Semi-bluffing

Semi-bluffing  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is semi-bluffing as valid a play as it was 3 years ago?

• Yes
    • No

I'm looking to get others' opinions on semi-bluffing (specifically in Hold 'Em) in this day and age of poker where nobody ever folds.

I'm looking to get others' opinions on semi-bluffing (specifically in Hold 'Em) in this day and age of poker where nobody ever folds.
of course it's still valid.BTW, Sometimes you don't want your opponent to fold when you semi-bluff with the nut flush draw, OE'r..etc....THINK ABOUT IT.
I used to worry about people not folding, then I started to make money off of it. It's still a valid play.
what happened 3 years ago?
Gus Hansen got hit by a bus.But seriously, I think the op is refering to how much more agressive poker has gotten. I think the semi bluff is still as important as it used to be. It's still hard to call off all your chips in any situation.

Sure it's still valid. I just think that one needs to be a little more selective of which opponents to use it against. Has the opponent demonstrated an ability to make a tough lay down? Or, have they demonstrated a willingness to pay off a value bet on the river with a coordinated board? Just like the check/raise, I think it's a move that can be over-used. Semi-bluffing isn't the optimum move in every situation.

of course it's still valid.
Sorry, maybe valid is not the right word, EFFECTIVE is more what I'm looking for.The beauty of a semi-bluff is the old addage that you have 2 ways to win the hand:1.) your opponent folds2.) you make the best handAll I'm saying is it seems like 3 years ago people were more likely to fold marginal holdings. Now people are taking those same marginal holdings all the way to the end, which, while it helps w/ made hands, drastically reduces the value of semi-bluff hands.Basically it seems like semi-bluffing (especially at lower limits) is akin to "value-betting" the worst hand.
of course it's still valid.BTW, Sometimes you don't want your opponent to fold when you semi-bluff with the nut flush draw, OE'r..etc....THINK ABOUT IT.
It is rare that I don't want the person to fold to my semi-bluff when I am on any draw.Guaranteeing me the pot with a fold is IMO always good instead of gambling for the bigger payday if my draw hits. I view the draw as my out should the person not fold. I hope not to need the out but it is nice to know it is there.Edit : also semi-bluffing is still extremely effective in live games.
It is rare that I don't want the person to fold to my semi-bluff when I am on any draw.Guaranteeing me the pot with a fold is IMO always good instead of gambling for the bigger payday if my draw hits. I view the draw as my out should the person not fold. I hope not to need the out but it is nice to know it is there.Edit : also semi-bluffing is still extremely effective in live games.
I said..think about it.Sometimes your semi-bluff will get called by a worst hand. Think about it some more.
I said..think about it.Sometimes your semi-bluff will get called by a worst hand. Think about it some more.
yep.***********************And to the extent that Semi-bluffing with some weaker draws may be less effective now, getting paid off over-betting monsters is a pretty sweet consolation prize