Take A Leap

The philosophy of personal freedom and choice is what's important.Your exact position was tried during prohibition when we outlawed alcohol to save the daughters/nuns/children/baby Jesus."WHY IS ALCOHOL SO IMPORTANT! TELL ME THAT? WE SHOULD BAN IT!"We as a society woke up and came to realize that personal choice is what's important. If you want to use drugs, OK. That's a personal choice. No, you can't get hopped up on PCP and shoot up a police station, but our society believes that people should be allowed to make decisions for their own lives without pandering to the statistical anomaly that might abuse their freedom for the wrong reasons.Yes, you can make the choice to own a firearm.No, this does not mean that you can walk into a school and start shooting kids; in spite of the fact that such lunatics pop up from time to time, the right for people to make that decision for themselves is what our society deems most important.Yes, you can purchase alcohol.No, you cannot get drunk and drive around. In spite of the fact that too many people do just that and it can result in innocent deaths, we as a society have concluded that the freedom to make the personal choice to drink is more important than anything else that might dictate the issue.In short, we don't live in a society where we're only permitted to own what's "needed" while everything else can be banned at the whim of whoever "feels" as much. We live in a society where we are supposed to be able to make these choices for ourselves. If someone wants to relax with a beer, we as a society should say that's OK.The only reason we as a society say relaxing with a spliff is "bad" is because when the repeals on the prohibition of recreational inebriants were lifted in the 30's, the only people who smoked pot were 'dirty Negroes and Mexicans' while alcohol was enjoyed by everyone- namely, the people making the laws. There is absolutely no moral imperative that says pot is somehow "worse" than gin. There is no scientific reasoning that suggests that one is "worse" than the other. What there is is troupes of associative-thinking, mindless retards who think drugs are bad because they're illegal and they're illegal because they're bad. Since our society doesn't require IQ tests in order to vote, these people actually wield power. (sad)
No, I think that they are bad because they are addictive, and to most people very addictive- to the point to where they will set up elaborate networks just to get to the high. Because we want to is not a good enough argument.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no moral imperative that says pot is somehow "worse" than gin.
Drugs are overrated (or at least pot is. I've never done any other drug). Gin is a gift from God.
No. My daughter will not do drugs. That is my goal, or one of them. To not have that goal would be stupid. What else should I do, take the opposite attitude?"Oh, well, she is going to do drugs. Nothing I can do about it."
Do you only think in polar extremes? Accept it and give up, or pretend you can control it, right? Only two choices? How about some honest education? And I don't mean the Reefer Madness type education that comes out of DARE. I mean the real facts -- "Here's what drugs do to you physically and mentally. I can't control it, but here's the wisdom of my years."Or is reality too scary for you?
This part of your response is an excellent demonstration of the openess of your mind. No part of LEAP's agenda involves "I want to do drugs". They very explicitly state that they think taking drugs is a terrible idea, and nobody should do it. But saying "drugs are a bad idea, so let's add a terrible idea on top of it" is a ridiculous solution.I don't take drugs. If drugs become legal, I still will not take drugs. I will discourage my family from relying on drugs. I tried pot in college, thought it was fun, never did it again. Notice though, I didn't turn into a deadbeat. I didn't kill or rape anyone. I am a responsible, successful adult. The Insane War on Drugs, if it were effective, would have my life ruined over a college experiment. How does that make sense? What business is it of ANYONE if I chemically altered the way I felt for one night?
I didn't even watch the link. Don't need to. The answer is never stop trying when you are dealing with an issue such as this. Ther is no option but to keep trying, and the attitudes of the people in this forum that oppose my view show through so clearly with the comments like,"Oh, your daughter won't do drugs, good luck with that." It's a defeatist mentality. It's also eating away at our society. Let's not discuss that, though. Let's not discuss the reason s why people do drugs in the first place.
No, I think that they are bad because they are addictive, and to most people very addictive- to the point to where they will set up elaborate networks just to get to the high.
So is poker.The nucleus accumbens portion of the brain is the primary reward circut, and it is activated by gambling no different than drugs.Do you believe we should ban poker because it's "addictive"?How about alcohol? A seriously habit forming substance. Ban it?Cigarettes?Actually, "because we want to" is the predicate for most all personal freedoms we enjoy. You happen to have some irrational aversion to recreational drug use, so to you, that just "isn't a good enough reason", but if you extend your logic to anything else, it fails miserably. (it actually fails miserably when applied to drug use too, but I'm sure you will have an easier time seeing it when said logic is applied to something you understand a bit better)
Not one person has put forth an argumnet for why drug use is so important. Just the usual negative liberal thing that says nothing about the issue but everything about the attitude of the people that care about the issue.
I've seen your arguments in the religion forum, so answer this:No person has put forth an argument for why religion is so important. More people have died in the name of religious intolerance than all drugs and liquor put together. Why should society tolerate such a great harm?
Do you only think in polar extremes? Accept it and give up, or pretend you can control it, right? Only two choices? How about some honest education? And I don't mean the Reefer Madness type education that comes out of DARE. I mean the real facts -- "Here's what drugs do to you physically and mentally. I can't control it, but here's the wisdom of my years."Or is reality too scary for you?
I am well aware of the reality, and the only way to combat that reality is to keep trying. Like my mom did. I am the only one in my family that never did drugs. That is out of 6 kids. The odds are against her, but that doess not stop her from trying. Is that how you approach a kid?"I can't control it, but..." Hell, no. You let them know exactly what is up, that you know it all and if they decide to cross you thus and thus is the consequence. Period. Be a man.
I've seen your arguments in the religion forum, so answer this:No person has put forth an argument for why religion is so important. More people have died in the name of religious intolerance than all drugs and liquor put together. Why should society tolerate such a great harm?
Couldn't keep it in the religous forum, could you? Scram, dickweed. Sorry, I just love calling people dickweed.
Do you really think making it legal would stop them form selling to young people? No. It would actually make it that much more critical to there buisness model. Think, man. Yeah, good job making a case for why drug use is important and neccesary. Bravo.
Have you ever seen the owner of the liquor store down at the playground trying to push Jack Daniels on 12-year-olds? Of course not, it's a ridiculous statement. A regulated legal product will lead to ethical and moral sellers.Since I don't use drugs, I don't think they are important and necessary. But they are reality. Yes, reality, scary thing, isn't it? So now, do you want innocent people killed in drive-by shootings and drugs sold to kids, or do you want a safe, regulated marketplace like we have with liquor?
I am well aware of the reality, and the only way to combat that reality is to keep trying. Like my mom did. I am the only one in my family that never did drugs. That is out of 6 kids. The odds are against her, but that doess not stop her from trying. Is that how you approach a kid?"I can't control it, but..." Hell, no. You let them know exactly what is up, that you know it all and if they decide to cross you thus and thus is the consequence. Period. Be a man.
What do you do when your daughter misbehaves?

My son is very anti-drugs. Was it my goal to make him drug free? No, not at all. My goal was to teach him to be independent and to make sound decisions. We always talked about the consequences. It was his decision to be drug free, not mine. Just saying this because if you really want your kids to be something or do something, it has to be their choice, not yours. Anyway, I read this great article in the doctors office last month about things that are done better in other countries. Here is the article that I read in regards to drugs.

I didn't even watch the link. Don't need to. The answer is never stop trying when you are dealing with an issue such as this. Ther is no option but to keep trying, and the attitudes of the people in this forum that oppose my view show through so clearly with the comments like,"Oh, your daughter won't do drugs, good luck with that." It's a defeatist mentality. It's also eating away at our society. Let's not discuss that, though. Let's not discuss the reason s why people do drugs in the first place.
The reason people do drugs is a genetic imperative to experiment and explore the world and conciousness. Got a way to change our genetic makeup, do you?
Have you ever seen the owner of the liquor store down at the playground trying to push Jack Daniels on 12-year-olds? Of course not, it's a ridiculous statement. A regulated legal product will lead to ethical and moral sellers.Since I don't use drugs, I don't think they are important and necessary. But they are reality. Yes, reality, scary thing, isn't it? So now, do you want innocent people killed in drive-by shootings and drugs sold to kids, or do you want a safe, regulated marketplace like we have with liquor?
Drug dealers wouldn't be able to get the neccesary things it would take- they live outside the law, by neccesity because they are who they are- criminals. Drug dealers will still need to make a living, and they will do what they do.

The drug war is a waste of time and money. There's always going to be a minority of society that makes bad decisions. If I buy a sports car and wrap it around a tree, should all sports cars be banned because they're dangerous and I was irresponsible ? Absolutely not, allow people to make their own decisions and chances are they'll make the right one.

Couldn't keep it in the religous forum, could you? Scram, dickweed. Sorry, I just love calling people dickweed.
This is a discussion on drugs, with an important comparison. What's the matter, don't you want to admit that more people die from religious intolerance than drugs? Should we have an Insane War on Religion? After all, many people have successful happy lives without religion. People don't need to make that choice.
I enjoy a glass or 3 of red wine now and then.
Then quit being a hypocrite and put yourself in jail for using a chemical to alter your physical state.
What do you do when your daughter misbehaves?
Usually a good talking to. Occasionally- and it's been about a year- a spanking. 5-6 good swats on the butt. For now. When she gets older, it will be controlling her time, taking away freedoms, whatever it takes. I catch a guy in her room late at night, the door comes off. Real simple, effective control. She will be angry with me at times, but that is fine.
This is a discussion on drugs, with an important comparison. What's the matter, don't you want to admit that more people die from religious intolerance than drugs? Should we have an Insane War on Religion? After all, many people have successful happy lives without religion. People don't need to make that choice.
Religous forum.
Drug dealers wouldn't be able to get the neccesary things it would take- they live outside the law, by neccesity because they are who they are- criminals. Drug dealers will still need to make a living, and they will do what they do.
This makes so little sense, I don't know where to start. Who is going to buy expensive and dangerous products from untrustworthy people when a legal alternative is available? The lowlife drug dealers will not be able to price themselves into the market, because no adult will buy their product, and the cost of dealing to minors will be too high.Again, look at alcohol. Do you see people with stills in their backyard hanging out selling to kids? Of course not. You are just being silly.
Religous forum.
You want a discussion on drug legalization in the religion forum? No, you don't. You are just avoiding the question.
This makes so little sense, I don't know where to start. Who is going to buy expensive and dangerous products from untrustworthy people when a legal alternative is available? The lowlife drug dealers will not be able to price themselves into the market, because no adult will buy their product, and the cost of dealing to minors will be too high.Again, look at alcohol. Do you see people with stills in their backyard hanging out selling to kids? Of course not. You are just being silly.
Yet, meanwhile,almost any kid you talk to has tried drugs, from 6th grade on up. How do they get them? The market will still be there.
You want a discussion on drug legalization in the religion forum? No, you don't. You are just avoiding the question.
No, tardbucket, I don't want to discuss anything religion. If I did, I would be in there. It's a good thing you guys got me,otherwise this thread wouldn't have been ****.
Yet, meanwhile,almost any kid you talk to has tried drugs, from 6th grade on up. How do they get them? The market will still be there.
Again, look at alcohol. Do you see people with stills in their backyard hanging out selling to kids? Of course not. You are just being silly.