**official Mma Thread**

I read a decent article about how weight cutting is absolutely useless now and fighters are only doing it because everyone else is doing it. It was originally just for the smart ones who were really good at it, but now, everyone cuts down and then rehydrated back up to the same size, which makes no sense. Now, all they are doing is making themselves miserable, risking their health and risking their cardio on fight night.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes about 3/4 of a years worth of winnings.

Seats - There are no good seats (unless you are ringside). We had floor seats 11 rows from the ring... pretty close and I paid quite a bit. I couldn't see shit. You can't see over other people's heads

The internet is an environment. Environments attract compatible creatures.   'Comment sections' of anything (Youtube being the best example, where the absolute lowest form of internet vermin are ap

Posted Images

I read a decent article about how weight cutting is absolutely useless now and fighters are only doing it because everyone else is doing it. It was originally just for the smart ones who were really good at it, but now, everyone cuts down and then rehydrated back up to the same size, which makes no sense. Now, all they are doing is making themselves miserable, risking their health and risking their cardio on fight night.

Link? I still see a lot of pairings where a guy is completely outsized, but I don't know.

Is anyone following the Duke Roufus drama? I'm trying to piece things together on Twitter but I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. Basically from what I gathered one of his fighters was killed in a match (kickboxing?) and the guy was clearly dazed but one of Roufus' assistants made him go out for another round. Now some people are coming forward saying Roufus severely mistreats his lower level fighters but not the higher level guys like Pettis, Askren, etc. I'm not sure what to make of it because I can't find a full story, I'm just seeing bits and pieces in several different places.

I was reading on different Twitter accounts that Roufus would order people to kick the shit out of others in training. Nothing will probably come of it though.

Seems like just a really weird group of people (the Roufus camp) after watching TUF this season. Even though they won everything it seems like none of the girls like the Team Pettis coaches.

Check it out Tanner. The weight cutting article.

http://mmajunkie.com...-cutting-weight

I read a different article a while back (unfortunately I can't recall source), but it was a comprehensive study trying to see how big an edge the guy who cut more weight compared to his competitor had come fight night. Even without me being able to re-read it, btw, I realize there are a large number of ways a study like this could be pretty badly flawed, so how seriously that "study" should be taken is probably up for debate as well. Anyway, the results found that the guys cutting more weight resulted in just a slight 52-48 edge on average. If that's even close to accurate, it really does show the idiocy of weight cutting (at least to the ridiculous lengths that many of these guys do).

And while personally I think extreme weightcutting is stupid, fighters can do what they want. I just hate the way it affects how we talk about weight classes. I hate the term "natural weight class," because a fighter's objectively true "natural weight class" is whatever weight class he is in prior to weight cutting. Not the weight class that fans/experts have decided is the one that fighter "belongs" in. What an absurd term.

I was reading on different Twitter accounts that Roufus would order people to kick the shit out of others in training. Nothing will probably come of it though.

Kicking the shit out of others in training isn't specific to Roufus though. Many martial arts schools in general (MMA camps included) have a culture of putting "lesser" fighters or "weekend warriors" in their place if they step out of line (based on arbitrary standards decided on by the top dogs and coaches). Which isn't to let Roufus off the hook, of course, as his camp could easily take that to a new level. It seems like a number of people who must be used to seeing this culture are still speaking out against Roufus, which probably is significant if they feel the need to differentiate him from typical MMA camp culture.

The next ppv Saturday is def worth the $60 but unfortunately I have to work out of town during the start and won't be close to home and I'll be about 30 miles to the next "ufc bar." I will be speeding Saturday night to make it for the first title fight. I'll post if I get pulled over

Ryan Ford fought Shields with a broken arm.

http://mmajunkie.com...h.ytIetuxw.gbpl

Connor McGregor and Frankie Edgar going back and forth.

http://mmajunkie.com...-ufc-title-shot

On the issue of weight cutting: see, Diaz v MacDonald for why Diaz promptly forgot the idea of fighting at WW. Fighting against larger, stronger guys is meaningful. MacDonald absolutely hobagged Diaz in R3. I rarely laugh out loud during fights but I did on that one.

http://tuvatv.ru/vid...-Rory-MacDonald

Joe Vedepo headbutts cop, will likely be cut.

http://mmajunkie.com...-police-officer

UFC is in a shit pickle with McGregor. Unlike with Cerrone where they know he tops out with whoever he gets next and its no big deal, they have huge plans for McGregor and he's infinitely more marketable but is in for some incredibly choppy waters at the top end of 45. I think that Siver is being underrated in this match against McGregor but assuming we can look past him, whoever McGregor gets next is going to be seriously unlike anything he's ever faced.

Does Connor McGregor beat what looks like to be absolute peak Frankie Edgar? I ****ing doubt it.

Does Connor McGregor beat what looks like to be absolute peak Frankie Edgar? I ****ing doubt it.

I don't think we've seen enough of him to say for sure that he can't win these fights.

I still think he will make a shitload for the ufc even if he loses. Look at Sonnen. He was so good at talking that he conned me into thinking that he had a chance against Rashad Evans. I bought the Ppv because of him. Conor will sell even if he loses to Edgar or Aldo. He's not losing to Siver.

I don't think we've seen enough of him to say for sure that he can't win these fights.

I still think he will make a shitload for the ufc even if he loses. Look at Sonnen. He was so good at talking that he conned me into thinking that he had a chance against Rashad Evans. I bought the Ppv because of him. Conor will sell even if he loses to Edgar or Aldo. He's not losing to Siver.

I think he hasn't faced anyone with A level wrestling yet. He's about to. That's where shit can get very weird for fighters of his style (ie, Silva/Sonnen). If he gets someone like Edgar next and the line is narrow, I'll probably buy Edgar at least medium. I agree he is a legit big favorite against Siver but upwards of -1000? I don't know. -300, -400, even -500, yes. 10 parallel universes before Siver chins him one time? Seems excessive. Not buying it but seems a bit much.

McGregor trolling is beyond ****ing hillarious though.

All I ask as a UFC fan is that Cerrone be fed to Khabib... Make it the first 7 round fight in UFC History. Or perhaps they can fight to the death in some local MMA organization on Dagestan.

Rose is sick but anybody can take her down

But the fight card with all these girls will be great. I love Girl fights

I feel like Tecia Torres is the best girl on the show but she should be fighting at 105. She is so small. Same with Rose.

I hope next season of TUF involves a girls division. The guys stuff has run its course on the show, more girls please. Put manly cyborg on it

Rose is one of those broads that looks weird, 50% of dudes will be turned off and the other 50% will think she's hotter than ****.

I happen to think she's hotter than **** but yeah. She has huuuuuuuge TDD issues.

• Like 1

Must've missed this but apparently after 4 consecutive L's, Mir is getting a fifth try against Bigfoot at 184.

They almost never do that but the handful of times they have, they've never given a sixth after 5 Ls so I think he can assume hes fighting for his UFC career (and against a legit test).

Giving him a try after 4 makes sense after his years with the promotion and his the level of competition he's faced (he isn't afraid to face top-top guys) but I think we can say its over if he can't win here.

He's a carry-over from the old era, not an athletic freak like todays guys.

Mir just has zero gas tank and no speed. He's so lumbering at this point. But HW is so thin, they kind of need him and his name. The casual fans that I know that used to be into it recognize his name. When I tell my buddy who is fighting nowadays, he maybe recognizes two names, but he used to watch every card 4 years ago. But I agree that if he loses again, it may be curtains. Although I think Mir quits as opposed to DW cutting him

I wish they would shitcan Stann and Florian (seems like they did with Florian) and let Mir do color commentary with Anik on the second team. I enjoyed him so much on WEC broadcasts.

I don't mind Stann. I was watching best of WEC today and Bonnar is a really really good announcer. I hope they try him at some point.

I know this is probably a silly complaint but does anyone notice how Anik and Florian say "that" like a billion times per fight? See if you notice it next time they announce together. I had to mute the last fight I was watching because it was bothering me so much.

Anik does it on his own without Florian, so if Florian is gone just listen to Anik do it

I could be wrong but I'm guessing the only reason Mir is still with the UFC is because he has some kind of 10 fight contract or something like that? The guy is donezo