Nintendo Wii

I'm sure there are a few console gamers in here, and today Nintendo is putting out the launch details of their next generation console.Gamespot updates from the press conferenceSome highlights...Launch date: Nov 19th.Retail Price: 250.00Includes: System, One Wii remote, one nunchuk both included. and Wii Sports, a multisport game that demos the full features of the new controls (tennis, golf, baseball, bowling, and boxing are the games included in Wii Sports)"One price, one configuration, one color." So there's only a white one (for now). The system will show up at 25,000 retail locations, so it probably won't be too hard to find one--especially since Reggie just promised 4 million units shipped globally by the end of calendar 2006, with the majority share going to North America.25-game launch lineup, not surprisingly being led by The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Other launch titles include Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden 07, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Splinter Cell: Double Agent.Also information about Wii channels being announced including the ability to download older games from previous systems including the NES, SNES, Sega Genisis, Turbographix-16 & N64.

Thanks for the info. I haven't been a gamer in a long time now and probably was never really considered a gamer as I only played occassionally. Anyway, this is Nintendo so I'm assuming it's cartridge and not disc...right?

Thanks for the info. I haven't been a gamer in a long time now and probably was never really considered a gamer as I only played occassionally. Anyway, this is Nintendo so I'm assuming it's cartridge and not disc...right?
I beleive they are small discs, similar to the gamecube. The system will also be backwards compatible with gamecube and has a hidden panel that opens up 4 plug ins for GC controllers.Wikipedia infoThere is a good source of more information if your interested.

Does anyone find it interesting that 'World Series of Poker' is one of the 1st 25 titles that will be available?In general, other that the original Nintendo which changed everything, I have never been a fan... it seems like all their games are cartoons and their controllers suck. I am confident that I will never buy one, but it is VERY cool that they are going to allow you to download games from old systems... in fact, if you could download any original NES game, I may buy one just for that.

In general, other that the original Nintendo which changed everything, I have never been a fan... it seems like all their games are cartoons and their controllers suck. I am confident that I will never buy one, but it is VERY cool that they are going to allow you to download games from old systems... in fact, if you could download any original NES game, I may buy one just for that.
Nintendo is by far the most inventive game company there is. I don't know how you can say their controllers suck when they were the first to do vibration and analog. Pretty much every game controller you play with on any system is using things Nintendo started in the console market.The games being cartoons is also a bad sterotype for kids who buy into the Sony is cool hype they have been generating since PS1. Sure they don't have GTA, but they have plenty of other games that contain violence.
...it seems like all their games are cartoons...
Yes, the Resident Evil games are just like cartoons.So what if Mario's a cartoon? He's a freaking cool/fun cartoon.

I meant no offense, just personal preference I guess... plus I don't like sony either... I'm an Xbox fan.

Awesome awesome awesome..... thank you for posting! This is going to be the first system I buy on my own, and I am so super excited. The only ones I have had are a Sega Genesis and my beloved N64 that I still play to this day (can you believe the thing is 10 years old this month???). Oh boy, don't get me started on N64, the thing is amazing... I was insanely re-hooked this summer and even bought a few used games from Amazon, and had a healthy summer addiction to Super Mario 64 (beaten completely from scratch for the millionth time), Road Rash 64 (brilliant f-in game), Mario Party, 1080 Snowboarding, Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64... oh boy, the list goes on. And of course, although I didn't play it over the summer, both Zeldas are among my most beloved games of all time.I have been drooling over the Wii since it was first announced this past E3 and have been dying for it, and the news that it would be the cheapest next-gen system was amazing. I always drooled at my friends' Xboxes and PS2s and now Xbox 360s, but I could never get them because they were too expensive to be worth it when there were only a handful of games that truly appealed to me the way Mario 64 does. But finally, I saw the new Mario for Wii and the new amazing freaking Twilight Princess all with this amazing innovative new controller style, etc. and I am dying for the release.I was never a Nintendo fanboy, but I think I am going to be now... <3 Nintendo. =DOkay, sorry for the rant... can't wait.Nintendo Wii bundle - $250Zelda Twilight Princess - $50Mario Galaxy, maybe - $50 * 0.5 probability Another controller for the girlfriend + visitors, etc. - $40+$20 *The best f-ing video game experience since N64 - priceless(Lost MIT diploma due to Wii addiction - $100k/yr)* What's with this -- the remote part is sold separately (for $40) from the nunchuck part (for $20)? Come on Nintendo, don't suddenly pull this rip-off tactic when you all have made a commendable genuine effort to keep the price down as part of your goal for mass acceptance....(If any of you watch the roughly hour long press conference video from the Gamespot link the OP provided -- it's hilarious... while there is a lot of cool stuff in there and a lot of is the truth, there is plenty of obvious marketing hype. They are pulling the same move as Microsoft and Sony in trying to make the console replace the PC and become the center of the home entertainment system, and so they use reasoning like "viewing photos and checking the weather is so much easier through the Wii... you don't have to [in an overdone voice] BOOT UP the old PC, which takes FOREVER, and LOG ON to the internet and WAIT for the photos to load".... LOL)Thanks again OP for the link! Can't wait till Amazon emails me and I can finally reserve it.Aseem

Awesome awesome awesome..... thank you for posting! This is going to be the first system I buy on my own, and I am so super excited. The only ones I have had are a Sega Genesis and my beloved N64 that I still play to this day (can you believe the thing is 10 years old this month???). Oh boy, don't get me started on N64, the thing is amazing... I was insanely re-hooked this summer and even bought a few used games from Amazon, and had a healthy summer addiction to Super Mario 64 (beaten completely from scratch for the millionth time), Road Rash 64 (brilliant f-in game), Mario Party, 1080 Snowboarding, Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64... oh boy, the list goes on. And of course, although I didn't play it over the summer, both Zeldas are among my most beloved games of all time.I have been drooling over the Wii since it was first announced this past E3 and have been dying for it, and the news that it would be the cheapest next-gen system was amazing. I always drooled at my friends' Xboxes and PS2s and now Xbox 360s, but I could never get them because they were too expensive to be worth it when there were only a handful of games that truly appealed to me the way Mario 64 does. But finally, I saw the new Mario for Wii and the new amazing freaking Twilight Princess all with this amazing innovative new controller style, etc. and I am dying for the release.I was never a Nintendo fanboy, but I think I am going to be now... I got to say, I've owned the following systems: NES, 2 Gameboys, SNES, Sega Genesis, GameGear (Color screen, blew Gameboy away), N64 and PS2.I was diehard from NES - N64 but never cared at all when I got the PS2. The games just wern't the same to me and I never had the passion to play. I'm dissappointed I didn't go with GameCube as I prefer the 'fun cartoony' games.I must agree with you, Nintendo Wii is making me want to get back into games again and I'm dying to play the new Zelda. If only they brought back Turok things would be top notch hehe.

This new controller will bring the excitement back to video gaming. Using it as a putter, tennis racket or a sword is awesome.I played the 360 a few times and while the visuals are amazing, the games are the same boring crap that I've been playing for the last 4 or so years.I won't be surprized if the 360 and PS3 both come out with the same interactive technology the Wii has within 6 months from now.

If only they brought back Turok things would be top notch hehe.
I never really played much Turok, but I will say that the 'cerebral bore' in Turok 2 might've been one of the most fun multi-player weapons ever. For those of you that never experienced the joy of this particular weapon, I'll try to recount my slightly foggy memory. If I recall, it only had one "shot" when you picked it up. If you locked on to your opponent and fired, several seconds would go by and this buzzsawish sound would start. Essentially, your opponent could've run halfway across the level and behind many walls, but the bore would find him. Once he was overtaken, a large worm thing would start drilling into his head and eat away half of his health. If we're doing an SAT...Blue shell : Mario Kart :: Cerebral bore : Turok 2You know it's coming...you know it's going to kick your ***...and you know that there's essentially nothing you can do.
I got to say, I've owned the following systems: NES, 2 Gameboys, SNES, Sega Genesis, GameGear (Color screen, blew Gameboy away), N64 and PS2.
Oh, and if we're having a console pissing match (sw)...my family has owned 2 Nintendos, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, 2 Gameboys, GBC, GBA, 2 Game Gears, Virtual Boy, 3DO, Super NES, PS1, Dreamcast, 2 N64s, PS2, 2 GameCubes. We also had a pinball machine for a while. =)
Blue shell : Mario Kart :: Cerebral bore : Turok 2You know it's coming...you know it's going to kick your ***...and you know that there's essentially nothing you can do.
ROFL, nh sir. Brilliantly done.Aseem
This new controller will bring the excitement back to video gaming. Using it as a putter, tennis racket or a sword is awesome.I played the 360 a few times and while the visuals are amazing, the games are the same boring crap that I've been playing for the last 4 or so years.I won't be surprized if the 360 and PS3 both come out with the same interactive technology the Wii has within 6 months from now.
Yea the PS3 controller has already been rebuilt to be similar to wii where you can interact with the console by just moving the controller.It reminds me of watching my dad trying to jump over a gap in Mario Bros for NES and he'd move the controller with his hands thinking it will help mario make it... but of course he always fell to his doom.
Blue shell : Mario Kart :: Cerebral bore : Turok 2
I thought it was the red shell?Oh well, either way I'm going to get the Wii.

Hi my name is tobytobey and I am addicted to video games....NES (with the power pad)Super NintendoNintendo 64Game CubeGameboy (Original non-color and still works)Nintendo DSSega DreamcastPlaystationPlaystation 2 (with Hard Drive)PSP (Play Station Portable)About 90% of the games I bought new at the store have the original boxes, instructions and misc. inserts. I also have 100% of the original boxes for the systems.Favorite Games: Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Techo Bowl, FFXII can't wait until the Wii comes out and would buy it just for the new Zelda game.ps. anyone who has a DS with mario kart and wants to race let me know.

I thought it was the red shell?Oh well, either way I'm going to get the Wii.
No, no no. Yes, the red shell does "lock on," as compared to the green shell which goes in a straight line and obeys the normal dynamics of "bouncing off of stuff." However, the blue shell has wings and locks on. It automatically goes after the person who is in first place and hits them. Not only that, but it makes an explosion so huge that anyone around them is also hit. And it never misses.Actually, that's a lie. I've seen it miss on two occasions. My friend was able to successfully "deke" it twice. Needless to say, he instantly became my hero.
No, no no. Yes, the red shell does "lock on," as compared to the green shell which goes in a straight line and obeys the normal dynamics of "bouncing off of stuff." However, the blue shell has wings and locks on. It automatically goes after the person who is in first place and hits them. Not only that, but it makes an explosion so huge that anyone around them is also hit. And it never misses.Actually, that's a lie. I've seen it miss on two occasions. My friend was able to successfully "deke" it twice. Needless to say, he instantly became my hero.
Enlighten us please.
Enlighten us please.
It was in the course "Baby Park" (which my friends and I exclusively play, by the way) and the blue shell was coming at him as he was going around a turn. He successfully skidded around the turn and the shell went post him and went into the out of bounds (I think). It all happened so fast. But it went off screen and never came back.
I'm not sold on the motion controller idea. Can you still use a 'normal' controller on the Wii?
143961295_903c201ce3_o.jpg I was disappointed at first too to be honest, but once I saw the video of it at use with Zelda I was totally sold.
I'm not sold on the motion controller idea. Can you still use a 'normal' controller on the Wii?
Use it as...- a sword and shield (Zelda)- fishing rod (Zelda)- bow and arrow (Zelda)- a golf club - imagine Tiger 2007 and having to make acurate swings... :club: - tennis racketThis is going to be the hottest exercise machine of the decade :D And yes, Baby Park is the best level in Double Dash.
YesI was disappointed at first too to be honest, but once I saw the video of it at use with Zelda I was totally sold.Same for me