we are playing Pot limit omaha high in a home game. Im dealt 97J8 which obviously is a pretty good starting hand. Now while I am only suited one way I do have position. Anyway, some agressive player raises it up the POT and I call, having position on him. Everyone else folds. the flop comes an innocent little 742 with two diamonds, giving me top pair with 3 overcards and a jack high flush draw. He makes a standard continuation bet. I re bet 3/4 of that pot, he thinks for less than 2 seconds and says all in. He only had a few more dollars left so I called it. Question 1) Is this a good flop for our hand in most situations?Question 2) what do you put the player on, who is going all in and raised pre flop, with that sort of a flop.Question 3) In your opinion is this generally a + EV situation to go all in with my hand on this flop, in a shorthanded (5 players) situation?

Doesn't look like a great hand for us here.Player who made it pot, con bet then comes over the top of us prob has us pretty crushed, as in aa w/ the diamond draw leaving us to a two pair draw FTW.I am in no way a plo pro, but that's how this plays out to me, top pair and overs when top pair is 7, is not as nice in plo.1) I don't think it's a great flop. Top pair is rarely good w/ that action, j high flush draw is only possibly good and no other draws = not a great board.2) As stated, AA w/ the diamond draw.3) -EV.Interested to see other views though.

Yeah definatly seems like AA to me. You've invested quite a bit of money in the pot already so I probly make the call here and hope he doesn't have the A high draw as well and if he doesn't then you have a lot of outs.

we are playing Pot limit omaha high in a home game. Im dealt 97J8 which obviously is a pretty good starting hand. Now while I am only suited one way I do have position. Anyway, some agressive player raises it up the POT and I call, having position on him. Everyone else folds. the flop comes an innocent little 742 with two diamonds, giving me top pair with 3 overcards and a jack high flush draw. He makes a standard continuation bet. I re bet 3/4 of that pot, he thinks for less than 2 seconds and says all in. He only had a few more dollars left so I called it. Question 1) Is this a good flop for our hand in most situations?Question 2) what do you put the player on, who is going all in and raised pre flop, with that sort of a flop.Question 3) In your opinion is this generally a + EV situation to go all in with my hand on this flop, in a shorthanded (5 players) situation?
You have top pair and nothing more. Not good in PLO. You either win a small pot or lose a huge one. I probably would've folded or flat called and see whether he gets squirmish.
1) It is not a very good flop for aour hand. If you really want to play this hand just call flop and look to hit two pair or trips. Don't go broke on J high flush.2)I put him on an overpair. That's a pretty harmless flop for a heads up pot. 3)Don't go all in with one pair no draws.

He actually had AAKK DS with the nut flush draw, which left me around 22% to suckout on him, obviously not good. Considering that he is agressive and it is 5 handed, I figure that I am toast if he has 77,44,22 or an overpair with a higher flush draw. Those are the only 4 hands that have me beat as I am roughly 60% versus ONLY an overpair, having two pair, trips and flush outs. Id say about 90% of the time its standard that anyone who plays in my game makes a continuation bet regardless of the flop (thanks to doyle). With this in mind, he is going to bet with virtually any hand post flop. All things considered, I thought the odds of him having one of the four hand types which I mentioned would be very unlikely, when you consider the chance that my bet will get him to fold anything other than an overpair with the higher flush draw, or a set, I feel that my play is justified. I play a lot of PLO/LO8/PLO8 so I understand the game a great deal... can you guys really just put him on a monster hand like that though? Its not like he was playing tight, or passive after the flop.

He actually had AAKK DS with the nut flush draw, which left me around 22% to suckout on him, obviously not good. Considering that he is agressive and it is 5 handed, I figure that I am toast if he has 77,44,22 or an overpair with a higher flush draw. Those are the only 4 hands that have me beat as I am roughly 60% versus ONLY an overpair, having two pair, trips and flush outs. Id say about 90% of the time its standard that anyone who plays in my game makes a continuation bet regardless of the flop (thanks to doyle). With this in mind, he is going to bet with virtually any hand post flop. All things considered, I thought the odds of him having one of the four hand types which I mentioned would be very unlikely, when you consider the chance that my bet will get him to fold anything other than an overpair with the higher flush draw, or a set, I feel that my play is justified. I play a lot of PLO/LO8/PLO8 so I understand the game a great deal... can you guys really just put him on a monster hand like that though? Its not like he was playing tight, or passive after the flop.
lol
  • 3 weeks later...
in omaha, only draw to the nuts. A pair is never good. you are looking for a str8 with this hand, if you don't make it, get out.
Ahmen!