College Students

Hi, I was just wondering how many hours a week you college guys spend playing poker. Also, how do you force yourself to study when you need to? I am finding that I want to play poker more and more and study less and less. Thank you

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I was just wondering how many hours a week you college guys spend playing poker. Also, how do you force yourself to study when you need to? I am finding that I want to play poker more and more and study less and less. Thank you
dont study near your computer or room for one thing. when i need to get stuff done i always head to the library i dont play nearly as much volume as the other guys but i find that personally when i need to get work done its not bad. the one thing is that i wish i had more time that i could dedicate to studying the game as whenever i do find time i only want to play.

I'm the worst. I try to study but I always have my laptop with me so I end up playing instead. I guess if you pay really close attention in class you won't have to study. Try to set a schedule for studying. Like an hour in the morning or something. Probably be hard to keep up with but at least try.

Thanks for the replies guys. Another problem is that I also have a girlfriend who doesnt really like it when i ignore her by playing poker all night when i have nothing to study for. I do think having a set schedule of studying will help, but I can see myself veering away from that set schedule pretty easily. Studying in the library will help because then I wont even be tempted to play.

Thanks for the replies guys. Another problem is that I also have a girlfriend who doesnt really like it when i ignore her by playing poker all night when i have nothing to study for. I do think having a set schedule of studying will help, but I can see myself veering away from that set schedule pretty easily. Studying in the library will help because then I wont even be tempted to play.
also if u can just stay focused you get the work done faster and then you can get to making mobneys sooner. my problem lately has been seeing the girl who lives in the apartment across the hall. both school and poker are suffering but meh, who cares :club:

It's not that tough for me at least. When I'm in school, priorities are1. Schoolwork2. Partying3. PokerI'll usually squeeze in a session after classes and before dinner, but if I have work to do I don't play poker until it's done, it's a very simple method that works pretty well.

Easier to be a cash game grinder or even play SNGs. Must be tough to play high volume MTTs and deal with the school.
Exactly, MTT volume goes way down when school's in, cash games are much easier because it's rare that I'll have a 5-6 hour block of time that I can set aside to play MTTs.
It's not that tough for me at least. When I'm in school, priorities are1. Schoolwork2. Partying3. PokerI'll usually squeeze in a session after classes and before dinner, but if I have work to do I don't play poker until it's done, it's a very simple method that works pretty well.
That is the same order I have been using Zimmer. It doesn't seem that hard and I've done well so far, but i can feel myself slipping and wanted to get some feedback before it became a problem.
That is the same order I have been using Zimmer. It doesn't seem that hard and I've done well so far, but i can feel myself slipping and wanted to get some feedback before it became a problem.
It's not really something I can give you advice on other than have the willpower to study when you want to play poker. Just get the work done in the afternoon then play poker at night when games are softer anyways. However, don't play on Thursday-Saturday nights, get out and enjoy your college years.

I think I'm already gone. I find myself thinking about poker nonstop. Heck even as I write this I'm thing of a hand I played yesterday. Just limit yourself on how much you play poker. Go be with your girlfriend on some of the nights you want to play.

This probably doesn't really help, but ... I'm a professor and I have the same problem. I'm supposed to be writing a lecture today. So far ... not done ... though I did answer a few e-mails from students this morning.I agree with the scheduling idea. Figure out what time of day works best for you to study (and which works best for play) and then schedule yourself accordingly. Knowing that you have time scheduled for what you enjoy doing might help you devote the time that you scheduled for schoolwork to actually doing the schoolwork.Another trick is to set a schoolwork goal that you have to reach before you "allow" yourself to play. Then, you'll focus on getting the schoolwork done efficiently (and early in the day) so that you can have the rest of the day free to do whatever you want without feeling guilty. As a lifelong procrastinator, I have used this strategy to force myself to get things done for years. I break big projects down into little tasks and set deadlines for myself along the way. When I meet one of my mini-deadlines, I give myself a reward (such as doing something fun). For example, "I will do a lit search to gather material for my paper ... then I can play poker with the rest of the afternoon." It's corney, but it works.

To add to what I said, right now you're a student. That comes first. You don't want to be the guy staying in his room on a Friday night playing poker ignoring his friends. I could understand if that was your sole income but it probably isn't. Right now the game should be something fun for you. It was probably one of the best things that happened to me when I found it but now I do what I just said above. Don't be that guy not yet anyway. On a side note did you ever get aim? I tried to sign into my Hotmail account for the first time in a year but I don't know my password or the answer to my own question.

I know I was having a hard time these first few weeks balancing school and poker and also just hanging out with friends. I'd find myself always cramming for tests and rushing to meet homework deadlines and so my grades have suffered un poco. What I did was sat down and made a list of all my time commitments that don't change from week to week (class, work, etc) and then made an excel spreadsheet with those items in first. I then looked at everything that I need to make time for every day (studying mainly, but also lunch/dinner, shower etc) and then things that I wanted to do (poker, hang out with friends, watch tv, etc).I then fit in the various things into my schedule with the time slots that they worked best. Now when I follow my schedule, not only do I spend more time studying than I used to, I also spend more time playing poker, and just having fun too. I highly suggest you try something like this because I doubt you realize how much time you waste until you map out your day.

i have started to play while studying it forces me to look at the stuff. i read 60 pages of the illiad last week while 2 tabling it is alright cuz i am focused on the poker but in btw hands i get at least a half page read. it took me a while but i got it done.p.s. im a bad example cuz i dont study even if i am not playing i just dont like school work and cheating on HW and tests is very +ev

It's not usually hard to fit poker in, but sometimes I don't feel like doing the homework so I procrastinate.My classes are like this MWF 11-12, 1:15-2:20 and TTH: 8-9:40, 9:50-11:30so that leaves the majority of the day to do what I please.None of my classes require much work so I usually play/sleep/watch tv during the day and do hw at night... but most of the time the homework is some minor reading.

i have started to play while studying it forces me to look at the stuff. i read 60 pages of the illiad last week while 2 tabling it is alright cuz i am focused on the poker but in btw hands i get at least a half page read. it took me a while but i got it done.p.s. im a bad example cuz i dont study even if i am not playing i just dont like school work and cheating on HW and tests is very +ev
i do this sometimes when doing stats or accounting but i cant focus enough if i am doing readings.
It's not that tough for me at least. When I'm in school, priorities are1. Schoolwork2. Partying3. Poker
Just so you college guys know, once you graduate it will change to this:1. Poker2. Job3. FamilyAnd 2 & 3 might be reversed.

#1 Make sure u have fun...dont ever miss a party or hanging out with friends to stay in and play poker...ever#2 Playing 1 MTT or cash game and studying for an exam doesnt work. Trust me Ive tried it too many times...lol#3 Wake up...do your work in the morning...and then do other stuff like poker when its done...set goals on what u wanna accomplish each day with ur work...and once u have accomplished them u should be alright when it comes to work and exams and stuff...

I agree with the general tenor of the comments thus far. Put this in perspective, you have a limited amount of time in college (usually four years, but I suspect that will not be enough for Erik) and the rest of your life for work, poker, etc. Make the most of your college experience, both in and out of the classroom. You have opportunities that will not come again, to expose yourself to new ideas and people (keep it clean here), take advantage of those opportunities and you will be better off later. No matter how good your game, you will find yourself in a better position in life if you take your education seriously.A few ideas for rules:Set limits for yourself, in terms of time studying, time socializing, time playing poker. If you find that you can't keep to your limits you may be playing too much. If you find you can't make it to class, you are definitely playing too much. Keep the MTTs to weekends, or at least days when you do not have class. Do not start a tournament (or even a cash game) knowing that you have to be somewhere soon as this leads to -EV play. NEVER play in class.

What Vike said. Your undergrad can be the best social and academic opportunity of your life. Unless your game is actually paying for your education, you're better off keeping it to a minimum--it's just too much of a time commitment to play seriously.