** The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread **

I think Marion + Barbosa is better than Kobe in term of Phoenix's dynamics, especially since Barbosa sort of gives instant offense off the bench. And that doesn't solve Phoenix's problems with San Antonio. But people don't really ever seem to look at it that way.
I don't think Phoenix has a real bad problem with SA, they should have beat them last year except for the awesome screwjob that happened. I understand what you are saying about the Suns dynamics, but have you looked at what Kobe would pull off in that system? He would probably average 37-39ppg easily and thats just in the flow of the game. They would lose a bit of rebounding... but Kobe is arguably a better defender than Marion and while Barbosa is a nice player off the bench your talking about getting one of the best players in the league in exchange.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Classic Brv

he was as innocent as much as Kavanaugh doesn't like beer

The Blake Mamba

I think Marion + Barbosa is better than Kobe in term of Phoenix's dynamics, especially since Barbosa sort of gives instant offense off the bench. And that doesn't solve Phoenix's problems with San Antonio. But people don't really ever seem to look at it that way.Edit: The more I think about it though, Kobe + anybody is enough to be one of the best teams in the entire league. He would definitely improve their defense.
If you think SA is going to even pose a problem with a Kobe Nash Stoudemire trio, I don't even know what to say. SA is good enough to win the title against a bunch of good teams, but they can't raise their game high enough to beat great teams. That's why the Lakers beat them all those years.
If you think SA is going to even pose a problem with a Kobe Nash Stoudemire trio, I don't even know what to say. SA is good enough to win the title against a bunch of good teams, but they can't raise their game high enough to beat great teams. That's why the Lakers beat them all those years.
Sigh. Obv don't agree with this. Although I think Amare, Nash, and Kobe do beat the Spurs. Especially because I think Barbosa and Marion are two of the most overrated players in the league.
Here's Phil's explanation on why he started Brian Cook instead of Radmanovic in place of injured Ronny Turiaf, "Radmanovic last year, [Rasheed] Wallace toasted him and made fun of him and made 'Borat' jokes about him when he was out there."
Hilarious. I love Phil.
Pretty solid bench performance last night...People that thought the Lakers did not improve over the off season obviously did not know how bad Smush Parker was/is.
Their bench is nuts.Key time coming up here with Kwame out. This is Drew's chance to prove he can be the consistent low post threat. If he can do that this team can get to another level.
I dont think they are gonna trade him. I think they go after J O'neal. Im hoping anyway.
I don't really care if they do or not, I just wish if they were going to do it they would get it over with so I can stop hearing stupid rumors about it every other day.
I don't really care if they do or not, I just wish if they were going to do it they would get it over with so I can stop hearing stupid rumors about it every other day.
I've stopped listening. He's just too good. They cant get full value, and the fanbase will crucify them if they trade him. Unless soemhting happens, i.e., Jerry Buss opens his filthy mouth again, Kobe will stay.
I've stopped listening. He's just too good. They cant get full value, and the fanbase will crucify them if they trade him. Unless soemhting happens, i.e., Jerry Buss opens his filthy mouth again, Kobe will stay.
I think the best play at this point is to stand pat for this year. They've got $14M coming off the books this summer and guess who are FA's this summer; Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion. The best part is we're flexible to go after either one. We get Marion, he plays the 3, Odom the 4 and Bynum the 5. We get JO we could go Bynum at the 5 and Odom at the 3, or Odom at 4, Walton/Radmanovic at the 3 and bring Bynum and Turiaf off the bench. Just sick possibilities assuming they can play well enough to convince to Kobe to stay if we get one of these two guys.
I think the best play at this point is to stand pat for this year. They've got $14M coming off the books this summer and guess who are FA's this summer; Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion. The best part is we're flexible to go after either one. We get Marion, he plays the 3, Odom the 4 and Bynum the 5. We get JO we could go Bynum at the 5 and Odom at the 3, or Odom at 4, Walton/Radmanovic at the 3 and bring Bynum and Turiaf off the bench. Just sick possibilities assuming they can play well enough to convince to Kobe to stay if we get one of these two guys.
Antwan Jamison will be a FA next summer too. I'd love to see him in Laker Gold.
Oh yeah. Here's a quote taken off nba.com's GM assessment of JO's performance last season:One of the game's premier shot-blockers, he was a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate.
Well I've never been particularly impressed with his defense, but the experts know what they speak of.The one thing we can agree on, is that the Lakers need to sign someone. Preferably someone worth the money, and someone that Kobe wants. Who that is? I dont know, but the Lakers need to figure that shit out.
Well I've never been particularly impressed with his defense, but the experts know what they speak of.The one thing we can agree on, is that the Lakers need to sign someone. Preferably someone worth the money, and someone that Kobe wants. Who that is? I dont know, but the Lakers need to figure that shit out.
He's a better team and help defender than he is an individual post defender and he's still above avg in that area. He's also really good at rooting out his man in the post so he catches the ball a little further out than he wants which is an aspect of the game that's rarely talked about or looked at but hugely important.I agree they need someone and if it's O'Neal or Marion I think they'd be ready to roll and contend for the championship with Kobe, Odom, and either of the two as the centerpieces. If they fail during their respective primes then it's on them, but I think they'd be as good as anybody.
7-3 after a win tonight over the Pacers. Good start, team playing better than expected. And they just traded Cook and Evans to Orlando for Trevor Ariza.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3121132I dont know much about him, so I cant comment yet.
I'm not a big Ariza guy, but I'm sure they did it for money reasons. He has an opt-out this summer and hopefully he uses it so the trade ends up in a trimming of 3.5M. If he doesn't opt-out the contract is up the following season and it's still 1M less than Cook's. Best case he's gone and we increased the expiring contracts from 13M to 16.5M. Worst case, he stays on for one more year and effectively free's up 1M.
Saw part of the game last night, first time I've ever been really impressed with Bynum's play.
They need to get him the ball more. Kobe's the only one who looks for him.Just wait til he stops growing and starts shaving. That's right he's still growing which means he hasn't got all his coordination yet. They say he's a legit 7'2" now. He's also yet to shave. They should put that in his scouting report.