So Dan Harrington's NL Tournament Vol II is coming out on May 1, I still don't have Vol I. (Yes I know, I'm a giant lame loser). Should I buy these two to qualify for FREE SHIPPING on Amazon.ca, or something else like Sklansky's Low Limit Stakes book, or other? Keep in mind I hate cash games so I normally play more SnG and MTT's! Also I am seriously SERIOUSLY getting pissed at Royal Vegas. Although I was a keener before for their site, their software is getting absolutely rambunctuous!! Suggestions on whether Party would be good?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might i recommend "tournament theory for advanced players" by 2+2 (sklansky)?aseem
Really, you like TPFAP? I think it's OK, but there's more value you can find elsewhereAll I got out of it was the gap concept, especially since there are more modern and effective tournament equity calculations (PM justblaze, or me I might still have the links, he sent me some interesting stuff from old RGP posts), chops are less common, and NLH has become so much the standard for tournament poker that I think HOH vols 1 and 2 is a far superior way to go.The sections "chips change value" has become mostly outdated and was never good for online large-field tourneys, a lot of the material on table break-ups is worthless online as well, and it's very generalist in describing games, which is a bad thing due to most games being a limit format.It's sections on the all-in prop bet are interesting, and the "system" and the impact of the move-in at appropriate times, though.
Cloutier and McEvoy's tourney book is really good...its what I reccommend.
Oh please don't say that.Have you read Harringtons? I have to assume you haven't if you still think that one is good.
well definitly dont buy Sklansky's Low Limit Stakes book if you hate cash games 8)
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at.. just making examples though :oops:
i'm going to rama to play some 5-10 tomorow if you want to come with...i went on saturday night and was up 500$ until i ran into a major suckout bad beat.

Play Poker Like the Pros - Phil Hellmuthno ifs, ands, or buts about itI am just like you, don't like cash games and mostly play sngs and mttsdespite all the crap people say about it, the book is good, but you have to just humble yourself and try it the way Phil says to, and you'll be good.

No I haven't read it...but I found Cloutier's book very good.I also suggest buying lots of Avril Lavigne CD's.
Cloutier and Avril Lavigne CDs? BRILLIANT!
You have to make him buddy list you then, too, to make the most of your advice. I'll take care of it for you:His name is Jack24Bauer on stars, he's a giant fish.:club:
Play Poker Like the Pros - Phil Hellmuthno ifs, ands, or buts about itI am just like you, don't like cash games and mostly play sngs and mttsdespite all the crap people say about it, the book is good, but you have to just humble yourself and try it the way Phil says to, and you'll be good.
Please don't listen to this advice either.Man... go read another book and you'll realize how bad that book is.
well definitly dont buy Sklansky's Low Limit Stakes book if you hate cash games 8)
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at.. just making examples though :oops:
i'm going to rama to play some 5-10 tomorow if you want to come with...i went on saturday night and was up 500$ until i ran into a major suckout bad beat.
Yeah uh, not till May 12th. Sorry, its difficult being 18 :club:
Harrington's Book is expired, too old. Negreanu even told me that you have to adjust to the changing pace of the game.
What are you talking about?Harrington's book is the newest out. So it's not exactly old.If it's style you're talking about... Hellmuth is far more outdated than Harrington. He was at the last 3 main event final tables. What about Hellmuth?Hellmuth's style is the one who's hasn't evolved. You can't just follow one book and think you'll magically do well. But if you had read them all, you would know why I am saying Hellmuth's is bad.