Let me first preface with this. I have been playing online for about six months. I have developed an ultra-tight aggressive stye. I have become aware that this may be hurting me in the long run (being blinded too much and not getting good hands paid off). I have attempted to loosen up considerably and take more risks here and there. This particular hand seemed to be a good one to get some feedback on and see where my thinking was off. Although I won the pot, I am content that I played this hand poorly. BTW, This has been the best forum I have come across so far, there seems to be gret discussions and far less condescension than some other notable forums. Thank you in advance.Party Poker Regular NLHE tournament $1.00 buy-in*Stack sizes are approximatedMe (BB) $12,000 Opponent UTG + 2 $5,000Blinds 100/200I was holding (5c 4c)I had been playing very tight to this point (AA-TT, AK, AQ). Opponent (Not especially tight, no especially loose) made it 600 to go and everyone folded to me. I decided to tke a flop. The board comes down Kc 7h Qc. Being out of position, I bet out 600. Opp. reraised to 1200. After some thought I called, I was thinking that he had a strong hand but was vulnerable and with 1300 + 1200+ 600 = 3100 calling the 600 seemed reasonable (Of course whether one should include their initial bet as a separate part of the pot odds decision I don't know). The turn came a 3d. I checked and Opp. bet out 1200. I figured he was half way invested at ths point but might lay it down if a club came on the river. But the 3 gave me additional outs and I knew if a non-club 6 came he would pay off the hand with the rest of his chips. So i called the turn bet and rivered a 9c. I bet out 300, he called. He showed Kh Qd. So I took down a pot of 6100. This hand feels like a learning opportunity, is this an appropriate way to play suited connectors and where was my thinking right on/way off?

Dammit, I tried to get away with the joke, but you were so earnest, and put effort into being clear... I can't do it.1. If you want legit responses to strat questions, you should post in strat, and listen to 20% of the advice given.2. The way it went down, I have no problem with the way you played the hand. You got tricky, changing gears, and were priced in the whole way. I would have bet more on the river though.3. Ultra-tight aggressive can work really, really well if you are adept at stealing and reading. Trust me on this. Phil Helmuth is a character, but he is a fine example of this strat.4. I'm Spademan, learn to love me now, because I am the best thing that has ever happened to you.5. Welcome to the forum.

your already commited as far as i can tell on the turn.i dont like calling the 600 pre-flop with just 45 against this type of player (im assuming you labled him as fairly tight but not ultra tight).on the turn your best option is to have pushed, no doubt about it.your bet of 300 on the river was just TERRIBLE. i cannot stress this enough.you ultimatley gave away the fact that you just rivered a flush. a bet of 1.5 times the bb into that size of a pot? you are better off just checking that to him and hoping that he bets he now dead hand into you.also dont post in general for strat ever again.general poker is for talk about jessica alba and posting about how big lindsay lohans tits are latley.

you are better off just checking that to him and hoping that he bets he now dead hand into you.
I think he was representing a draw throughout the hand and checking the river would more than likely make his opponent check as well. If you had him on something like KQ AK AQ QJ, then you have to make that river bet a bit larger at least for value-sake. The pot was 5,500 at that point and you only bet 300 into it. You want to make him pay to see your hand, especially if you have him on top pair or even two pair. If I'm correct, he only had 2,000 after the river. If you think he's moderately strong with maybe AK, try for 1k or even put the pressure on him and put him all in. With what he had invested, chances are he would've called 2k with his KQ.Just my opinion.

I like putting in a big check/raise on the flop when I call a raise and flop a draw. That way I can also check/raise my strong hands and my opponents won't know what I have (if that is of course, they're paying attention). The way you played it I also wouldn't mind a re-raise push on the flop either. In NL, the flop is the best time to push draws because you still have two cards left to help you. The way you played it was kind of weak, but not terrible...you need to bet more on the river though. Oh, and like Spademan said, take these kinds of threads to the strat forum. Good Luck.

My .02If your going to check-call on your flush draw there is no way you check when you hit your card. I would have pushed between half and all of the pot if you have him on a marginal hand and considered pushing alot more if you put him on TP or better. In the lower buy ins you won't find a whole lot of people getting away from top pair regardless of kicker.

My .02If your going to check-call on your flush draw there is no way you check when you hit your card. I would have pushed between half and all of the pot if you have him on a marginal hand and considered pushing alot more if you put him on TP or better. In the lower buy ins you won't find a whole lot of people getting away from top pair regardless of kicker.
that sounds familiar. If i can just remember where i heard that before
Dammit, I tried to get away with the joke, but you were so earnest, and put effort into being clear... I can't do it.1. If you want legit responses to strat questions, you should post in strat, and listen to 20% of the advice given.2. The way it went down, I have no problem with the way you played the hand. You got tricky, changing gears, and were priced in the whole way. I would have bet more on the river though.3. Ultra-tight aggressive can work really, really well if you are adept at stealing and reading. Trust me on this. Phil Helmuth is a character, but he is a fine example of this strat.4. I'm Spademan, learn to love me now, because I am the best thing that has ever happened to you.5. Welcome to the forum.
WOW, STRAT MUST BE IMPROVING TO UP TO 20%
new sig.
I was just thinking that. Great line. I was also wondering why so many people had strayed from general to specifically answer this question. Then I realised this had been moved from general.I've been thinking too much. I need to discuss something trivial for a bit. Can anyone point me towards a thread with no useful content whatsoever?Hmm. I need to include something relevant to the thread, so here goes - fold preflop.