SH's where it's at. Unless you think that you're biggest advantage over your opponents is that you can wait for hands for hours while they all get bored. If your edge comes from outplaying your opponents postflop though, your winrate will be much higher playing SH.

SH's where it's at. Unless you think that you're biggest advantage over your opponents is that you can wait for hands for hours while they all get bored. If your edge comes from outplaying your opponents postflop though, your winrate will be much higher playing SH.
If you can control tilt.

After playing NL cash games for a while, tilt doesn't even affect me playing SHLHE. A 100 BB downswing at least usually takes some time. 6 or 7 buy-ins can come in a few big hands playing NL.

Ya, if you can handle NL cash you can definately handle SHLHE. At higher limits, I'd say SH is probably better for the reasons stated above, but at 3-6 could making the right pre-flop decisions (in FR) be as profitable as out playing opponents on the flop(in SH)?

There's little difference.Full ring is short handed with 3 or 4 extra seats tacked on.When you add in the extra seats... you make a bit less in the later positions, you lose a bit more out of the blinds, but you make up for it in the earlier positions.You get involved in fewer hands in full ring, but that just means you can play more tables at once.Rake also tends to be less significant in full ring for small stake games, but not by much.

After playing NL cash games for a while, tilt doesn't even affect me playing SHLHE. A 100 BB downswing at least usually takes some time. 6 or 7 buy-ins can come in a few big hands playing NL.
I tilt much more easily in LHE than NLHE...just goes back to that feeling of "helplessness".
the average Pots you know $$$ :club: are much More in FULL RING VS. SHORT HANDED!(from what I have observed)Get it! Got it? Good! :D
ya ya I got it now. Also, to Abba. So you're saying that you could make only a little bit more bb/hr at SH than FR if you were only playing one table at a time? (hypothetically cus your obv not gonna play only one table..)

To emphasize what others are saying. If you lack tilt control, don't play sh limit holdem. It's probably one of the more frustrating things to do when you're running bad. Also, if you tilt a lot, never EVER play heads up. I've gone through 100 bets at 10/20 in the matter of hours playing heads up while steaming. I'd pretty much echo everything else said above. If you can be patient, and just take your edges preflop over less patient people, then play full ring. I play 4 full tables to combat the boredom and fancy play syndrome that accompanies full ring play. When I play shorthanded, I generally only play 2 tables b/c you're making more decisions based on others' tendencies and how they're reacting to what you're doing. Also, it's just faster and having windows pop up is incredibly annoying.GL to you.

Also, to Abba. So you're saying that you could make only a little bit more bb/hr at SH than FR if you were only playing one table at a time? (hypothetically cus your obv not gonna play only one table..)
Sort of.But it depends so much more ont he players you're up against that it isnt worth looking at it from that perspective.I dont think anyone should play one and not the other. Play at whatever tables look good.It's the same game really.
I dont think anyone should play one and not the other. Play at whatever tables look good.It's the same game really.
Just to chime in, imo this is the best advice in the thread. I heavily agree 99999% with it.With that said, this advice implies that you should be comfortable in both, so if you're not comfortable playing sh, focus on it for a while.It's all about game selection.Aseem
Also, if you tilt a lot, never EVER play heads up. I've gone through 100 bets at 10/20 in the matter of hours playing heads up while steaming.
hehehehe. also really freaking good advice. =)Aseem

Building on what Abba and Aseem said, I think personal preference is vastly underrated (in life, as well as in poker, but that's another topic).If you like SH better, play more SH. If you like FR better, play more FR. For that matter, if you like LHE more than NL, or vice versa, go with your preference. Of course, you have to try it to find out if you like it.I just don't think it's worth fixating on one style, simply in the hopes of squeaking out a slightly higher winrate, if that means you end up playing a game or a style that you can't stand, and end up burning out in the process.

You might get more enjoyment, but having fun will come at a cost if it means you're playing at a tough full ring table when there's a really easy short handed one at your fingertips (or the other way around).

With that said, this advice implies that you should be comfortable in both, so if you're not comfortable playing sh, focus on it for a while.
If someone isnt comfortable at short handed, they probably arent very good at full ring.It's the same game. Full ring IS short handed once the first 3 or 4 people fold. And the first few people fold more often than not unless you're at a REALLY good table. The biggest difference is that people tend not to adapt because they dont have to - games are usually filled with bad players. You can be a marginal winner at full ring without playing well in late position and the blinds. But if you're put in a tough game, being tight is the norm. And what differentiates you from the rest is mostly blind play (identical situations to short handed). If you want to be a big winner at any game, you need to have all of the ability that you'd need to play short handed.
You might get more enjoyment, but having fun will come at a cost if it means you're playing at a tough full ring table when there's a really easy short handed one at your fingertips (or the other way around).If someone isnt comfortable at short handed, they probably arent very good at full ring.It's the same game. Full ring IS short handed once the first 3 or 4 people fold. And the first few people fold more often than not unless you're at a REALLY good table.
so, hypothetically, if someone were comfortable and moderately experienced at full-ring, what sort of efforts/guides could they do/read to become better at SH?hypothetically

Part of being good at full ring is being good at short handed play... is what im getting at. You should just have proportionately fewer 'short handed'esque situations. If it's folded to the CO in full ring, it's the same as if it's folded to the CO in short handed. Any differences in how people perceive the situation is entirely in their head. (and you should react accordingly)

Part of being good at full ring is being good at short handed play... is what im getting at. You should just have proportionately fewer 'short handed'esque situations. If it's folded to the CO in full ring, it's the same as if it's folded to the CO in short handed. Any differences in how people perceive the situation is entirely in their head. (and you should react accordingly)
Damn, those are actually some good points about fr and Sh. Never really thought about them... :club:

I don't know what it is, but for some reason, I'm way better at SHLHE than I am at FR. It seems like most of my value comes from being really aggressive and controlling pots, and when there's five people to the flop, I get kind of lost. With 6-9 players, I have 4,700 hands and average -0.08 BB/100With 2-5 players, I have 6,100 hands and average 3.81 BB/100Obviously that's a small sample, but it pretty much supports what I remembered in the past from my old database. Honestly, I think it's limpers and multi-way flops that throw me more than anything. I'm working on it; I just feel a lot more comfortable at SH tables.

I dunno, maybe limpers aren't the problem. That might be just the intuitive yet wrong explanation like where all the fish think they only lose when they get sucked out on. I'm actually a winner in all the early positions though, so it's not like I'm just playing too loose there. One thing I do wrong when I'm multi-tabling sometimes SH with FR is 3-bet too light not realizing that a raise came from EP. I'm sure if I just put in more hands, I can at least be a marginal winner at FR, but I just feel way more comfortable when it's shorthanded.