Recent Circuit Show With Boyd

Here's how you go deep in MTTs: you take every edge you can get, and you accumulate a lot of chips.
Heres how you go out quick- call off all of your chips with 5-5. Why do you think they call it PUSHING small edges? You are the aggressor- you are using the combination of the cards you hold and position to put your opponenet to a decision. To Basecomb, Q-Q is a call, I agree.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres how you go out quick- call off all of your chips with 5-5. Why do you think they call it PUSHING small edges? You are the aggressor- you are using the combination of the cards you hold to put your opponenet to a decision. To Basecomb, Q-Q is a call, I agree.
So 56% is enough of an edge, but 51% is not...why is that? What math did you use to come to that conclusion? And why is it that Greg Raymer and Paul Phillips will take any edge early on but you won't?
The :club: was to your statement that you wouldn't do it now, but maybe after you had played the ME a few times, which doesn't make any sense.
oh that I just meant that after being pro for a number of years the risk may not seem as big as it would to play right now.
So 56% is enough of an edge, but 51% is not...why is that? What math did you use to come to that conclusion? And why is it that Greg Raymer and Paul Phillips will take any edge early on but you won't?
Q-Q vs. A-K I have to call-I can look myself in the mirror and go, I had queens, what can you do? 5-5 vs. anything, not so much so. I could conceivably raise 5-5 with position, but never call off all of my chips with it. If you can't see why, I can't help you- hell, I don't want to!! Please, by all means play like that!! I need you to help me win.

The point of the question that you cant rebuy in the ME.I mean in a cash game they would commint AK against QJ every time, if they get shafted then they can just buy back in.In the ME you cant buy back in so they would avoid going all in in that situation unless short stacked, the edge is too small.Dont get me wong, they would make the call if they had a big stack, or if the other person was on a short stack and they could afford the loss. The point is when you cant rebuy you want to avoid commiting all of your stack unless you have a big edge. Almost all of the big pros will try to avoid big conflicts at the start of the ME.Remember a better situation is not just in % chance of winning the hand, chip stacks come into it.Examples:2 players all in with 10k each AK Vs QJ is not a great situation at the start of the ME.Player 1 with 10k and QJVsPlayer 2 with 30k and AKis a great situation, becase even if you lose you should be in good shapeI think you must be a little new to tourny poker if you think the chance of winning the hand is the only important factor here, the amount of chips you will have left if you lose also needs massive consideration.Take this into condsideration:you have 9 people left in a tourney, final table is 8 and pay rate goes up by 3x for making it. You are chip leader with 1.5m chips blinds are 20k-40k and average stack is around 600k (no anties in example)Short stack goes all in with AK under the gun for 60k and your on the button with 7-2. Do you call? Here i am not to unhappy with calling, assuming the BB folds its costs you 60k to win 160k, you are only a 63%-37% dog, 60k is not a big loss to you, if you double up the other guy he is still short stacked and it gives you a solid chance of knocking out an opponent. Although this example is not to realistic it does give you an idea of how chip stacks come into consideration.

Q-Q vs. A-K I have to call-I can look myself in the mirror and go, I had queens, what can you do? 5-5 vs. anything, not so much so. I could conceivably raise 5-5 with position, but never call off all of my chips with it. If you can't see why, I can't help you- hell, I don't want to!! Please, by all means play like that!! I need you to help me win.
I'm not saying you should call off all your chips with 55 against anything, I'm saying you should call off all your chips with 55 against a hand you have beat enough for calling to be +$EV.
Without even reading the article I can tell you that no way in hell is 5-5 good enough to go out on. Let's say this maniac actually exists, why do I need to take him out now, on this hand? I don't- he will offer me plenty of opportunity, and he will be gone soon, and then we can all get back to actual poker.
He'll offer you better than 51/49. But even if you assume that this one hand is indicative of what he'll do in the future, you probably wont be in a situation where you're getting in better than a 2:1 favorite. He'll usually bust before you get another chance.If everyone in the tournament is doing it repeatedly, then you should wait for overpairs or dominating hands (if they keep showing you too). Well - if everyone's doing it, you should probably just wait until everyone inevitably busts within the next 50 or so hands and easily make a final table. But that's not the situation that we're talking about. We're talking about a situation where you're so far off from the bubble that you shouldnt give any consideration to survival.
I'm not saying you should call off all your chips with 55 against anything, I'm saying you should call off all your chips with 55 against a hand you have beat enough for calling to be +$EV.
And I am saying that I fold 5-5 against an all in raise on the first hand of the ME no matter what I think my opponent has. If I am positive he has 4-4, if he shows me 4-4, I fold- I am not getting involved in an all in situation with 5-5, I don't give a **** what the math says.
And I am saying that I fold 5-5 against an all in raise on the first hand of the ME no matter what I think my opponent has. If I am positive he has 4-4, if he shows me 4-4, I fold- I am not getting involved in an all in situation with 5-5, I don't give a **** what the math says.
Okay, but that's a leak in your game. Whether you want to admit it or not.Edit: And seriously, are you ****ing kidding me? You would take QQ against AK but not 55 against 44?
so you fold AA very first hand of main even too?
AHAHAHAhaha.ha.Good idea.Because you can definitely find better spots. You're really good at the pokers.
AHAHAHAhaha.ha.Good idea.Because you can definitely find better spots. You're really good at the pokers.
i love when people from strat come over and see the rediculous ideas people have over at general forum

You guys are missing the point- I am not being literal when I say that I would fold 5-5 vs 4-4- of course I am not going to. My point is that when dude pushes, I look down at 5-5, I don't even think twice, I fold. I have 5-5, it's foldable, he just put me in for all of my chips. It's that easy. All this bullshit about " he shows me Q-J" is just that- bullshit. That wouldn't be NL Hold Em, that would be just some sort of retarded game called let's just chuck the chips in and see what happens.

You guys are missing the point- I am not being literal when I say that I would fold 5-5 vs 4-4- of course I am not going to. My point is that when dude pushes, I look down at 5-5, I don't even think twice, I fold. I have 5-5, it's foldable, he just put me in for all of my chips. It's that easy. All this bullshit about " he shows me Q-J" is just that- bullshit. That wouldn't be NL Hold Em, that would be just some sort of retarded game called let's just chuck the chips in and see what happens.
Lmao...
What about 52 offsuit?
i love when people from strat come over and see the rediculous ideas people have over at general forum
Read post below, and then think about concepts like writing for emphasis, or making a point, or how one might do so.
What the hell are you arguing for, then, anyway? Obviously this is not going to happen in real life, it's a theory question that helps explain certain concepts in NLHE tournaments. Are you now saying that you agree that you should take any edge you can find?
What about 52 offsuit?
Fold. Pointless post of the day, by the way. Good job.
What the hell are you arguing for, then, anyway? Obviously this is not going to happen in real life, it's a theory question that helps explain certain concepts in NLHE tournaments. Are you now saying that you agree that you should take any edge you can find?
Won't happen in real life, therefore completely irrelevant to real life sitautions, and you still have to fold the 5-5. Tournament theory, good theory calls for caution when calling off all of your chips, not haphazardly tossing them about like your momma. Yeah, I went your momma with it.
Won't happen in real life, therefore completely irrelevant to real life sitautions, and you still have to fold the 5-5. Tournament theory, good theory calls for caution when calling off all of your chips, not haphazardly tossing them about like your momma. Yeah, I went your momma with it.
It doesn't matter that it would never happen, it illustrates that you need to take any edge you can get in a tournament. That's good tournament theory.
It doesn't matter that it would never happen, it illustrates that you need to take any edge you can get in a tournament. That's good tournament theory.
Anything that paints a picture of something that would never happen that has the result of you doing something you would never do is ****ing retarded, and has no buisness running through my head when I am at a table. It's useless thought process that only clouds the correct play.
?
Don't worry, it's inevitable. I can see the future. I see you busting out of ALOT of tournaments very early.
Anything that paints a picture of something that would never happen that has the result of you doing something you would never do is ****ing retarded, and has no buisness running through my head when I am at a table. It's useless thought process that only clouds the correct play.
:club: Yes, of course you're right, I don't know why I didn't see it before...all theory is completely worthless. Who cares if hypothetical situations help one understand the concepts needed to succeed in a NLHE tournament, they're ****ing worthless.Again, :D
:club: Yes, of course you're right, I don't know why I didn't see it before...all theory is completely worthless. Who cares if hypothetical situations help one understand the concepts needed to succeed in a NLHE tournament, they're ****ing worthless.Again, :D
That's not a hypothetical that helps. Do you see why?
That's not a hypothetical that helps. Do you see why?
The example of calling off all your chips with 55 when the SB pushes into you on the first hand and shows QJo illustrates the concept that you should take any edge you can find early in a NLHE tournament.