General Discussion

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could use a catch-all thread....so here it is. I'll begin.Carlos Pena's got to be the biggest what the **** of the year, right?
Josh Hamilton says hi. Rick Ankiel also. Maybe a few more Im forgetting. Pena is a good choice though.

Magglio Ordonez???? Probably not as surpising due to his great peak years, but still. Brandon Phillips is pretty surprising too, but probably not as surpising as Pena either. Cant find that many surprisingly good pitchers. Maybe the mets rotation?

Good idea MDXS, the baseball forum needs a kickstart. What am I not understanding about Carlos Pena here, other than that he's having a good season?I also have no clue what Moneyball is talking about. ^^^

Good idea MDXS, the baseball forum needs a kickstart. What am I not understanding about Carlos Pena here, other than that he's having a good season?I also have no clue what Moneyball is talking about. ^^^
Well, not just that he's having a good season, but that he's been around for years never really doing all that much and then ZANG! Monster season out of nowhere. Ankiel is of course another that springs to mind. Even though the pitcher becoming a hitter thing happens just about never we all knew that Ankiel was very talented and he's had success at the major league level before (even if it was for pitching).Ordonez is having quite the year as well. I forget where I read it, but I recently heard a story that one day he walked into the clubhouse maybe a month or so into the season...already hitting .333...and said, "Okay guys, I think I'm about to get hot." Delivering on a statement like that is pretty badass.And for NL MVP: What about Pujols...especially if the Cardinals make the playoffs?
If the Cardinals make the playoffs he has a chance, but I'm not sure the voters will see it that way.
Yeah, I definitely think the voters will eat up the Wright 30-30 thing if he gets there. And since we're talking about Carlos Pena too, Baseball Reference's stat of the day (real cool stuff...everyone should go) tells us that he just set the Devil Rays' record for RBI in a game, already had the Rays' season home run record, and has been traded or released 5 times. Good stuff.And Jesus, Ankiel just had a 2 HR, 7 RBI game...awesome.
Here's another what the f*ck from a different direction.Look at those hits. Crazy! I wish this guy came over when he was 20.
He's got a shockingly good chance of getting to 3,000 hits for a guy that didn't play his first major league game until he was 27.Hypothetical question. Say his career ended tomorrow. Do you put him in the Hall of Fame?

Granderson hit hos 20th HR tonight. that gives him 20 HR's 20+ 3B, and 30+ 2B's. 5th player to ever do it and he is one stolen base from 20/20/20/20. He his having a very good year.

Granderson hit hos 20th HR tonight. that gives him 20 HR's 20+ 3B, and 30+ 2B's. 5th player to ever do it and he is one stolen base from 20/20/20/20. He his having a very good year.
Yes he is, but he's not really a wtf player. Anybody who knows baseball knows he is capable of greatness.
He's got a shockingly good chance of getting to 3,000 hits for a guy that didn't play his first major league game until he was 27.Hypothetical question. Say his career ended tomorrow. Do you put him in the Hall of Fame?
Absolutely, his pure dominance puts him in with no question.
Absolutely, his pure dominance puts him with no question.
Pretty much my take too. I'd waive the 10 years of major league experience rule since he dominated a decent league for years before coming over.

My list of "what the fuc!?!?!?" for this season:Ned Yost.lock it up, he's got to be the biggest moron-luckbox in baseball. I was reading online today that in the Brewers loss to the Reds he was claiming he wasn't giving the go ahead for Gabe Gross to steal, he was "just scratching". P.S. White Sox Twinkies game last night was sweet.Tom.

Nope. I don't think you should put someone in based on potential.Unless, he's Japanese Stats are counted, of course.