this is why they call him crazy mike caro.

I read this article in cardplayer.http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archi...a_id=158&m_id=6the thing that jumped out was"What separates Mike Sexton’s recent results from Phil Hellmuth’s is mostly luck."I just dont believe that. Maybe he is trying to be tricky by saying recent results, because Mike Sexton is just doesn't have the same track record as Phil Hellmuth.And if you look at the top tournament players Danial, Juanda, Gus, etc there is that handfull that consitantly is making more final tables then the other world class players.That quote to me would be just like saying that what seperates Scotty Nguyen's recent results from Daniels or Johnny J's is mostly luck.Mike Sexton and Scotty are both Highly regarded proffesionals but I really dont think the difference between the consistantly higher finishes of one tournament pro to another is luck.opinions please.

I read this article in cardplayer.And if you look at the top tournament players Danial, Juanda, Gus, etc there is that handfull that consitantly is making more final tables then the other world class players.opinions please.
This is precisely what would be expected to happen if Mike Caro is right (which I believe he is). Looking back after the fact, there will be *some* players who appear at the final tables more often. The names you mention are the "names" precisely because of the fact that they've been successful. Run all the tourneys of the last couple of years again in an alternate reality, and you'd likely have written a different list of names above.The players you mentioned are very, very good players, but Daniel and Gus have to be two of the luckiest guys in the world. I'm sure someone will respond, putting "lucky" in quotes, like that's clever or something. :-)
So are you saying the top tournament players just get luckier than everyone else?
No.
Quite obviously. They and a select few get very lucky on more than one occasion during a successful tournament. Then that luck, coupled with thier skills as professionals, makes them top tournament players. They get lucky just as much as anyone else, because luck is not discriminative. It's just that when they get lucky, they're able to use it to win. Whereas no amount of luck can get some idiots to win.

Don't forget that he's discussing odds on winning, not on even high cashes or TV tables and other things that have become very important with the poker boom.The explosion of dead money and proliferation of tournament poker have made it easier for the "Names" to go deep, and that fortune brings us the winners, but the top 20 and leaderboard averages out to more of a longrun. What we're basing our opinions of "name players" off of is longer than just one tournament, which is what Caro was talking about. As the # of tournaments increases, the cream can rise to the top, but even over 3,4,5 tourneys LUCK will be FAR more critical to high-cashing results than skill when differentiating between relatively small skill gaps. This was also written before the WPT got so major and before there were enough closely followed MAJOR events for us to make the determinations we do now.I believe Caro is correct within the time he wrote and context in which he's speaking, and that the breakdown is us viewing it after 2 years of massive changes in where, by whom, and how often major tournament poker is played.

I think guys like Gus and Daniel happen to make big moves when they have a number of outs to draw to or hit at a crucial moment. They might hit one of those outs and be called "lucky" for that call. I just think the truly great players have the inate ability to make these calls in better spots than the good to decent players might, thus the luck factor when they hit.

When, why and how are you meeting Mike Caro? I guess I missed something. Please tell. Thanks! :club:
Mike Caro is a third cousin on my uncles wife's side, from her first ex husband.heheactually, He's giving a lecture here in Pennsylvania on the 28th. I plan on making the most of this occassion and speaking to him afterwards.