Creating A Website

I want to create a free website that will be viewed frequently. I plan on doing little work to promote this site. Is this possible, considering I plan on it being cost-free? I don't care if these sites want to put their own advertisements on it as long as I don't get a bill for the site. Any suggestions on where to start? My guess is I'm asking for something that's impossible, but I figured I'd just ask anyway.

Unfortunately, websites are not like Field of Dreams. If you just build it, they will not just come... You need to advertise. And that takes at least some money. And the less money you want to spend, the more work you will have to do...

Unfortunately, websites are not like Field of Dreams. If you just build it, they will not just come... You need to advertise. And that takes at least some money. And the less money you want to spend, the more work you will have to do...
effin schillwhen does the sales pitch come in? Third or fourth post?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeli...ub0050005172mrtClick on Office Live Basic. You'll need a credit card number.
Thanks. This looks really good. I have another question though: What makes sites move up in the rankings on search engines? Is it by related words, popularity of the site, or are there other factors? My guess is that it's all about popularity.
Thanks. This looks really good. I have another question though: What makes sites move up in the rankings on search engines? Is it by related words, popularity of the site, or are there other factors? My guess is that it's all about popularity.
It's a combination of things. I'm not really the right person to ask, because I don't even know.It's a pretty sweet setup, even once beta is over, they'll still host you for free.
search engine optimization google it there is tons of useful info out there. I would tell you but I don't really understand it myself.
  • 2 years later...
SEO is hugely important. Rank on google and engines are judged by: How many sites link to your site. You can do link exchange for this.Every page should be in a different format. Never have a page with the same amount of paragraphs and other stuff like that. NEVER have unoriginal content. Always should be original. This is important, you will lose ranking for this.The more content and pages the better.You find keywords and phrases and put them into your content. You can put them on your page even though it wont show up when reading.Thats a bare tip of the iceberg. Quite interesting actually once you get into it. SEO experts make a lot of money.SEO= Search engine optimal.
SEO is hugely important. Rank on google and engines are judged by: How many sites link to your site. You can do link exchange for this.Every page should be in a different format. Never have a page with the same amount of paragraphs and other stuff like that. NEVER have unoriginal content. Always should be original. This is important, you will lose ranking for this.The more content and pages the better.You find keywords and phrases and put them into your content. You can put them on your page even though it wont show up when reading.Thats a bare tip of the iceberg. Quite interesting actually once you get into it. SEO experts make a lot of money.SEO= Search engine optimal.
Or, you could have valuable content. That is also a surefire way to have excellent search engine ranking without paying a dime to SEO "gurus".
Thats some timely advice...