Hello,I have been playing poker online for about 1 1/2 years now and think its time to buy my first book on poker.I only play Holdem and 98% of the time N/L Holdem, also I mainly play SNG's and the occasional MTT. I would classify myself as definately above average. My current bank roll is $4500. I am not looking for a beginners guide or a very simplistic book but a readable decent book that will help my game.Please can I have suggestions on which book or 2 books I should buy and the best place to buy them over the internet.P.s. I live in England.Many thanks.Andy.

Theory of Poker by Sklansky is a must for any poker player IMO. If you haven't read this book get it now. It helped my game 10 fold the first time I read it. Even after the first time I read it I picked up more nuggets on the next couple of reads.A lot of people may respond to this thread saying get super system. While I think it's important to know the concepts in the book, I think it's a bit outdated now. Both are available on Amazon.co.uk so it's not a problem getting hold of either.

I recently added a few new books to my collection...I went out looking for sklansky's The Theory of Poker, and didn't see it at my local bookstore, but did see Super System 2 sitting on the shelf so I picked that up, and then having to resort to amazon to get theory of poker, I also picked up Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and Ed Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth Small Stakes Hold'em...But they just arrived yesterday so i can't really comment on the content of the books...In addition I myself have gleamed some excellent information from Sklansky's Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players 21st century edition...I am sure any or all of these books will greatly help your play, and you can't go wrong getting as much info as you possibly can... Just decipher it all and treat it like you are supposed to... as a guide and not a bible... and you'll do just fine...

you should cancel SuperSystem 1 and go with part 2......the no limit section is the same thing in both, and part 2 has info on most of the other games that are played today.......most will agree that jen harmons limit section is very good, and since i play triple draw on UB a lot, i enjoyed daniels section on that as welllot of outdated info on games that dont really exist much anymore in part 1.....i think you should definitely go with part 2

I also havent read any books yet, I play microlimits limit atm and thinking off buying the super system and amazon is a good site that also ships to mine country 8)

Top Poker Books:Theory of PokerHoldem for Advanced PlayersHarrington on HoldemChampionship PL and NL HoldemKiller PokerTao/Zen of pokerSS2 currently reading:SSHE (as per Smasharoo's recommendation)Currently rereading: Theory of Poker (at least once a month)

Please, just call me Dude :D You're welcome, you also may want to check out the poker books page for more info.
or El Duderino, or his Dudeness???

small stakes holdem, by miller/malmuth/sklansky. the approaches and strategies i use for 10-20 dont readily apply to low limit online. Taking money from players who arent thinking is a different animal than taking money from players who are thinking poorly. A good player will adapt to the game he is in, rather than seeking out games his particular style is suited for.

Imterestinmg theory about the good player, I tend to agree.Although surely it more profitable to seek the game that suits your style ?
of course its profitable, the point is that a truly skilled player can make money in any game by ADAPTING his style. Indeed, the ability to adapt ones style to the game conditions at hand is an exceptionally valuable skill, and one that players should strive to excel at.
Cancel your SS2 and get Harrington on Hold Em. Its purely about tournament play and has helped my game immensely.  The best book available on the subject, bar none.
Harrington's book is fantastic. I totally agree.

I notice on justblaze's list he included killer poker... and in my opinion if you are someone who has become comfortable w/ the fundamentals and basics of the game and are looking to take your game to the next level it's the perfect book. It really goes beyond the game and really works on getting the proper mindset to win... It's helped my game a lot... just a suggestion

I notice on justblaze's list he included killer poker... and in my opinion if you are someone who has become comfortable w/ the fundamentals and basics of the game and are looking to take your game to the next level it's the perfect book. It really goes beyond the game and really works on getting the proper mindset to win... It's helped my game a lot... just a suggestion
yea i really liked it too. has absolutely nothing to do with poker strategy, which is refreshing. It talks about your goals at the poker table, the way you should be thinking at the poker table. John Vorhaus is a good writer, as well.

I strongly recommend SS2 and Theory of Poker. Definitely read those.Oh yeah, I'm a groupie who just jumps on the bandwagon and hasn't actually read either of those books. However, please take my advice and make me feel special.......... I'm so lonely... :D