Pitchfork's Year-end-lists

But at the same time, they can kinda become a parody of themselves sometimes. And I think they sometimes try to either play off their image and go the other way (Justin Timberlake with the #1 song of 2k6), or embrace their readers and eschew anything that's too mainstream
I totaly agree. It's always entertaining when there's an album that's bad, but not really so terrible, but for some reason or another it rubs pitchfork the wrong way and they give it a .4 or something (see: Weezer, Liz Phair, Sonic Youth, etc). But their year end lists are the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
so im leaving school in a few hours which means no more downloading of music. what album(s) should i pick up right now?
If you haven't listened to them already, I'd suggest the following, off the top of my head:The new ClipseJoanna Newsom- Ys (not your normal cup of tea, but I don't think it's' anyone.... give it a few spins, and it'll be worth it... my favorite of the year, I think)Subtle- For Hero: For Fool (AWESOME, definitely in my top 5 albums for the year)Bonnie "Prince" Billy- The letting goProfessor Murder- Rides the Subway EPPhoenix- It's' Never Been Like That (Adult Contemporary version of The Strokes is how I usually hear it described)Beach House- Beach HouseI just went through a list and highlighted the ones I couldn't do w/o this year.
I totaly agree. It's always entertaining when there's an album that's bad, but not really so terrible, but for some reason or another it rubs pitchfork the wrong way and they give it a .4 or something (see: Weezer, Liz Phair, Sonic Youth, etc). But their year end lists are the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
I think for the new Fountains of Wayne album, the review was just a link to a YouTube clip of a monkey flinging it's own dookie.Wang

my personal vote for album of the year is junior boys. if it doesn't win pitchfork's silly contest, i will throw myself off a bridge.or listen to low's "sunflower" on repeat for 2 weeks like i did in college when i got dumped on my birthday.yes, that last thing really happened.

my personal vote for album of the year is junior boys. if it doesn't win pitchfork's silly contest, i will throw myself off a bridge.or listen to low's "sunflower" on repeat for 2 weeks like i did in college when i got dumped on my birthday.yes, that last thing really happened.
Yeah, the JB album is awesome. And Low makes me feel like a walking death-die. "Slowcore" = "Sadcore"Wang

I have no idea what you people are talking about, but I am familiar with the complete collected oeuvres of KFed, JT, and Beyonce, so I am not completely out of touch...

well, they were smart to recognize the awesomeness of grizzly bear. surprised the knife went numero uno.Their Top 10 Ablums of 2006:10. Scott Walker - The Drift9. Boris - Pink8. Grizzly Bear - Yellow House7. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury6. Liars - Drum's Not Dead5. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America4. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale3. Joanna Newsom - Ys2. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain1. The Knife - Silent Shout

THat's funny, because I opened this thread with the intent of saying, "Usually I'm at least passingly familiar with every band in the top 20, but who the heck is Grizzly Bear?" I've never even heard of them.This list comes as absolutely no surprise to me. I forgot about Boris (too long ago), and I was pretty sure Phoenix and Beach House were going to do well. A little surprised that Junior Boys didn't crack the top ten. At least I'll have a few new albums to listen to in the coming months.Wang

Embarrassing Admission of the Day:I really, really like Lily Allen. A while back my buddy walked in, and I was playing poker and listening to Female Britpop at full volume, bobbing my head back and forth singing along. My nickname was "Gay-Breath" the rest of the day.Wang

i think ryan's taste is often terrible. there isn't a single original idea on that site. most of what's good is lifted from Wire.
I don't really know anything about any of this, and what I do know, I just learn now, after listening to a handful of these albums, but you're clearly the greatest "hipster" of all time. With as little sarcasm as I can recall mustering as of late: your superiority over the rest of your field is mind-boggling, and really makes me want to get really into genres of music I don't really appreciate, just for the social hierarchy aspect. A similar passing hero inspired me to become a literary ******, after I heard him humiliate his friend at a yard sale in 10th grade. I didn't know what they were talking about, but the gist was: one made a reference to The Great Gatsby, and the other harshly rebuked him for not using what I've recently learned was probably a reference to a George Saunders story, which was implied to have been more applicable. Then, the first kid admitted he hadn't read whatever it was to which he was referring, thus losing.Where was I? Oh yeah, Mk rock more vag than a yeast infection.High again? No.
I don't really know anything about any of this, and what I do know, I just learn now, after listening to a handful of these albums, but you're clearly the greatest "hipster" of all time. Where was I? Oh yeah, Mk rock more vag than a yeast infection.High again? No.
lol. fwiw i probably like more mainstream music than all the other 'hipsters' on the site combined too. i just likes the muzaks in general. kelly clarkson = a-ok in this guy's book. also, that girl who just won the uk american idol (leona lewis i think) is going to be a gigantic star, on the scale of whitney and mariah before they both went crazy. the girl can bring it.

This list was pretty good, I generally agree with most of what Pitchfork has to say. My favorite album of the year wasn't on there, but then again I didn't really think it was the BEST album of the year, just my personal favorite. I personally just wish Pitchfork would stop sucking The Hold Steady's ****. That album is garbage. Usually during December I listen to all my favorite albums from the past year or ones that I haven't heard yet. However, at the advice of the local indie music store guy I've been listening to some older albums....namely Telefon Tel Aviv "map of what is effortless" and The Notwist "neon golden".......if you haven't heard those two bands before I highly suggest checking them out. Telefon Tel Aviv is just phenomenal.

neon golden is one of my favorite records of the past 5 years. hartsedit: i agree about hold steady too. yeah, yeah, lyrics are good, blah blah. not good enough. lol

This list was pretty good, I generally agree with most of what Pitchfork has to say. My favorite album of the year wasn't on there, but then again I didn't really think it was the BEST album of the year, just my personal favorite. I personally just wish Pitchfork would stop sucking The Hold Steady's ****. That album is garbage. Usually during December I listen to all my favorite albums from the past year or ones that I haven't heard yet. However, at the advice of the local indie music store guy I've been listening to some older albums....namely Telefon Tel Aviv "map of what is effortless" and The Notwist "neon golden".......if you haven't heard those two bands before I highly suggest checking them out. Telefon Tel Aviv is just phenomenal.
Haha, I love The Hold Steady. I just think they're a rocking band that writes super catchy, super rocky hooks. I liked Separation Sunday more, but both get a lot of spins on my iPod. Wang