What Dd You Think Makes Dn Feel Worse?

I think he feels worse playing golf poorly. I used to be addicted to golf before I was addicted to poker. Like Dn, I used to and still bet on golf (for much smaller stakes obviously). Man, I've played in the snow, brutal rain storms where my underwear was soaked and during heat warnings. Nothing was more frustrating to me than a bad round of golf. After hitting a few bad shots, my anger would go through the roof. It wasn't about the money because it was trivial compared to what I can lose in a day in poker now. It was just the golf frustrating me. If I make a -ev play or get dealt a bad beat I don't nearly feel as bad.

Watch Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, Doyle Brunson, or myself at the poker table and you'll see guys that deal with bad beats very well. Get that same group out on the golf course and all of a sudden everyone is throwing clubs, kicking their carts, and complaining that they aren't getting a fair match... lol.

This is why I smoke cigars on the golf course, no matter how bad I'm playing, I'm still not at work, outside, and enjoying a good smoke.They say the true measure of a man comes out on the golf course. Apperently I am a slice

The day I quit getting mad at golf. 5 years ago.I pushed a drive into the desert, in a round that had sub 80 potential. I decided to play it and found it at the base of a creasote bush. With no way to advance the ball I decide to 7-iron punch just out enough to get it back in the fairway and salvage the hole.I reared back and stuck the club into the rocks, and advanced the ball approximately 14 inches, taking another stroke, and wedging the ball now hopelessly deep into the bush.In that instant, in a fit of blinding anger, I took a full back swing and blasted the club as hard as I could into that bush, full throttle.What I didn't know was that there was, in the very middle of that bush, a support post of 1/2-inch steel rebar. The hosel of the club met that post full on, snapping the 7 iron head clean off and sending it out into the fairway at mach 5.When I looked up I saw the other twosome in our group about 50 yards out in the fairway, on the ground. They hit the deck when that club head shot into their cart seats and cut the back of the passenger side seat back fabric.They immediately packed up their stuff and abandoned the round right there. My partner filled my head with so much grief that we also quit the round. The Golf course made me pay for the cart repair and told me never to go back.I was completely humiliated and embarassed beyond belief. I appologized profusely and even offered to pay for our guests round (they told me to go F myself).Not the lowest point in my life but pretty close.Needless to say, I never have thrown a club or gotten that mad since. Ever. I could have killed those guys. So stupid.I have since been forgiven by the boys, and we even laugh about it now... but man. Just terrible.So I totally know what Daniel means about having complete control in most of your life....until you hit the golf course! The game can make you just lose your mind! Forever cured of golf rage,Nutz :club:

So nutz, after the guys left did you break 80?I was playing at a world famous course, hosted the skins game for 3 years etc. Missed a 2 foot putt and took a swipe with my putter at the ball, not really hard just firm, and took about a 10 inch square layer of turf out right next to the hole. The greens were so weak they just flaked of like a piece of skin. That is the worst I ever reacted to a bad shot. Oh and when I strangled the caddy for misreading my putt, but that was not an over reaction. We were tied up going into 17 and he told me left edge, when it was a full ball left. Idiot.

Golf is another world.Two old guys (Greg & Jim are in their 80's) are playing golf one sunny day.Greg has teed off on the 10th hole and Jim is getting ready to tee off, when suddenly, Jim spots a funeral procession winding down the road beside the Golf Course.Jim puts down his driver, and takes his golfing cap off his head, in respect.After the cortege has passed, he flips his cap back on, sets up his ball, and drives it down the fairway.Now Greg knows Jim very well (friends for decades) and is shocked. he says, "Jim, that was a amazing display of respect. I never knew you were such a sensitive guy!"As Jim is putting his club in his bag, he turns to his friend, and says:"Well, I was married to her for 40 years, it is the least I could do."

Watch Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, Doyle Brunson, or myself at the poker table and you'll see guys that deal with bad beats very well. Get that same group out on the golf course and all of a sudden everyone is throwing clubs, kicking their carts, and complaining that they aren't getting a fair match... lol.
My advice is to let them keep throwing the clubs, kicking the cart, etc. And laugh your butt off all the way to the bank.As was once said by a legend of golf..."golf is a sport played between 4 inches of property...the space betwen your ears". One bad shot does not make or break a round, but replaying that one bad shot in your head does.I suggest you mentally play for a bogey every hole...You'll be surprised how much easier the round gets.Good luck.

It's almost (and I say almost very loosely) always your fault when you play bad at golf, sometimes you are just unlucky in poker.I can safely say I've broken only one club, but it was my fav 7 iron :club: I make sure to get cheap putters so it doesn't cost me much when they eventually get bent in half.

The day I quit getting mad at golf. 5 years ago.I pushed a drive into the desert, in a round that had sub 80 potential. I decided to play it and found it at the base of a creasote bush. With no way to advance the ball I decide to 7-iron punch just out enough to get it back in the fairway and salvage the hole.I reared back and stuck the club into the rocks, and advanced the ball approximately 14 inches, taking another stroke, and wedging the ball now hopelessly deep into the bush.In that instant, in a fit of blinding anger, I took a full back swing and blasted the club as hard as I could into that bush, full throttle.What I didn't know was that there was, in the very middle of that bush, a support post of 1/2-inch steel rebar. The hosel of the club met that post full on, snapping the 7 iron head clean off and sending it out into the fairway at mach 5.When I looked up I saw the other twosome in our group about 50 yards out in the fairway, on the ground. They hit the deck when that club head shot into their cart seats and cut the back of the passenger side seat back fabric.They immediately packed up their stuff and abandoned the round right there. My partner filled my head with so much grief that we also quit the round. The Golf course made me pay for the cart repair and told me never to go back.I was completely humiliated and embarassed beyond belief. I appologized profusely and even offered to pay for our guests round (they told me to go F myself).Not the lowest point in my life but pretty close.Needless to say, I never have thrown a club or gotten that mad since. Ever. I could have killed those guys. So stupid.I have since been forgiven by the boys, and we even laugh about it now... but man. Just terrible.So I totally know what Daniel means about having complete control in most of your life....until you hit the golf course! The game can make you just lose your mind! Forever cured of golf rage,Nutz :club:
lol thanks for the laught !i almost wrapped my big bertha around a tree...then though better of itgolf can be very frustrating.The reason we keep coming back is because every once in a while we hit a shot that would impress Tiger Woods. It feels so good hitting a perfect shot, that it makes up for all the shanks,,,duffs,,slice..fades just when we didn't need them!
lol thanks for the laught !i almost wrapped my big bertha around a tree...then though better of itgolf can be very frustrating.The reason we keep coming back is because every once in a while we hit a shot that would impress Tiger Woods. It feels so good hitting a perfect shot, that it makes up for all the shanks,,,duffs,,slice..fades just when we didn't need them!
Game makes ya kinda nutty sometimes, don't it? Daniel, you ever get back to even with the boys?
That's why I just can't get into golf, no matter how many times I play. I hate life after 9 holes. DN, you think you'd play as much if no one would gamble with you on the course?
Side note: if you are playing for money it's way easier to get under someones skin at golf than it is in poker, course you don't sound like too good of a player yet so they may have the advantage on you in this department. I play a friend of mine for money both skins and stroke, KP's, sandies, birdies and eagles. A bit of selective commentary is a huge edge in golf.