Vancouver Canucks Fanclub

I have been kind of out of the hockey loop for awhile so bear with me. Is Atlanta really shopping Kovalchuk? Would prospects and picks get it done or are we talking Kesler, prospects and picks?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to get a discussion going on what you fellow Canucks fans and other armchair GM's think Vancouver should do in the offseason. Most the people at the Canucks board are retarded and propose trading half the roster and bringing in a completly new top 6. I'm at work so I won't go into depth right now but I think we should let Naslund go but keep Morrison. Keep the Sedins. They just need to be on the 2nd line or if they are first they need a 2nd line to take away some of the checking. Brunstrom is a good addition if he lives up to expectation. Use Naslunds money to try and get an impact scorer. Try and get another decent scorer who can play 1st or 2nd line. Maybe a veteran like Stillman or Rechi. I think we should try and trade Bieksa and try and get a more offensive defencemen who can move the puck to the forwards. I'll try and post a realistic lineup later but feel free to add yours.

I'd like to get a discussion going on what you fellow Canucks fans and other armchair GM's think Vancouver should do in the offseason. Most the people at the Canucks board are retarded and propose trading half the roster and bringing in a completly new top 6. I'm at work so I won't go into depth right now but I think we should let Naslund go but keep Morrison. Keep the Sedins. They just need to be on the 2nd line or if they are first they need a 2nd line to take away some of the checking. Brunstrom is a good addition if he lives up to expectation. Use Naslunds money to try and get an impact scorer. Try and get another decent scorer who can play 1st or 2nd line. Maybe a veteran like Stillman or Rechi. I think we should try and trade Bieksa and try and get a more offensive defencemen who can move the puck to the forwards. I'll try and post a realistic lineup later but feel free to add yours.
Perhaps I'll put more effort into an answer later but off the top of my head they need to...1) let Naslund walk (I'm fairly certain they will)2) stay healthy
I pretty much have the same thoughts as you. I think Naslund has to go if for no other reason a change in leadership is needed. The Sedins are just fine but they cant be the only scoring threats they have. I actually think if you can get Kessler and Burrows a 25 goal winger they would be there first line or a 1b kind of scenario. I think it has to come via the trade route though, I wwouldnt want to see them commit 6-7 mill a year to a guy like Ralston long term because of the bidding wars that are gonna occur due to lack of depth in UFA this year. The kind of player that comes to mind for Kes and Bur is someone like Scott Hartnell. With Carter and Umberger RFA in Philly they might need to clear some cap room. I would take Morrison back but at a reduced salary (1.5 seems about right). I heard last night that the Brunstrom deal is on hold because ownership hasnt decided if Nonis will be back, so if this doesnt happen the Sedins will need someone besides Pyatt to play with. Of cousre If guys like Kovalchuk or Martin St louis become availabe and the price isnt ridiculas they should look at a move like that. I think I would take a 2nd round pick for Bieksa just to dump that salary.My lineup would look like thisBurrows Kessler HartnellSedin Sedin BrunstromPyatt Morrison Raymondgrinder Yelle fighterOhlund SaloMitchell EdlerBourdon Veteran Phyical DKraijcekUse Bieksa, Schneider Draft picks as trade bait and Bourdon if planning to bring in a solid 2-3 million D
This is bad for our chances of getting Brunstrom though.
meh, is another Swede what this team really needs. How much is Anaheim gonna want for Burke? Personally I feel like Quinn>Burke. Especially if it costs them the #10 pick.
meh, is another Swede what this team really needs. How much is Anaheim gonna want for Burke? Personally I feel like Quinn>Burke. Especially if it costs them the #10 pick.
If we let Naslund walk he can fill his Sweedish role. Just find some good North Americans to fill the roster after that.
Who cares? He's either going to be good and stick or he'll be sent down to the minors with no cap hit, its win/win.I hate this move, the only way Im ok with it is if Nonis was unable to close the deal and that was the reason he was fired. I dont want Burke back, will be interesting to see who we get..
Who cares? He's either going to be good and stick or he'll be sent down to the minors with no cap hit, its win/win.I hate this move, the only way Im ok with it is if Nonis was unable to close the deal and that was the reason he was fired. I dont want Burke back, will be interesting to see who we get..
I think Aqualini wanted to put his stamp on the team sooner than later and missing the playoffs was his chance to pounce. I too arent sold on Burke as the nucks gm. Actually I would like to see someone tottally new to the organization ratgher than the Quinn/Burke empire that has ran the team for 20 years. It has top be a very attractive job considering the players they have and the close to 16 million in cap to work with.

My first thought was how does the Nonnis firing effect the Brunstrum negotiations. My second thought is what does this mean for Vigneault?You have to give Nonnis credit. He had a chance to save his job at the deadline, at the expense of the long term future of the team, and he didn't do it. Some of the deals out there would have made the Canucks marginally better this season, and much worse going forward. It is hard to blame all of the struggles on Nonnis. The Naslund signing was universally praised when he made it. His signings this off season were a joke, but at the same time, he didn't have a lot to work with.I think we will see Mayson Raymond have an increased role next year. Maybe Grabner will be ready to play.The biggest problem I saw is the forwards did not match the style of play Vigneault wanted to play. He wanted to have a grinding, in your face style of team that fought a lot. The Canucks fought as much as anyone in the league, but I would bet they lost about 70% of those fights. The entire team looked worn out by the end of the season. After seeing Vigneault for two years, I don't think it is a coincidence that his teams (in MTL and VAN) always are among the league leaders in injuries.As far as what to do this offseason, I think we will have to wait and see what happens to Vigneault. It would be tempting to bring Naslund back if he wanted 2-3 million, but at the same time, this team needs a leadership change. The first priority should be to get another solid center, someone like Brian Rolston. I would also love to see someone like Ryder come here to play with the Sedins. His price could be low, considering the season he has had. I like Morrison, but either as a result of injuries or whatever, he has not been effective offensively (on a consistent basis) for a long time.They need a lot of help at forward, from the top to the bottom. I think you will probably see one of our D traded for a forward, on top of two semi-big name signings. On top of this, I would like to see someone signed to play with Burrows and Kesler. A Mike Grier type of player.It sounds like a lot of changes, but this team has needed an enema among the forwards for a long time.I would not deal the Sedins. I think they need to be given a chance on a team where they actually have some offensive support.

Haha, asked and answered. I started my post before you posted this. Yes, it took over 10 minutes.
very good analysis...are they in the Brian Burke running ?and are the Sedin's a package or can you trade one?

I think Ryder could be Anson Carter-ish with the Sedins (that's a good thing BTW).I also think that Vancouver should look at making a play for one of the quality RFAs if they are still available (assuming they have the necessary picks). They need a scoring forward. If they can add an RFA from the following list...Corey PerryBrett SterlingSteve BernierMarek Svatos Wojtek WolskiLouie ErikssonValtteri FilppulaJarrett StollRostislav OleszPatrick O'SullivanP.M. BouchardNigel DawesAntoine VermetteJeff Carter - PAYBACK...they will look a lot better offensively. Throw an unrestricted free agent signing like Michael Ryder on top of that and all that they'd need is a healthy defense.

My first thought was how does the Nonnis firing effect the Brunstrum negotiations. My second thought is what does this mean for Vigneault?You have to give Nonnis credit. He had a chance to save his job at the deadline, at the expense of the long term future of the team, and he didn't do it. Some of the deals out there would have made the Canucks marginally better this season, and much worse going forward. It is hard to blame all of the struggles on Nonnis. The Naslund signing was universally praised when he made it. His signings this off season were a joke, but at the same time, he didn't have a lot to work with.I think we will see Mayson Raymond have an increased role next year. Maybe Grabner will be ready to play.The biggest problem I saw is the forwards did not match the style of play Vigneault wanted to play. He wanted to have a grinding, in your face style of team that fought a lot. The Canucks fought as much as anyone in the league, but I would bet they lost about 70% of those fights. The entire team looked worn out by the end of the season. After seeing Vigneault for two years, I don't think it is a coincidence that his teams (in MTL and VAN) always are among the league leaders in injuries.As far as what to do this offseason, I think we will have to wait and see what happens to Vigneault. It would be tempting to bring Naslund back if he wanted 2-3 million, but at the same time, this team needs a leadership change. The first priority should be to get another solid center, someone like Brian Rolston. I would also love to see someone like Ryder come here to play with the Sedins. His price could be low, considering the season he has had. I like Morrison, but either as a result of injuries or whatever, he has not been effective offensively (on a consistent basis) for a long time.They need a lot of help at forward, from the top to the bottom. I think you will probably see one of our D traded for a forward, on top of two semi-big name signings. On top of this, I would like to see someone signed to play with Burrows and Kesler. A Mike Grier type of player.It sounds like a lot of changes, but this team has needed an enema among the forwards for a long time.I would not deal the Sedins. I think they need to be given a chance on a team where they actually have some offensive support.
Good analysis. I still want to post a better one but probably won't till tomorrow. As for Brunstrom i'm not sure if you are asking what the effect will be in the sense that you don't think it will have one or if you are actually wondering if it will. From what i heard, Nonis had being doing a lot to lure him to Vancouver and apparently the deal was done except for the approval from ownership which obviously stalled because they wanted to fire him. I think the deal falls through now.
I think Ryder could be Anson Carter-ish with the Sedins (that's a good thing BTW).I also think that Vancouver should look at making a play for one of the quality RFAs if they are still available (assuming they have the necessary picks). They need a scoring forward. If they can add an RFA from the following list...Corey PerryBrett SterlingSteve BernierMarek Svatos Wojtek WolskiLouie ErikssonValtteri FilppulaJarrett StollRostislav OleszPatrick O'SullivanP.M. BouchardNigel DawesAntoine VermetteJeff Carter - PAYBACK...they will look a lot better offensively. Throw an unrestricted free agent signing like Michael Ryder on top of that and all that they'd need is a healthy defense.
If we can get rid of Bieksa's contract and maybe an older player like Mitchell or Salo I'd love to see us Get Campbell and give Bourdon a spot on defense. That would give a boost to offence from the back end.
If we can get rid of Bieksa's contract and maybe an older player like Mitchell or Salo I'd love to see us Get Campbell and give Bourdon a spot on defense. That would give a boost to offence from the back end.
I think Campbell will be staying with Thornton in San Jose.
San Jose has to nuke there team if they lose to Calgary.Sportsnet says Yzerman is a candidate for gm??? If there gonna let a newb take the reign I say give Linden the job.
Yzerman has 2 years of experience, Linden has none. Otherwise I would agree. I think Tambellini will get it, but I could see wanting to go for an entirely new approach.I'm not up for "dumping" Bieksa. I think he is a great player who had a bad year. His contract is big, but not crippling. The only reason I would move him is ot get a much needed forward. A hockey trade, not a dump.

F.O. with the Luongo for Spezza rumour. That wouldd a Senators fans wet dream.I cant believe all the Brian Lawton and Mike Gillis are serious candidates for GM. A former agent just getting into management would be way more suited for assistant gm imo.

F.O. with the Luongo for Spezza rumour. That wouldd a Senators fans wet dream.I cant believe all the Brian Lawton and Mike Gillis are serious candidates for GM. A former agent just getting into management would be way more suited for assistant gm imo.
I'd be happy if the kid in the AHL (don't know his name) was solid and Ottawa would certainly have to pick up another centre. I think Fisher and Vermette are both 2nd line guys. So it could work out well for my favourite 2 teams or badly.