I Need Your Input

I am a 24 year old college graduate who has been playing cards for 3 years now. I keep track of how i do and i am up alot over that time period (for playing 2 - 3 nights a week). I am at my third job since graduating and the workplace does not seem to be the place for me. I was thinking about taking my bankroll and trying to play for a living. Online 2 days a week and Live the other 3 (Atlantic City).I would like to know, from the people who play for a living, what the hardest part about playing for a living is. What adjustments i must make in my personal life. And if it is worth it. Thank you in advance for your feedback and advice.

I don't play for a living, but I would think one thing to worry about is swings... If you run cold for a while, are you going to be able to pay your bills? What if you go bust? I don't know what your BR is, or what stakes you plan on playing. I would say like being a professional athlete, you need a back up plan.

The hardest part about playing for a living is dealing with prolonged periods where you're running badly. That's why you need a relatively "large" bankroll.As for adjustments in your personal life, try to set goals for yourself. One problem with playing poker is that it can make you pretty lazy. Don't fall into that trap.

My bankroll will be about 6,000 once i pay off my bills til the first of the year. So i can play without worrying about how ill pay my bills. No mortgage yet so that helps. ill be playing 1-2 NL Cash, and the occasional tournament.

a couple thoughts:- playing online is more profitable. i'd recomend a month or two just playing online seriously, 5-6 days a week, with lots of bonuses/rakeback, to build up a solid bankroll first, and see how you like the lifestyle. also, that'll let you put some money away for health insurance, rent, etc.- you're young, unmarried, etc. but i'd consider your field, and whether employers are likely to be turned off if you have a big gaping hole in your resume. telling them you were trying to make it as a professional poker player doesn't usually relax them too much. in some fields though this isn't a big deal, or you could make up stuff about freelancing, but its something to consider.good luck

It could be worth a shot. I would say set goals...For example... Lose $X or Win $X per day... if winning after passing $X keep playing, but if you start slipping cash out with more than your daily goal. If you are going to treat it like a job, you got to think of it like one. You have to make a pay check.

a couple thoughts:- playing online is more profitable. i'd recomend a month or two just playing online seriously, 5-6 days a week, with lots of bonuses/rakeback, to build up a solid bankroll first, and see how you like the lifestyle. also, that'll let you put some money away for health insurance, rent, etc.- you're young, unmarried, etc. but i'd consider your field, and whether employers are likely to be turned off if you have a big gaping hole in your resume. telling them you were trying to make it as a professional poker player doesn't usually relax them too much. in some fields though this isn't a big deal, or you could make up stuff about freelancing, but its something to consider.good luck
"Independent contractor of internet-based business."Damn, I should add that to my resume.

Very valid points. I appreciate all of the feedback. Please keep it coming.You guys who play for a living. Tell me how you started. How you manage your daily schedule. What your schedule is. Thank you in advance.

Every "I couldn't do it" statement I've seen was because of one of three reasons (some already mentioned):1. Just couldn't cut itIf you've been keeping track of your performance over a long enough period, then you should be ok.2. Bills/cold streak caught up with the bankrollThis is the big one. You have to be very, very careful. People have already talked about bills. What happens if it comes down to only having enough for rent, are you going to pay rent/food/etc. or keep playing poker? The problem is, either way you're left without enough to really play for a living on. That choice has to be avoided at all costs.3. Not sticking to the planThis includes getting lazy, taking a shot at higher limits, experimenting with different mixes of live/online, cash/tournament, etc.If and when you have a bankroll far above what is needed for your current strategy, you can mix it up. Not a second before.Do yourself a favor and look for every "I tried and failed" thread here or on other forums. Read about other peoples' difficulties and take a frank look at yourself to see if you really think you can handle it.

Very valid points. I appreciate all of the feedback. Please keep it coming.You guys who play for a living. Tell me how you started. How you manage your daily schedule. What your schedule is. Thank you in advance.
Yo, Did you go to Widener? I think I recognize your name. If so, was your last class of you career an Economics class at 9am on Saturday you always came drunk too... lol...
You guys who play for a living. Tell me how you started. How you manage your daily schedule. What your schedule is. Thank you in advance.
I started playing .05/.10 NL, but I had a job at the time. Once I started making more money playing poker and had a BR saved up, I quit. As for my schedule, I'm probably not the person to talk to. I'm still in school and very spontaneous, so I'm not very good about having a set schedule.

i have supported myself during college (last 3 years almost +/-35k/yr worst 26k best 42k) by playing online, so here's my 2 cents:first of all it's always better ot error on the side of caution regarding bankroll req'ments if you're planning on playing for your only source of income. i multitable 3/6-5/10 online and try to always keep my roll near 500bb's. minimizing risk of ruin is absurdly important when poker is your prim. income. playing for rent is totally different than playing 2-3 days a week for fun. have 6 months of living expenses saved up. everyone says 3. but i never like to feel any squeeze financially. 12 would be ideal if possible. im sure "real" pros would have a lot more input, i have small living expenses, and a cheap tuition (CSU) so 40k a year is just fine, wanting to be able to purchase a house and other things like that is totally different. IMO, get a job with benefits, save up 12months living expenses, get a huge roll, be a constant winner playing almost every night for a long stretch. and if you still want to do it then. go do it. or you can just take a shot and worry about this crap later...

If I was the you, I would leave tomorrow! You have the ideal situation - Young and no responsibilities. Every bit of advice in this forum is solid, and very valueable. It is your dream, and your life. Go make it happen!Be the next big thing. Good luck.

If you're looking to support yourself with this money for a longer period of time than a few months, then I don't know if your BR is big enough. You need to grow your bankroll a lot in these next few months in order to have enough money by the time bills come around again. There is a good chance you will fail, but good luck sir.

a couple thoughts:- you're young, unmarried, etc. but i'd consider your field, and whether employers are likely to be turned off if you have a big gaping hole in your resume. telling them you were trying to make it as a professional poker player doesn't usually relax them too much. in some fields though this isn't a big deal, or you could make up stuff about freelancing, but its something to consider.good luck
Having a gap in employment while attending school full-time is not a major concern for employers.If it were ever even questioned, all he needs to say is he worked a few jobs during school and put enough money into savings to quit and focus on school. That's an honest answer that puts him in a positive light.
I don't play for a living, but I would think one thing to worry about is swings... If you run cold for a while, are you going to be able to pay your bills? What if you go bust? I don't know what your BR is, or what stakes you plan on playing. I would say like being a professional athlete, you need a back up plan.
Looks like he has a back up plan already if he has graduated college. I'd say go for it now before you have any REAL responsibilities.GL

I have an idea that I have never seen posted on here, may not be new but I will throw it out there for you. Everyone always cites the fact that you need health insurance if you do not have an employer, which they are right, now at your young age you can probably get a PPO for $100 a month or so, but why not get a part time job at a place like starbucks or Gap or somehting like that that will give full benefits for 16 hours a week. That is 2 full days, leaving plenty of time for poker and you still will make some money that is guaranteed.

I see your point about getting bored with it. That is possible in a few years. I have my degree to fall back on which is always good. As far as a future gf goes, right now im looking out for #1, I can deal with that later.

It could be worth a shot. I would say set goals...For example... Lose $X or Win $X per day... if winning after passing $X keep playing, but if you start slipping cash out with more than your daily goal. If you are going to treat it like a job, you got to think of it like one. You have to make a pay check.
With all due respect to you sig, I dont think this is the right way to look at it. You cant make yourself make money every day, and focusing on that goal is going to distract you from what's important...playing well. Make good decisions, and you will make money in the long run, but you will have good days and bad days. I would suggest looking up DN's article "play hours, not results", or something to that effect where he discusses this very subject. Alright...I looked it up for you:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/daniel/pok...6862&ucat=8Good luck, I hope it goes well, but I would be remiss if I didn't say it: Dont forget to post when you go broke. :club:
What limits do you think i should play? NL or L?
Sign up on a site where you get rakeback, and start multitabling whichever game you are better at. $2/4 -5/10 limit or .50/1 NL or 1/2 NL. I'd go .50/1 NL because I like a larger bankroll for multitabling, and because the NL games online are much softer than the limit games. Stick to 50 buy-ins for a bankroll to all but remove RoR, and start grinding 40-50 hours a week whenever the games are full and juicy. Break your grind down into two sessions a day to keep fresh, with several hours in between for relaxing, the gym, or whatever else clears your mind and refreshes you.Don't play live for a living at this point. The games online are good, and no tipping, multitabling, smaller rake, and ~27% rakeback make online far more profitable for low to mid stakes grinders. Figure out what your monthly nut is, and take it out of your roll at the beginning of each month. Even if you're paid up ahead of time for several months, adding to the nest egg is a neccessity to make sure the bills stay paid long term. Make sure to add a few bucks to a savings account AND retirement plan along with the monthly bills. Also, inclue food, gas, and entertainment in your monthly nut calculations. Keeping all this money separate from your roll will keep you stable and give you the best chance of making it.Don't be pressured to move up. Find a game that supports your expenses plus a little BR growth and grind it out. Have a huge surplus banked (i.e. half of the roll need to play the level your moving to, plus the full BR for your current level.) before you move up. That will keep you from going backwards.If you can be this discilplined and are a winning player at a level that will support this lifestyle, you should be successful.On a side not, work on your Masters Degree as time and money allow. Education is always a good thing, the more the better.