How Do You Move Up In Limits?

I know that title makes me sound like an idiot, but honestly how do you folks out there who making a living play cards move up in limits? Don't you have to make car payments, cell phone bills, clothes, food, other bills?I want to move up in hold em' limits, but I keep having to withdraw money to pay for things.. How do you do it?

I know that title makes me sound like an idiot, but honestly how do you folks out there who making a living play cards move up in limits? Don't you have to make car payments, cell phone bills, clothes, food, other bills?I want to move up in hold em' limits, but I keep having to withdraw money to pay for things.. How do you do it?
I pay my bills with my job, and poker is extra money....

I dont know how much you make playing cards, but if it's only barely enough to keep up with your bills, you really should find something else or play a lot more.The amount you need to play at most levels is completely trivial compared to what you should be making if you're good at what you do.

I personally play for the fun and money, but I plan to slowly move myself up. I started with a small deposit of $25 and started playing $10 NL. From there I'm just grinding away and building my bankroll without withdrawaling any money. When I have enough buy-ins to take a shot at the next limit, I do. Right now I'm playing $25 NL and nearly have enough in the roll to take my first shot at $50 NL. I plan to keep on doing this until I work may way to a high enough limit to where I can play for profit and take money out each month while still building my roll. That seems to be the best formula to work your way out without depositing money that you can't afford to lose. It's long and tedious, but I'm having fun and steadily building my roll.

Chris Ferguson turned $1 into $20k in about six months. He did this by only buying in for 10% of his bankroll in any one session. Remember, that meant that he started with penny tables. He grinded it out as an experiment to see if he could do it. When his roll grew big enough, 10% of his bankroll would be enough to buy into the next level. His goal in any one session was to double his buy in. You have the added pressure of making a living. Well, just think about that for a minute. What's your bankroll? What's your living expense each month? Now, if you have to retain ten times a single buy in based on this equation, how much do you have to earn for living expense AND building your roll to the next level overall?One more thing. If you suck, you're screwed anyway. So put it all on a high limit table and hope to catch the cards.

Chris Ferguson turned $1 into $20k in about six months. He did this by only buying in for 10% of his bankroll in any one session. Remember, that meant that he started with penny tables. He grinded it out as an experiment to see if he could do it. When his roll grew big enough, 10% of his bankroll would be enough to buy into the next level. His goal in any one session was to double his buy in. You have the added pressure of making a living. Well, just think about that for a minute. What's your bankroll? What's your living expense each month? Now, if you have to retain ten times a single buy in based on this equation, how much do you have to earn for living expense AND building your roll to the next level overall?One more thing. If you suck, you're screwed anyway. So put it all on a high limit table and hope to catch the cards.
:club::D:D
It also helps if you're Jesus.
what good bankroll management (sw)
I think it was 5% which is 20 buyins.
I'm assuming cash games. But still...20 isn't enough if that's your only source of income. I use such careful bankroll management compared to most ppl it's not funny. Ppl in my shoes would be playing 2k and 1k dollar sit and go's while I'm still at 100 and 200 and 1/2 cassh games and 2/4 (the reason cash games are so low is bcuz i just made a move into them from sit and go's) but 5% is a lot. My biggest downstreak, using my strict BR management, is approximately 10% of my bankroll...happened twice...if i used the 5% rule I woulda gone broke.
I'm assuming cash games. But still...20 isn't enough if that's your only source of income. I use such careful bankroll management compared to most ppl it's not funny. Ppl in my shoes would be playing 2k and 1k dollar sit and go's while I'm still at 100 and 200 and 1/2 cassh games and 2/4 (the reason cash games are so low is bcuz i just made a move into them from sit and go's) but 5% is a lot. My biggest downstreak, using my strict BR management, is approximately 10% of my bankroll...happened twice...if i used the 5% rule I woulda gone broke.
um... he moved down. if you only ever have five percent of you br on the table at a time there is a ZERO percent chance of going broke. DUCY?
um... he moved down. if you only ever have five percent of you br on the table at a time there is a ZERO percent chance of going broke. DUCY?
That's not smart BR management. You're switching stakes all the time. You should get yourself in a zone for the next level and then start playing that level and give yourself some room to manouveur by allowing yourself to lose 5 buy ins or watever b4 moving down stakes. Seems more logical

Hey, I play for a living and had to buy a car and some other big stuff lately so I've dropped down. For rebuilding what I'm doing:I made a budget.- I gave myself a max withdrawal per week limit while I'm rebuilding. Nothing to where I'm suffering, but it means I have to plan better and I know how much I'm going to be pulling and on what days so I have a true indication of my playing and living roll at all times.As far as taking shots to speed up the rebuild I haven't really done much of that. I keep a 20 buy in limit for my main game. Then if I build up a good amount over that AND what I'm going to withdraw for the week, I'll take a shot w/ the excess if I'm really feeling it, otherwise that's the seeds toward hitting the next level legit.So:2k bankroll, Sunday, I'm playing and going grind out enough to withdraw 1k by the next Sunday. If during the week I make 1600, I know my roll is growing and if I really absolutely want to I have 3 buy ins to screw around w/ at 1-2.This help?

I think I read a post the other day about Antonio Esfandiari. He took out 1/3 of a winning session for bills, 1/3 went to his bankroll, the final 1/3 went for partying and hanging out with friends. This way you continue to build your roll while taking out money for living expenses.