Ak - 5 Players Left

Sorry this is from memory.5 players left 10 man STT.I have about 4k, UTG has about 4K. Other three short betwen 1k-1.7K. Blinds 50-100.UTG raises to 350 I'm in on the button with A :club: K :D I consider a reraise but since he is the only stack who can take me out I just call to see if the flop is favorable. The flop is 8 :D 5 :) 3 :D He bets pot 850. What should I do?One more note he played alot of hands early but had slowed down recently as blinds increased. Not real loose but not real tight either.

Sorry this is from memory.5 players left 10 man STT.I have about 4k, UTG has about 4K. Other three short betwen 1k-1.7K. Blinds 50-100.UTG raises to 350 I'm in on the button with A :club: K :D I consider a reraise but since he is the only stack who can take me out I just call to see if the flop is favorable. The flop is 8 :D 5 :) 3 :D He bets pot 850. What should I do?One more note he played alot of hands early but had slowed down recently as blinds increased. Not real loose but not real tight either.
Fold flop.Since both of you guys are the big chip stacks neither of you want to tangle with each other. What you probably could've done is re-raise him preflop to find out where you stand and to let him know that you also have a big hand. Either he'll fold preflop or he'll push letting you know he has a big pair. His bet on the flop could either be a continuation bet or a sign that he has a big pair, either way I'd probably fold the flop and not invest any more chips right now.

Fold - in a SNG, you are trying to make the money. He is not giving you the correct pot odds to draw.You probably have some fold equity if you jam but you'd be gambling that he has a weaker ace or something. Anything that beats you is probably calling a jam.

I wouldn't have limped pre-flop.
I didn't limp. He was first to act.
Push or fold the flop.
That is sort of the question.

I guess there is one more option of just calling the bet.If an Ace King or Diamond doesn't hit then I can fold. But it sucks not getting to see the river with 2 overs and a flush. Plus I will then be back closer to the pack at about 2750.The advantages of pushing are fold equity tho small, getting to see all the cards and if I make the hand then I have a great chance of getting first place.The advangtages of folding have already been stated above.

Fold - in a SNG, you are trying to make the money. He is not giving you the correct pot odds to draw.You probably have some fold equity if you jam but you'd be gambling that he has a weaker ace or something. Anything that beats you is probably calling a jam.
assuming you do smooth call preflop...as long as youre not against pocket aces or kings arent you a favorite hear after this flop?
assuming you do smooth call preflop...as long as youre not against pocket aces or kings arent you a favorite hear after this flop?
Yes if they don't have aces or kings I am about 53-58% favorite or something like that. So I guess the reason for folding is that my odds of making the final three are much better than essentially 50-50 if I fold since I have a good chip position.Is this right the right reasoning for folding?
15 outs twice assuming no AA/KK/set so you are correctIf this was a regular MTT, then it'd be a clear push. However in a SNG, it comes down to making the money and we either take a commanding chip lead or bust.From reading posts on SNG's - it's been drilled into me that making the money is the top priority at which point you can then play for the higher positions. My gut says that in this situation, folding is better than pushing but I'd like to see the equities if someone can figure it out.
Yes if they don't have aces or kings I am about 53-58% favorite or something like that. So I guess the reason for folding is that my odds of making the final three are much better than essentially 50-50 if I fold since I have a good chip position.Is this right the right reasoning for folding?
eh. i assume you are right. this is why i stopped playing STTs... i cant stomach folding when i think i am ahead.

You gotta ask yourself one question.."Do ya feel lucky? Punk..well, DO YA?" You can't flat call, and I have a feeling any type of raise is going to elicit a push from said UTG player. Fold, or push.

I would push. You have some amount of fold equity, and it's unlikely that he has better than a pair of queens. That gives you 15 outs twice. Even if he has AA you have 9 outs.Edit: I see that has already been said. I still think it's a push though. I would estimate that villain folds this 25% of the time. He could easily have AK, 66, etc and make the laydown.

given stacks and assuming 3 pay 20/30/50%.I call here.And fold any non A/K / :club: turn, assuming he bets.given your 15 outs (hopefully), I'd say the implied odds are there.I'd go broke if an A/K hits, if need be.If your stack was low or much higher, I'd push the flop.********* read replies **************given stacks and assuming 3 pay 20/30/50%.I call here.And fold any non A/K / :D turn, assuming he bets.given your 15 outs, I'd say the implied odds are there.I'd go broke if an A/K hits, if need be.If your stack was low or much higher, I'd push the flop.********* read replies **************After reading replies..Yeah, I'm not one to suggest calling here usually.But we likely have 15 outs, and are getting 2:1 now.Our chip pos won't suck if we fold turn.

After reading replies..Yeah, I'm not one to suggest calling here usually.But we likely have 15 outs, and are getting 2:1 now.Are chip pos won't suck if we fold turn.
I don't like calling this at all. It gives us zero chance of winning the pot on the flop, and minimizes our chances of improving. We also can't assume that villain will pay us off if an A, K, or diamond hits on the turn.
I don't like calling this at all. It gives us zero chance of winning the pot on the flop, and minimizes our chances of improving. We also can't assume that villain will pay us off if an A, K, or diamond hits on the turn.
we hardly need to be paid off much more.We're about 2:1 to hit the turn.

So fold, call and fold unimproved or push are all equally good?Seems there are good rationals for each move.I guess it just comes down to WWDD?

So fold, call and fold unimproved or push are all equally good?Seems there are good rationals for each move.I guess it just comes down to WWDD?
I think a case can be made for pushing or calling (Actuary won me over a little, but I still like the push). I don't see how folding is a good option here.
I think a case can be made for pushing or calling (Actuary won me over a little, but I still like the push). I don't see how folding is a good option here.
Yeah, didn't notice at first that you had the nut flush draw, so I would more than likely call to at least see the turn. If you guys were even and you either had a bigger stack or a smaller stack then I'd push, but given your stack and his, I prefer to call to see the turn.

Well I guess we have covered all the bases now.Not that the results matter particularly but in case you were wondering...I pushed in and he called with jacks.The board bricked out and I lost (I actually had him covered by 50 but went out next hand). I just wasn't sure if I had played it right especially since I lost :club: Good to know I made a reasonable play even if I did lose. Thanks for the input. B)

Well I guess we have covered all the bases now.Not that the results matter particularly but in case you were wondering...I pushed in and he called with jacks.The board bricked out and I lost (I actually had him covered by 50 but went out next hand). I just wasn't sure if I had played it right especially since I lost :club: Good to know I made a reasonable play even if I did lose. Thanks for the input. B)
According to Cardplayer (and assuming villain doesn't have the J of diamonds), you're 55% to win on the flop. Unfortunate for you that he had a strong overpair since there's pretty much no way he's folding that in a game like this, but you were still favored when the chips went in.