Recent Circuit Show With Boyd

I only sifted through the first three pages so forgive me if this has been mentioned but our host DN has written, as well as Erik Lingren, that you would are a fool if you pass on this situation. Someone please flame and explain why they are wrong.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The example of calling off all your chips with 55 when the SB pushes into you on the first hand and shows QJo illustrates the concept that you should take any edge you can find early in a NLHE tournament.
Thats like saying that a film showing me feeding you peanut butter till you die is a good illustration of the process of how to kill you.
Btw, loismustdie, I find it hilarious that you went from arguing that the theory is wrong to arguing that the theory is stupid and doesn't matter when it became clear that you were wrong.
I don't see the difference.
Thats like saying that a film showing me feeding you peanut butter till you die is a good illustration of the process of how to kill you.
That was funny, but it was a pretty bad analogy. I'm not saying that the 55 example is an example of how to get a small edge in a NLHE tournament, I'm saying that the 55 example is an illustration of the concept that you need to take any edge you can get in a tourney.
stop arguing about that crap. look!Dutch Boyd=pro poker player= 100k br < should be
Nobody gives a **** about Dutch Boyd on this forum. Have you ever seen his blog? It's an embarrasment to pro players everywhere. He actually has a gallery of pictures of himself in various poses.
That was funny, but it was a pretty bad analogy. I'm not saying that the 55 example is an example of how to get a small edge in a NLHE tournament, I'm saying that the 55 examples is an illustration of the concept that you need to take any edge you can get in a tourney.
Pushing small edges is one concept among many that need to be employed to do well in these tourneys. I have played, literally, thousands of tourneys and very few times have I been unhappy when I folded a small pair in a 3 way pot, or say a 6-7 suited when 3 are all in front of me. Protecting your stack is ALWAYS a priority, and that requires a mindset where folding is ALWAYS an option preflop, unless you have K-K or A-A, maybe Q-Q.
Pushing small edges is one concept among many that need to be employed to do well in these tourneys. I have played, literally, thousands of tourneys and very few times have I been unhappy when I folded a small pair in a 3 way pot, or say a 6-7 suited when 3 are all in front of me. Protecting your stack is ALWAYS a priority, and that requires a mindset where folding is ALWAYS an option preflop, unless you have K-K or A-A, maybe Q-Q.
No one here is arguing that, in practice, you should be calling large all-ins with small pairs or suited connectors early in a tourney. The argument is that in order to do well in tournament poker you need to take any edge you can find, no matter how small.
And I am saying that I fold 5-5 against an all in raise on the first hand of the ME no matter what I think my opponent has. If I am positive he has 4-4, if he shows me 4-4, I fold- I am not getting involved in an all in situation with 5-5, I don't give a **** what the math says.
If you know he has 44 then your hand would have to accidentally touch the muck to fold 55. Would you fold AA vs. KK?Would you fold your ace high nut flush on the flop if someone shows you top set?Whats your screen name?
what dutch boyd has pictures of himself on him own blog? wow what a surprise. this goof ball daniel negreanu has pictures of himself too. wow what a fool http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/daniel-neg...al&cat=5&page=1
Presented way differently.
If you know he has 44 then your hand would have to accidentally touch the muck to fold 55. Would you fold AA vs. KK?Would you fold your ace high nut flush on the flop if someone shows you top set?Whats your screen name?
You must have missed the post where I had to explain to the other literal statement reader what it means to say something for emphasis. I won't do it again.
You must have missed the post where I had to explain to the other literal statement reader what it means to say something incredibly stupid, and then realize how incredibly stupid it was and pretend I wasn't serious. I won't do it again.
FYP
No one here is arguing that, in practice, you should be calling large all-ins with small pairs or suited connectors early in a tourney. The argument is that in order to do well in tournament poker you need to take any edge you can find, no matter how small.
Actually, no, it has been said quite a few times that you should race with 5-5 early in a ME, if the villian is kind enough to show you Q-J. You yourself said that quite a bit. I said that my own personal theory states that it's best to not play large pots early with hands like, say, 5-5. I really doubt that I am alone in this.
FYP
Yeah, because that is what happened. So, do you always just deal in theory, or does reality ever come in to play?
Actually, no, it has been said quite a few times that you should race with 5-5 early in a ME, if the villian is kind enough to show you Q-J. You yourself said that quite a bit. I said that my own personal theory states that it's best to not play large pots early with hands like, say, 5-5. I really doubt that I am alone in this.
Read my post again. "No one here is arguing that, in practice, you should be calling large all-ins with small pairs or suited connectors early in a tourney." In practice, no one is going to be showing you QJo. If the other guy did show me QJo, I would indeed call, as I said earlier. I also doubt you are alone in this...I'm sure plenty of fish would be happy to agree with you.
Yeah, because that is what happened. So, do you always just deal in theory, or does reality ever come in to play?
You took that FYP too literally...It was an FYP for emphasis. :club:
Read my post again. "No one here is arguing that, in practice, you should be calling large all-ins with small pairs or suited connectors early in a tourney." In practice, no one is going to be showing you QJo. If the other guy did show me QJo, I would indeed call, as I said earlier. I also doubt you are alone in this...I'm sure plenty of fish would be happy to agree with you.
In practice... this is all that matters. Period. If a guy raises your BB all in first hand of the ME, and you have 5-5, it's an easy fold. That's all that matters. This has been my point all along.
Read my post again. "No one here is arguing that, in practice, you should be calling large all-ins with small pairs or suited connectors early in a tourney." In practice, no one is going to be showing you QJo. If the other guy did show me QJo, I would indeed call, as I said earlier. I also doubt you are alone in this...I'm sure plenty of fish would be happy to agree with you.You took that FYP too literally...It was an FYP for emphasis. :club:
You are going to need to kick it up a notch. I don't speak tard. Well, except in the religous forum.
In practice... this is all that matters. Period. If a guy raises your BB all in first hand of the ME, and you have 5-5, it's an easy fold. That's all that matters. This has been my point all along.
Well, in that case, your point is a complete non sequitur to the argument that we were having before you stepped in. Namely, that taking any edge you can find is proper tournament play. As I said before, no one is arguing that if another players pushes all-in on the first hand of the ME, that you should call with 55.
You are going to need to kick it up a notch. I don't speak tard. Well, except in the religous forum.
It's remarkable how quickly you descended from wrong to stupid.
at a table full of donkey's there is no way i would call off on a coinflip. at a table full of 4K/8K players i'll take every conflip i can get.
Finally, after pages and pages, somebody says something lucid.
Finally, after pages and pages, somebody says something lucid.
Sweet, someone new to argue with. Perhaps you would care to point out the flaw in Matros' article?
Sweet, someone new to argue with. Perhaps you would care to point out the flaw in Matros' article?
Well, ladies and gentleman, I'm off to get some sleep now. Here's hoping I wake up to some brilliant and insightful posts in this thread. :club:

Couldn't resist coming back to check on this thread, as well as Chip Reese's status in the H.O.R.S.E. tourney (hey, I have a bet riding on him :club: )

Does your name have anything to do with Crimethinc.?
No, it's a reference to the book 1984.

My Final Thoughts:It seems like the 2 argruements presented in this discussion is the following:A.) You call, you have an edge, you take it, you make money in the long run but you risk your tournament life in the main event on the very first hand. If you lose you are embarrased but you dont care. You came here to make money.B.) You fold. You live on for however long luck will take you. Because luck has a very large part of how long you will last. Skill is only a small % and you just gave up your 60/40 edge. You enjoy the sights and players. You realize that you play this event just for the experience, because obviously you aren't here to make money.Goodnight

I think we are all missing the point of the Matros article.Its the 1st hand of the ME and it folds roundto the SB who moves in for 200BBs in an attemptto steal1BB!!! He then is stupid enough to expose his cards to you.In this situation I fold even tho im 53.8% to win reckoning ill find a better chance to take this muppets money.

I think we are all missing the point of the Matros article.Its the 1st hand of the ME and it folds roundto the SB who moves in for 200BBs in an attemptto steal1BB!!! He then is stupid enough to expose his cards to you.In this situation I fold even tho im 53.8% to win reckoning ill find a better chance to take this muppets money.
No, you are missing the point of the Matros article.Loismustdie - you have said that if the guy pushes and shows AK you would call with QQ but not 55. Why? What is the difference? Is 56% good enough but 54% not?It seems that you can only handle the prospect of busting with a 'respectable' hand. 55 is trash and should be folded, QQ is a premium hand and you should call. The actual hands do not matter, just the equity.

Stopped reading this thread after 5 pages, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...I'd fold the AK, not because of pot-odds, or the fact that its the first hand in a week-long tournament; but because I wouldn't want to be the donk on TV that busts in the first hand without having AA. There's a tough one to live down.