• 1 month later...

It was a decent enough production but to get the players you want and the sponsors to pony up the cash to pay for this freeroll was most likely a hard sell

It was a decent enough production but to get the players you want and the sponsors to pony up the cash to pay for this freeroll was most likely a hard sell
...And the fact that the top prize was $225k and that is what the players could make from just final tabling at other events that could have been playing in.
It was probably cancelled because not too fans liked to watch the show and it is probably hard getting all of those pros together just for the top 6 to get paid.
1. i loved the show.2. it wasn't hard getting the pros together, they were already in the area for a wpt event, so they could easily hang around for a ppt event.3. it wasn't the money but the prestige of beating the best, and only the best.Yes, the freeroll money was tougher to get than a wpt pool, but with more sponsorships, that shouldn't be hard.i think if they were able to get sponsors to put up the pool, gsn would jump at getting this one as well, especially since wpte already has a contract with gsn.
3. it wasn't the money but the prestige of beating the best, and only the best.
True, but if there was another event at the same time (with a bigger prize pool and more payouts), I bet a lot would play in those events. Also, aren't you allowed to play on the PPT if you win a WSOP bracelet or a WPT tilte? The first PPT was filmed in 2004, but nowadays, there are a lot more random people who have won WSOP and WPT events so the fields would be bigger and there would be less pros making the top 6 prize pool-as well as it taking a lot more luck to make it to the top 6 with all of the extra players.
i was also wondering is there a site that lists all the poker shows on tv?
There are many. Try these: http://www.pokertvguide.com/us/ (For USA, UK, Sweden-just select country flag on website) http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_on_tvhttp://www.pokertv.com/ http://www.homepokergames.com/tv.php http://poker.oddschecker.com/poker-on-tv (this is for the United Kingdom)
True, but if there was another event at the same time (with a bigger prize pool and more payouts), I bet a lot would play in those events. Also, aren't you allowed to play on the PPT if you win a WSOP bracelet or a WPT tilte? The first PPT was filmed in 2004, but nowadays, there are a lot more random people who have won WSOP and WPT events so the fields would be bigger and there would be less pros making the top 6 prize pool-as well as it taking a lot more luck to make it to the top 6 with all of the extra players.
i heard they were having trouble getting the truely big names to commit to playing. This in turn made getting the sponsorship tougher because we were left with lots of players most casual observers have never heard of (can anyone really say they are a big fan of Chris Biggler, Marsha Waggoner et al). If they could have gotten the top 150 players every event this would have flown easily, but like someone said Ivey and others can potentially make way more cash in a side game than the top prize or play for days and finish 7th probably doesn't appeal to them either.
True, but if there was another event at the same time (with a bigger prize pool and more payouts), I bet a lot would play in those events. Also, aren't you allowed to play on the PPT if you win a WSOP bracelet or a WPT tilte?
To play, if I remember correctly, players must have been a WPT champion, a World Champion, a Hall of Fame Inductee, in the European Top 10, on the WSOP Walk of Fame, must have been voted in by their peers, or be one of the few sponsor's exemptions (aka, an amateur) to be included.

what they should do to make this idea fly & wouldn't cost anything isA: keep it an invitational the way they have itB:Have a 10K entry fee with all going to the prize pool (this would eliminate some of these exempt players who know they have no chance & were only invited because of results from the 1940's)C:Make the prize pool 500K money added like some internet tournies and make the payout like a regular 10K buy-in(top 10-12%of the field)I think the pros would show up for this since winning this would be prestigious since it's the best of the best, you have a chance to win some serious money(for them anyway), 500K added money and no fee taken from entry to run the tourny.What do others think?

what they should do to make this idea fly & wouldn't cost anything isA: keep it an invitational the way they have itB:Have a 10K entry fee with all going to the prize pool (this would eliminate some of these exempt players who know they have no chance & were only invited because of results from the 1940's)C:Make the prize pool 500K money added like some internet tournies and make the payout like a regular 10K buy-in(top 10-12%of the field)I think the pros would show up for this since winning this would be prestigious since it's the best of the best, you have a chance to win some serious money(for them anyway), 500K added money and no fee taken from entry to run the tourny.What do others think?
I think many of the pros would like this, but others wouldn't bother. It would be interesting to see it though. I remember one moment when Josh Arieh said, "come on, it's a freeroll" so obiously the play would be different if they had to pay and more then 6 got paid.
i was also wondering is there a site that lists all the poker shows on tv?
Poker on TV is the only site that tells you what's new. The others are just a long lists of all the poker shows on TV, mostly reruns.WPT Enterprises couldn't find anyone to pay for another season of the PPT. Many poker shows these days are time buys, though some, like the WPT, still sell their content. The PPL was canceled because of UIGEA fallout: their sponsors evaporated.
  • 3 weeks later...

The PPT is also facing the fact that as poker gains momentum and scope internationally, the top players will be asking for - and getting - appearance fees just to show up. Appearance fees are standard in chess and many other sports, where the pro's participation actually draws players to the tournament. The PPT would face a huge expense shortly, as the top half of the field impliments standard appearance fees, depending of course with their results and standing.I will make a shrewd guess here and say that it is likely that the European events that Daniel is planning to attend are offering incentives, which is the first intermediate step on the road to appearance fees plus pro-rated travelling expenses.As for the PPT: unless a sponsor or sponsors kick up the money in a serious way, it is a dead duck.

The PPT is also facing the fact that as poker gains momentum and scope internationally, the top players will be asking for - and getting - appearance fees just to show up. Appearance fees are standard in chess and many other sports, where the pro's participation actually draws players to the tournament. The PPT would face a huge expense shortly, as the top half of the field impliments standard appearance fees, depending of course with their results and standing.I will make a shrewd guess here and say that it is likely that the European events that Daniel is planning to attend are offering incentives, which is the first intermediate step on the road to appearance fees plus pro-rated travelling expenses.As for the PPT: unless a sponsor or sponsors kick up the money in a serious way, it is a dead duck.
The EPT is basically sponsored by Pokerstars. Daniel is a paid spokesperson for Pokerstars. They are most likely paying his entry fees into Pokerstars sponsored tournies therefore he will play on the EPT. He will most likely also do FT commentary a la Greg Raymer if he gets eliminated from the tournament. I can't see him also getting an appearance fee since he is basically an employee.
The EPT is basically sponsored by Pokerstars. Daniel is a paid spokesperson for Pokerstars. They are most likely paying his entry fees into Pokerstars sponsored tournies therefore he will play on the EPT. He will most likely also do FT commentary a la Greg Raymer if he gets eliminated from the tournament. I can't see him also getting an appearance fee since he is basically an employee.
You might be right but I think that a *good* deal with Pokerstars would have some sort of appearance fee per tournament as well a pro-level expenses which includes travel. This format is pretty standard for the top people in cuisine (Paul Bocuse), chess (any top grandmaster), and any number of sport personalities. I would be surprised if Daniel Negreanu's business manager did not negotiate something similar or certainly it is in the works.Another observation I would make is that it is exceedingly unlikely that Daniel Negreanu's deal with Pokerstars makes him an "employee" in any legal sense of the word, considering the tax laws that would have to be juggled. It is probably on a fee basis with a formal contract between companies. Now, I could be wrong, but I am on firm ground, I think.Lastly, I SINCERELY HOPE that Daniel Negreanu does *not* do FT commentary "a la Greg Raymer" in the (hopefully unlikely) event he gets eliminated from a tournament. I am on very safe ground saying that anything would be an improvement on Greg Raymer "I am lecturing to the Servants" style and I welcome the animation Daniel will bring to commentary. I do, however, take your point Hockey Guy, that Daniel will have some promotional duties. Good thing too!Thanks for replying and please take my reply as a constructive comment. Good luck in your games!
You might be right but I think that a *good* deal with Pokerstars would have some sort of appearance fee per tournament as well a pro-level expenses which includes travel. This format is pretty standard for the top people in cuisine (Paul Bocuse), chess (any top grandmaster), and any number of sport personalities. I would be surprised if Daniel Negreanu's business manager did not negotiate something similar or certainly it is in the works.Another observation I would make is that it is exceedingly unlikely that Daniel Negreanu's deal with Pokerstars makes him an "employee" in any legal sense of the word, considering the tax laws that would have to be juggled. It is probably on a fee basis with a formal contract between companies. Now, I could be wrong, but I am on firm ground, I think.Lastly, I SINCERELY HOPE that Daniel Negreanu does *not* do FT commentary "a la Greg Raymer" in the (hopefully unlikely) event he gets eliminated from a tournament. I am on very safe ground saying that anything would be an improvement on Greg Raymer "I am lecturing to the Servants" style and I welcome the animation Daniel will bring to commentary. I do, however, take your point Hockey Guy, that Daniel will have some promotional duties. Good thing too!Thanks for replying and please take my reply as a constructive comment. Good luck in your games!
absolutely constructive. what i should have said instead of employee would be contractually obligated. as for appearance fees you are most likely correct that it is in his contract. i'm pretty sure any extra appearance fees would be minimal(for a high stakes gambler anyway :club: ) since he is well compensated already.
I read an article in Bluff or Cardplayer that Lyle Berman expects to do the PPT again in a few years. He said the timing just isn't right for it now.
Instead of a season they should do one big event a year.
Instead of a season they should do one big event a year.
With the lack of a Tournament of Champions anymore, a PPT Championship would be a great idea.