly vocal and fueding with the 76 management, in the end demanding to be traded.
I think it's absurd. I love Barkley, but he's just wrong here. It's not like Lebrons teammates are stupid and don't already know A)that lebron is the biggest star and talent in the NBA B) that he's a free again in 2010 C) that when B occurs, because of A, he's going to be attractive to many teams and is not likely to stay in cleveland. Anyone with a brain already knows that, and it's not going to effect them. They know the NBA is a business, they know 'Bron is going to get his in 2010, and they aren't going to begrudge him. They are just going to try and ride his coat tails as hard as they can as long as they can, while they can. The fact is, as a player, on the court, Lebron, out of all the young stars, is the most unselfish non-point guard out there, he always gets his teammates involved. Barkley is just blowing hot air, and frankly is a compete hypocritical about causing distractions, as I remember he was openly vocal and fueding with the 76 management, in the end demanding to be traded.
Yes and no.There is no way his team should be having to deal with a free agency period that is over a year away, he has almost two full seasons to play before then and shouldn't be doing anything to fuel media speculation on it.If he wanted to act like a professional he would be saying "I'll answer those questions when I become a free agent, ask me in July 2010, not now."
Pah, "acting like a professional" is silly. he's a professional basketball player, his profession is on the court, and his teammates don't seem alienated from him there. Let him answer the questions honestly ( or semi honestly), everyone knows the truth anyway. His teammates would have to handle questions about his future no matter what he said ( along with all other manner of questions about him) Lebron's every existence is a "distraction". Any teammate with a brain will know that dealing with that distraction is a small price to pay for playing with a player of Lebron's talent ( and on court unselfishness)
Pah, "acting like a professional" is silly. he's a professional basketball player, his profession is on the court, and his teammates don't seem alienated from him there. Let him answer the questions honestly ( or semi honestly), everyone knows the truth anyway. His teammates would have to handle questions about his future no matter what he said ( along with all other manner of questions about him) Lebron's every existence is a "distraction". Any teammate with a brain will know that dealing with that distraction is a small price to pay for playing with a player of Lebron's talent ( and on court unselfishness)
If he is spending time right now worried about where he is signing in 2010, then he isn't being unselfish. If he is working toward marketing himself for that time frame (which he doesn't exactly need to) then he is being a distraction. Let's not forget he wants to be the first billionaire in team sports and has stated that as a goal, and there are times I wonder if that isn't a bigger goal for him than winning a NBA title. I get the feeling if we ever see Lebron win a ring the first thing he is going to do is call his agent and ask what types of new offers he has for endorsements.I don't think we would see something like this...278097.jpg
If he is spending time right now worried about where he is signing in 2010, then he isn't being unselfish.
So what? What does any of that have to do with the way he plays on the court? On-court unselfishness > off court selfishness. This is a complete non issue that only exists because of the media.Also, you may want to reconsider using Jordan as your counter-point to off court selfishness and marketing interest. Jordan was just about as self interested as any athlete has ever been. It's just his personal goals aligned to the team goals. Read "Jordan Rules" if you want to find out what kind of "great teammate" he was. He was a great player, not a great teammate or person.

LeBron is what the media and we have made him. He was bigger than most NBA players when he was still in HighSchool. Thats bound to affect the way you conduct yourself professionally. People make hundreds of millions of dollars off him. He doesnt deserve to manage how much he gets? This is America, for christs sake.

Also, you may want to reconsider using Jordan as your counter-point to off court selfishness and marketing interest. Jordan was just about as self interested as any athlete has ever been. It's just his personal goals aligned to the team goals. Read "Jordan Rules" if you want to find out what kind of "great teammate" he was. He was a great player, not a great teammate or person.
Jordan recreated how sports and marketing went hand in hand, but he never made it a point of discussion that could be distracting to his teammates. He never openly talked about leaving the team two years down the road and don't think teams like NY/LA wouldn't have loved to get him.My comparison is simple, when you saw MJ play and how he reacted to winning and losing, he showed more emotion for the game than I've ever seen out of Lebron. I don't care how unselfish he is on the court, he acts like he plays as if it's a means to get more publicity, not to win.A book written by a guy who spent most of his time bashing Jordan, yea that's a clear unbiased approach to finding out information. Pretty much any review I ever read of that book said that it's pretty clear the author hates MJ and wanted to nitpick ways to bash him. I've seen the snippy quotes from the book that I'm willing to bet a lot were taken out of context or presented with an inaccurate tone.
Jordan recreated how sports and marketing went hand in hand, but he never made it a point of discussion that could be distracting to his teammates. He never openly talked about leaving the team two years down the road and don't think teams like NY/LA wouldn't have loved to get him.My comparison is simple, when you saw MJ play and how he reacted to winning and losing, he showed more emotion for the game than I've ever seen out of Lebron. I don't care how unselfish he is on the court, he acts like he plays as if it's a means to get more publicity, not to win.A book written by a guy who spent most of his time bashing Jordan, yea that's a clear unbiased approach to finding out information. Pretty much any review I ever read of that book said that it's pretty clear the author hates MJ and wanted to nitpick ways to bash him. I've seen the snippy quotes from the book that I'm willing to bet a lot were taken out of context or presented with an inaccurate tone.
Ask Kwame brown what a good team mate he was, ask steve Kerr who jordan punched in the nose. Listen, I'm not going to go on and on about what a horrible human Jordan was, what made him the greatest player also made him a bad person, and a not so great team mate. Also, your Jordan memory is beautifying, because he often had disputes with Krause and 'Dorf, that he would bring into the media, sniping them. That was part of Phil Jackson's over all motivational ploy for that team ,was to make it us verses them, to win inspite of Krause and 'Dorf. I loved Jordan as a player about as much as I've loved any professional athlete, but he was about as self interested and self promotional as any team athelete has ever been ( if your goal is to be the greatest of all time, you pretty much have to be) and I think saying(about Lebron):
I don't care how unselfish he is on the court, he acts like he plays as if it's a means to get more publicity, not to win.
Is simply absurd, and makes me wonder if we're really watching the same guy, because every playoff series I've ever seen lebron play he's played his heart out. I don't know what more you want him to do on court to prove to you he wants to win.
Is simply absurd, and makes me wonder if we're really watching the same guy, because every playoff series I've ever seen lebron play he's played his heart out. I don't know what more you want him to do on court to prove to you he wants to win.
I've seen plenty of games where after they lose, he just looks like he doesn't care.I can tell you this, if I was one of there teammates I'd hate to be on Jordan's team after a loss compared to Lebron's.
I've seen plenty of games where after they lose, he just looks like he doesn't care.
I care a lot more about how he plays during the game then how he looks like after the game. Critisms like this about Lebron again to me are non issues, the only thing that matters is how he performs on the court, not how he looks while he's doing it ( or after he's done it)
I've seen plenty of games where after they lose, he just looks like he doesn't care.I can tell you this, if I was one of there teammates I'd hate to be on Jordan's team after a loss compared to Lebron's.
Maybe he really doesn't care.... I mean it's hard to keep that intensity for the entire season.

People swear Jordan bullwhipped his teammates after every loss or something. What's wrong with losing a game with integrity? Also, these guys are adults and understand a regular season loss in December isn't a huge deal in the big picture. If you want crying, false hustle, and exaggerated emotion go watch college basketball. Don't mistake activity for achievement.Sorry if I was a little mean and standoffish, the Lakers just lost a stupid game and I haven't slept in like 40 hours.

People swear Jordan bullwhipped his teammates after every loss or something. What's wrong with losing a game with integrity? Also, these guys are adults and understand a regular season loss in December isn't a huge deal in the big picture. If you want crying, false hustle, and exaggerated emotion go watch college basketball. Don't mistake activity for achievement.Sorry if I was a little mean and standoffish, the Lakers just lost a stupid game and I haven't slept in like 40 hours.
yeah, I don't think that because Jordan's teammates feared him that it makes him a good teammate. It might make the team more successful, but you have to have just the right teammates who will take that sort of abuse, and also be pretty much the greatest player in the game so you don't lose credibility. I don't think Jordan's approach would work very often, and really, isn't that the coaches job anyway, to motivate? I don't think it's a knock on LeBron that he isn't as pathologically, dysfunctional competitive as Jordan. There are other ways to motivate and lead your teammates besides fear.
yeah, I don't think that because Jordan's teammates feared him that it makes him a good teammate. It might make the team more successful, but you have to have just the right teammates who will take that sort of abuse, and also be pretty much the greatest player in the game so you don't lose credibility. I don't think Jordan's approach would work very often, and really, isn't that the coaches job anyway, to motivate? I don't think it's a knock on LeBron that he isn't as pathologically, dysfunctional competitive as Jordan. There are other ways to motivate and lead your teammates besides fear.
Yeah, I've heard some of his former teammates say that's partly why they didn't win before they did, because he just ran guys into the ground and they wilted under pressure. Personally I don't think that aspect of his leadership had much to do with them winning. They just had really good teams and if your best player is going 100% every night they will follow you.
Yeah, I've heard some of his former teammates say that's partly why they didn't win before they did, because he just ran guys into the ground and they wilted under pressure. Personally I don't think that aspect of his leadership had much to do with them winning. They just had really good teams and if your best player is going 100% every night they will follow you.
agreed.

it was impossible to play with Jordan back in the day - he was practically perfect and insanely competitive - thus it was always his teammates fault when they lost - and he used to embarrass them one on one in practicethey didn't become good until players like Horace Grant had the balls to talk back to michaelscottie pippen went through hell dealing with the comparisons for years and finally stepped upI was in chicago when pippen was a rookie - he'd go on a bulls tv show and someone would say "Scottie you only shoot 70% from the line and Michael can make 10 of 10 with his eyes closed - what's your problem?"

Factoring in his age, abilities, and everything else...1) Will he break every record in the books before his career is over?2) Will he average a triple double for an entire season?I say yes to both...
I think not... He is not a great shooter like MJ and Kobe... He only have a high FG because most of his shot came from a dunk :club:
I think not... He is not a great shooter like MJ and Kobe... He only have a high FG because most of his shot came from a dunk :club:
What does how he gets his points matter when considering something like scoring record? I mean, if he could shoot lights out it would be great for him, but he doesn't need it. What I'd like to see him develop is a better free throw.
What does how he gets his points matter when considering something like scoring record? I mean, if he could shoot lights out it would be great for him, but he doesn't need it. What I'd like to see him develop is a better free throw.
Because eventually he is going to lose a step, he isn't going to be the best athlete in the league for the next 10 years, guys get younger he gets older... he could blow out a knee tomorrow night and never be the same again. It's way to early to even think about something like that.
Because eventually he is going to lose a step, he isn't going to be the best athlete in the league for the next 10 years, guys get younger he gets older... he could blow out a knee tomorrow night and never be the same again. It's way to early to even think about something like that.
hater
I love the Cavs and LeBron is doing NOTHING disrespectful to the team. He isn't the one bringing up 2010 every day. It's the media. For what he's going through, I think he's handled it very well. All he says is, "I play for the Cavs right now." What else could he say that wouldn't be 'disrespectufl' to the Cavs?I would prefer if he didn't wear shoes specifically designed for New York everytime the Cavs played there though. That's just showing a little too much love for the opposing city.
I get the feeling if we ever see Lebron win a ring the first thing he is going to do is call his agent and ask what types of new offers he has for endorsements.
What has he ever done that would make you think this?

QUOTE (Jadaki @ Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008, 1:04 PM) I get the feeling if we ever see Lebron win a ring the first thing he is going to do is call his agent and ask what types of new offers he has for endorsements.Well then he'd have learned something from Michael then wouldn't he?