So How Much Does Luck Really Have To Do With It?

Thanks guys....you have all got me thinking (apart from foldamous or whatever). I'm definitely going to have to read some more, but the comments have shifted my mind frame about my approach to the game etc. I need to learn more poker "skills".....get my head around it a bit more.I do enjoy playing online, but I do feel that a large part of the game is missing and the adrenalin rush you get, just isn't there. It just isn't treated seriously.But it is a fantastic "game". I'll let know how i go in a free tournament. Thanks!!!

Thanks guys....you have all got me thinking (apart from foldamous or whatever). I'm definitely going to have to read some more, but the comments have shifted my mind frame about my approach to the game etc. I need to learn more poker "skills".....get my head around it a bit more.I do enjoy playing online, but I do feel that a large part of the game is missing and the adrenalin rush you get, just isn't there. It just isn't treated seriously.But it is a fantastic "game". I'll let know how i go in a free tournament. Thanks!!!
play the 45 man free sit and go's. once you beat them regularly, deposit and play $1.20 45 man sit and go's.

The best line I have read or heard about luck and poker comes from Harrington on Holdem, where Dan admits that he has never made a final table without getting his money in with the worst of it and sucking out. And most would say he is pretty solid.Kinda like Daniel going runner runner with his 10 10 against Eskimo Clark yesterday, on the bubble no less.So despite all the skill in the world, being lucky sure helps at key moments!D

Poker is 99.9% luck in the short run, 99.9% skill in the long run.The skill in poker, at least in no limit holdem, can't really be described in statistics or numbers. In limit games i'm sure you can make an argument about it being statistically a skill game, but in no limit, the skill isn't getting all your money in as a marginal favorite over and over again as some people have been saying. You really think daniel negreanu and other consistent tournament players go deep in tournaments by winning a bunch of 55 - 45 races, or 60 - 40 races? The answer is no (you have any idea how lucky you would have to get to make 2 final tables if thats all you were doing?). The key to success in no limit holdem is to be able to pick up on your opponents patterns and tendencies and exploit them. You mentioned that when you see poker on TV it seems like its just blind luck. Well poker on TV is usually edited to show all the big hands, and poker on TV is usually a tournament final table, and at the final table of the tournament, a lot of it is luck, because the blinds and antes are so high. If you want to get better at poker, eventually your going to have to invest some real money, and play at the table for real money. It doesnt have to be for a lot, but the only way to really gain experience is to play for a little bit of money. You can buy computer similuation programs and play for nothing, but its not really the same. Making decisions is totatlly different when your playing for money. Watching poker on TV is kind of a risky way of learning how to play poker, for the simple reason that there are a ton of bad players and bad plays on TV. The only show really worht watching is high stakes poker on GSN, but the play in that game is way too advanced for beginners to really learn much. The last thing i'd reccommend is to read daniels blog. I mean heres one of the best players in the world, giving you insight to how he plays poker. The thing that daniels blog helped me with the most is the thought process while playing poker. How he makes reads, how he comes to his decisions on what to do, stuff like that.

If you want to get better at poker, eventually your going to have to invest some real money, and play at the table for real money. It doesnt have to be for a lot, but the only way to really gain experience is to play for a little bit of money. Y
I did a bit of searching and found a tournament close to home where you pay $50 to enter, with cash prizes for the winner of the night. I'm happy to spend $50, as that is about as much as I would spend on drinks. This week I am going to a free tournament to see how I go. My boyfriend has asked me to question about whether people count cards. He was talking about the card game "21" (i think) and he was telling me how you can count cards etc and asked whether it is possible in poker???
I did a bit of searching and found a tournament close to home where you pay $50 to enter, with cash prizes for the winner of the night. I'm happy to spend $50, as that is about as much as I would spend on drinks. This week I am going to a free tournament to see how I go. My boyfriend has asked me to question about whether people count cards. He was talking about the card game "21" (i think) and he was telling me how you can count cards etc and asked whether it is possible in poker???
haha, no, card counting is not possible in poker.
Does the dealer re-shuffle the cards each play??
ehh, yes...But in a way card counting of course is possible in poker and everyone does it when you calculate your odds&outs, only - you don't see most of the cards. :club:
Hi Guys and Gals,I have only discovered poker 3-4 months ago. Couldn't sleep one night and turned the TV and there was this card game playing. I watched it not really understanding it, but became hooked. Since that time I've held a few family and friend poker nights and I have started playing online with "play money".So I have a lot to learn, but I am very interested in learning more. But I do have the question ..... how much is down to basic dumb luck? I know this is a no no word when discussing poker. But I watch some people play and they seem to me to be just really damn lucky. It doesn't seem to be tactics, and they seem to call on everything and go in on everything. I don't know, maybe it is because it is online and it is play money and so people play completely different. But I would like those who are more experienced to talk about this with me a little......if you don't mind.
Luck will eventually even out. However you may find yourself going through noticable phases of bad beats 'online' and then you'll find AA twice in a row followed by ak aj etc.I only started poker about 8 months ago myself. In that time ive learned a hell of a lot. You can minimise people getting lucky of course. Don't put all your money in unless you really have to. Study the play, the bets, why is he doing this and that? How can you make money from a person when you hit a big hand? Recently those parts of my game have came along way.Not that i really took notice of those parts at the start lol. AK raise, flop k 10 9, all in without even a thought of what a player could have. Ahh the days lol..