Poker Odds And Numbers

hey guys just wonderin about some numbers involved with poker. I have a betgoing with my friend, he says theres 2000 possible starting hand combinations in holdem, i say more like 800 or so, which one of us is closer to the truth. Also another question about flushes. If i have two suited cards in my hand, what are the odds of me flopping a flush draw? and if i do flop one what are the odds of me completing it. thanks for the great help and god bless.canadian wonder fish

hey guys just wonderin about some numbers involved with poker. I have a betgoing with my friend, he says theres 2000 possible starting hand combinations in holdem, i say more like 800 or so, which one of us is closer to the truth. Also another question about flushes. If i have two suited cards in my hand, what are the odds of me flopping a flush draw? and if i do flop one what are the odds of me completing it. thanks for the great help and god bless.canadian wonder fish
Flopping a flush draw I don't know, Im gonna ball park 1 in 15?Making the flush is nearly 35%.Possible starting hands is waay more than 800

Starting Hands:If we're talking about exact cards-There are 52 cards in the deck. We want to choose two of them (for Hold'em). So, the number is52 Choose 2 == 52!/[(2!)(52-2)!] = 1326 unique Hold'em hands.

The odds of flopping a flush when holding 2 suited cards is just under 1%. The odds of flopping a four flush when holding 2 suited cards is just under 11%.Mark
There are indeed 1,326 hands, if you count the A of diamonds and the A of Spades as one, and the A of Spades and the A of Diamonds as another.There are only 169 hands if you count any AA as one.
You would count them seperately, just like in Craps... you count 3 on each dice twice to make 6. So, 3/3 and 3/3 counts as 2 ways to make 6.
There are indeed 1,326 hands, if you count the A of diamonds and the A of Spades as one, and the A of Spades and the A of Diamonds as another.There are only 169 hands if you count any AA as one.
If order is not relavent (i.e., As followed by Ah is equivalent to Ah followed by As; Kc followed by 8h is equivalent to 8h followed by Kc, etc.) then this is a 2-combination of 52 objects; so, there are:C(52,2) = 52!/[2!(52-2)!] = (52x51)/2 = 1326 possibilitiesIf order is relevant (i.e., As followed by Ah is distinct from Ah followed by As) then this is a 2-permutation of 52 objects; so, there are:P(52,2) = 52!/(52-2)! = 52x51 = 2,652 possibilitiesThere are 169 equivalent starting hands:1. There are 13 distinct pocket pairs2. There are C(13,2) distinct suited starting hands = (13x12)/2 = 78. Note that although there are 4 distinct starting suits, each of the 78 possibilities within each suit are equivalent (i.e., 5h8h is equivalent to 5s8s, etc.)3. There are 78 distinct unsuited starting hands. Although there are C(4,2)=4 ways to choose two distinct suits, the hands are equivalent across each suit combination. Therefore, there are (13x12)/2 = 78 possibilities.The above gives a total of 169.Odds are expressed as a ratio of integers, not percentages. If p is the probability of an event, thenodds for = p/(1-p)If you are 4 to a flush after the flop, then there are 9 cards of your suit available from the remaining 47 cards that will make your flush on the turn or 38 of the remaining that will not. The probability of NOT making your flush is on the turn is:38/47For the river, there are 37 of the remaining 46 cards that will not make your flush. The probability of not making your flush at the river is:37/46Therefore, the probability of not making your flush is:38/47 x 37/46 = .6503; so, the probability of making your flush is:1-.6503 = .3497 = 34.97%For flopping a flush, the probability is given by:11/50 x 10/49 x 9/48 = .008418So, the odds AGAINST this are:(1-p)/p = (1-.008418)/.008418 = 118:1
New site that I have never seen before, thank you kkcountry!
math geeks*************in addition:JMoney2681: you should stay away from math based questions. bascomeb: you should get over the fact you looked silly in a lot of threads and grow up
I just ball park guessed them!
I just ball park guessed them!
You're good with avatars though. I like blondes just for reference. Last girl: HOT!Mark
In the context of my sentence, you are correct -- ratio of probabilities. I meant odds are generally given as a ratio of two positive integers (having no common factor)Nice catch.
not sure by reading your reply; but your error is in the use of the word INTEGER.Odds are the Ratio of Two Positive Real Numbers. (which, yes, happen to represent the probability of event occurring and not occuring)Integers are pos/neg WHOLE numbers and 0right?