Whats Wrong With The Medicus?

I got the sense DN curses the Medicus for developing bad habits for him in his swing. A friend just bought the Medicus and I'm wondering if there are problems with it.
the medicus won't let you turn your shoulders enough to work a draw. that's why i hate it.it'd probably improve most swings, though.

There are ways to "cheat" and have the hinge not break, which can develop some ingrained bad habits. This is what happened to Daniel, he thought he was using it correctly when actually he wasnt and his swing plane became very flat.Also, depending on your instructor, some would say that the clubface is actually open on the backswing when using it.A position that a lot of instructors look at is when the shaft is parallel to the ground on the backswing, the clubface should match the players spine tilt, the Medicus only does this if the player has no spine tilt. ie standing straight up and down. IF you tried this with the medicus it would hinge at this position.Hope this helps,Shane, your friendly neighborhood PGA golf instructor.

There are ways to "cheat" and have the hinge not break, which can develop some ingrained bad habits. This is what happened to Daniel, he thought he was using it correctly when actually he wasnt and his swing plane became very flat.Also, depending on your instructor, some would say that the clubface is actually open on the backswing when using it.A position that a lot of instructors look at is when the shaft is parallel to the ground on the backswing, the clubface should match the players spine tilt, the Medicus only does this if the player has no spine tilt. ie standing straight up and down. IF you tried this with the medicus it would hinge at this position.Hope this helps,Shane, your friendly neighborhood PGA golf instructor.
ahhh so that explains why i played so bad last summer. Daniel let me try his...and my game went straight downhill....wonder if i can get my $ back...hmmm.... :club:
Whats Wrong With The Medicus?
Man I hate these miracle "swing improvement" devices. I think some have merits, temporarily and to a limited degree, but everyone does not have the same body type. So if it's used incorrectly based on your unique posture or situation you run the risk of perfecting imperfect swing habits. And while Im no pro I have taken tons of lessons and have heard it all, believe me.This Medicus thing is a one trick pony for an average body type. It may help a beginner get going but it is no substitute for actually playing and one on one instruction or be able to adjust to an individual who may have physical limitations. Daniel may be in that physical limitation situation where, based on his body type or limitations, he may have to ultimately adopt an unorthodox swing, but one that WILL work for him. Only a pro can do this, not a swing aid in the living room.Look at Trevino, Palmer, Fyurik, etc. All HORRIBLE swings, but they work for those guys, obv. A great instructor eventually be able to help him hone a swing that is repeatable based on HIS body type and he will be back on track, and having FUN again, in no time!I also know that if Daniel stays on his workout and stretching schedule he will be ten times the golfer he was last year from that alone. :club:

I'm not much for gimmicks either. I did get the swing glove and found it helped with correct pronation and supenation. If you don't have one it's got a brace on the outside of the lead hand. That stops your hands from buckling. It's a comfortable glove as well for multi purpose. Gary Player has really great understandable tips for golf performance. The one I like the most is the no look putt. The basis behind it is if you've got everything else square in line to your putt you shouldn't even have to look when you follow through. I've heard Greg Norman talk about this alignment as well. It's a trip to hit 10-15ftrs with your eyes closed. See the ball be the ball Danny !!!! Sha na na na na na Sha na na na na For the medicus I haven't used it yet but seemed like a major crutch.