Probably My Best Call Ever...

That is a very good point, and here is my response:I suck at poker :club:
Nah, its one thing to make a decision in the heat of the moment and quite another to look at the hand, see what other people say and then come to a conclusion. Which, of course, is why we post hands in the first plce. In general, I think these discusions are just as important for the person who orriginally played the hand as they are for the other people that post, and as ISAP as well, I know my posting responses (which I need to do more of) will hopefully help my game as much as your reading others responses will help yours.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason I dont mind this call is table image. Even if you are wrong you send a message to the table that you are a calling station, which if you are a good player, can be very +EV.Gunn

you guys are pussys.making this call once in a while is fine by me.not a lot of the time, cause you'll be wrong probably more often, but i mean hell, if you think the guy was calling just on a draw and is trying to push you off, go for it. ive made "stupid" calls like these in cash games on rivers and been right, sometimes wrong...but i'd definately say I'm up big time calling river bets with just ace high (as opposed to being wrong). this is cause almost everytime I call a river with ace high I have a very good rhyme and reason, and OP thought he did too.until you've done it yourself and know you "can" do it correctly, get off this guys nuts.OP, don't second guess yourself. you made the right play in going with a range you put him on, his betting "pattern" and then decided on an action.I'm not saying your river play was optimal, but you were put in a spot and made what turned out to be the right play. you'll make mistakes throughout your career, but it's important to focus more on the positive than the negative of this game...cuz for most ppl the negative shines more clearly.gl- Jordan

you guys are pussys.making this call once in a while is fine by me.ive made "stupid" calls like these in cash games on rivers and been right,
cash <> tourneynot a good call.Yeah, I know it can be good to make these in tournies as well; but not in this case for 1300 more of his 2400.
cash <> tourneynot a good call.Yeah, I know it can be good to make these in tournies as well; but not in this case for 1300 more of his 2400.
the last time i remember making an ace high call (all in) in a tournament was from a long time ago.playing a $100 sng (so obviously old) on ub, guy raised co, i re-raised btn, he called. flop Txx he checked, i checked...turn he bet, i shoveled, he called. Ok, so I lied. I put him on AQ here, literally, and not a pocketpair cause i was about 100% sure he bets with a medium pair. i had been playing pretty nutso though, so i guess him callling all in with Ace high could be ok, to bad he was wrong. I laughed. as my AK won.- Jordan

I haven’t gotten a chance to read most of the other replies but I think that bet on the end screams that you missed and have ace high or maybe even 87 yourself. If you are going to bet the river bet it huge or all in and don’t put yourself in the position to have to call a river raise with ace high.Very good read though. I am not going to give you props for the call though - just the read. =)

I haven’t gotten a chance to read most of the other replies but I think that bet on the end screams that you missed and have ace high or maybe even 87 yourself. If you are going to bet the river bet it huge or all in and don’t put yourself in the position to have to call a river raise with ace high.Very good read though. I am not going to give you props for the call though - just the read. =)
Yeah you should have read the replies, we already talked about that :club: I cant believe this thread is still alive
And pot was 700 on flop, right?you bet 400.He's geting horrible odds to call for a straight, unless he thinks you pay him offYour bet shuts out one card draws.
folding an open ended straight draw to a roughly half pot sized flop bet may be a small mistake most times.OP got lucky the villian was such an idiot. i definately would have played you off your piece of crap hand (that you completely overplayed). i would have shoveled so hard (most likely on turn) your cap would have jumped up and spun around your head. (if for some reason i misclicked and called pf)nice call.
folding an open ended straight draw to a roughly half pot sized flop bet may be a small mistake most times.OP got lucky the villian was such an idiot. i definately would have played you off your piece of crap hand (that you completely overplayed). i would have shoveled so hard (most likely on turn) your cap would have jumped up and spun around your head. (if for some reason i misclicked and called pf)nice call.
Umm...Are you berating me, or just being ridiculously arrogant?
Umm...Are you berating me, or just being ridiculously arrogant?
i wasn't berating you (or didn't mean to if i was, sorry). i don't think i was being arrogant. but again, i don't have 'self awareness'i was pointing out that i think when you lead the turn i know you dont have an over pair and A9 is unlikely with the early raise (it's likely you put me on a draw and an overpair would probably have to lead for more). i'm not calling a turn bet with 8 high. i'm gonna take you off your hand or i'm all in going to the river with outs. now if you felt that your A was good you could check the turn, keep the pot small, and call a river bluff that doesn't represent so much of your stack. i wasn't saying the call wasn't good. in fact, i like the call and am happy that not everyone around the forum plays so robotically. i was saying that there were mistakes in the hand. no whoop.and again, my apologies for the condescension of the previous post. :club:
Navybuttons,why do you like the call?I play pretty wierd actually.
because the OP stuck with his read. i actually dislike the way the hand was played and it's not a call i'm going to make in that situation (if i somehow put myself there). sometimes players bluff with the best hand and people play all sorts of goofy online. not to mention that the villians line in this hand is one i use for a set against certain players like the OP. not that the OP is bad (i don't know how good he is) but i search people like the OP out (if he always plays like this). i'll smooth call with almost any 2 against this sort of player.if i played it with my suggested line the pot would be small enough that i could make the call and not risk so much to do it.