Slightly Irresponsible!

Before I say anything I want to make clear I like you Daniel and you seem like a really genuine guy.However, I think it's irresponsible to brag about you and your friends achieving success in life without finishing high school. It's hard enough to get kids to work hard on their education as it is and they are more likely to look up to celebrities as role models than authority figures that tell them to try and get a good education.Well done to you for achieving in life without an education but the reality is that people have more chance in leading a successful life with an education so it's probably better that celebrities aren't bragging in public about not finishing high school.

you do know that most actors and succesful buisnessmen (and women) never finished school? Kerry Packer (australias richest man with around 7.2 billion AU) had dyslecsia and never finished school. neither did richard branson

you do know that most actors and succesful buisnessmen (and women) never finished school? Kerry Packer (australias richest man with around 7.2 billion AU) had dyslecsia and never finished school. neither did richard branson
For every 1 person who has had success without finishing school there's probably 100,000 who are in low paid jobs, struggling with unemplyment, living a life of crime, etc, etc. Plus I don't think it's true that "most" actors never finished school. Especially if you mean high school which was what DN was talking about.Anyway, my point is that even if kids don't use an education for going to college or getting top jobs, they still benefit from participating in school and showing some respect for the system. Celebrities who can easily influence kids should not be going about bragging that they didn't finish school and they "beat the system". It sends the wrong messages out IMO. While the system is often far from perfect and fails a lot of people, it is supposed to, and does in most cases, help people and should not be seen as an enemy that should be "beat".A final point I want to make is that a lot of people who didn't do well in school back in the 60s/70s/80s or whatever did so at a different time. I can't speak for the US but here in the UK there's more of a need to get a good education now as many of the roads to employment have been closed off due to deindustrialization, many of the traditional industries have closed down now. This must have happened to some extent in America as well.
He is not rich anymore.
Youre mistaken, kid. I think you'll find that a large number of CEO's and Executive Mgmt has in fact graduated from a college or university and many from a graduate program too. If youre talking about private business type people, well my argument there is that these people's ambition is borne from a lack of options, for the most part. They realize that there aren't many possibilities for them to be "successful" so they must endeavor to make some worthwhile business. Most of these people do not succeed. And Actors? What do they need school for? Last I heard, they're just handing out TV shows to anyone who comes to Hollywood. Being a working actor is as easy as waking up in the morning. (Read the sarcasm please)The fact is that an overwhelming number of HS dropouts are relegated to menial labor jobs and generally void of oppurtunity throughout their lives. DN is obviously the exception, not the standard.Nothing against these people, but these are the facts and they are indisputable. I guess my point is dont put your eggs in one basket: drop outta school, buy a lottery ticket, go to Hollywood, and play online poker.

dude, i believe your intent is sincere, but I think you are way over reacting.Daniel is not condoning not going to high school. This is his PERSONAL blog about HIS life. He happens to be a very fortunate man that has a skill with poker and has been able to make very nice living doing what he loves. Yes he is probably 1 in 100,000.Nowhere has he said or recommended for anyone to quit school and TP/MM. Everyone knows the conventional path of education/college/degree/job. The conventional path is not for everyone. The fact is being a 'celebrity' always has you in the spotlight and all your moves/words/decisions are scrutinized to every detail and it's ashame you feel the need to continue such practices. Daniel is being cool enough to share his life experiences with us and you feel the need to come down on him for saying he didnt finish high school and still became successful. There are always going to be exceptions, always going to be the people who make alot of money though unconventional means. I dont know if you are a parent or not, but if you are really concerned maybe you should stop worrying about Daniel's influence on the masses going to make everyone think they can quit high school and be a professional poker player and make millions; and make sure as a parent you explain to your children reality, choice, consequences, etc. I hope none of this came off as condescending or rude cause that was not my intent.

CU I think we have a problem.... :club:
dude, i believe your intent is sincere, but I think you are way over reacting.Daniel is not condoning not going to high school. This is his PERSONAL blog about HIS life. He happens to be a very fortunate man that has a skill with poker and has been able to make very nice living doing what he loves. Yes he is probably 1 in 100,000.Nowhere has he said or recommended for anyone to quit school and TP/MM. Everyone knows the conventional path of education/college/degree/job. The conventional path is not for everyone. The fact is being a 'celebrity' always has you in the spotlight and all your moves/words/decisions are scrutinized to every detail and it's ashame you feel the need to continue such practices. Daniel is being cool enough to share his life experiences with us and you feel the need to come down on him for saying he didnt finish high school and still became successful. There are always going to be exceptions, always going to be the people who make alot of money though unconventional means. I dont know if you are a parent or not, but if you are really concerned maybe you should stop worrying about Daniel's influence on the masses going to make everyone think they can quit high school and be a professional poker player and make millions; and make sure as a parent you explain to your children reality, choice, consequences, etc. I hope none of this came off as condescending or rude cause that was not my intent.
I'm not putting him down because he's a celebrity and I'm glad he shares his life experiences with us in his blog. I also did start off by saying I like him and he seems a very genuine person. I don't want this to look like I was just having a go at him for the sake of it. I just think it sends the wrong message to kids when people brag about "beating the system" like DN did. One thing I will say about being a celebrity and being scrutinized though is that you are definitely more open to it and it's justified. What a celebrity does or says carries more weight that the average person so they have to be careful, and I'm not saying this something DN does all the time or anything. However, IMO he has on this occasion. Being scrutinized more than the average person is a price of fame.

Like the majority of posters said, I don't think he's necessarily bragging about not finishing high school. When I read the blog I didn't come to any conclusion that he thinks it's "cool" to not finish school and go for the gold. Most of us know that in order to be successful, we need to get an education and a type of degree. However, there's always going to be those who make it in life without finishing school, but they also put in a lot of work. Both of my parents didn't finish school and they still do well in a 6-figure career. But I don't look at them and think that I can do the same, that's why I went to college and got a degree.OP - I understand that you weren't trying to flame him or anything, just saying that his blog didn't come off to me the same way it did to you.

High School, Shmi-School! Gradduatng High schol meens nothin. Most just shuve you through and out you go. Thair is testi now to get oubt but that nver usedd to be the kase. Our Hih Sckool was a pjoke. Butt I am sukksessfil now!Point if you are a succeessfil type you will make it regurdless of Hih Sckool. You eitder have bit inside of you or no. Hih Sckool will not make you. I have nevr heard any 1 EVER say "oh wow, I am so happy or so sukcessful and I owe it all to my Hih Sckool!". Pjoke!! :club: Daniel, more power to ya bro. You and Lori should try to get over to Asheville while there in N.C. Incredible. PEACE!

I have nevr heard any 1 EVER say "oh wow, I am so happy or so sukcessful and I owe it all to my Hih Sckool!". Pjoke!!
high school is more of a social gathering so you can become a people person and maybe learn a thing or two. I only went because it's a requirement since I wanted to go to college. The only thing I can remember that I learned from HS is how to stall a hacky sack on the back of my neck and then kick it with my heel.

I dont post on here much, but after reading his latest blog entry, I wanted to start a thread about this exact topic, and was not surprised in the least bit that someone already did.Daniel, its almost embarrassing to read about what you said about you and your friends not finishing high school. Are you attempting to brag about it, or something? Seriously, what is the point of bringing up the fact that you and your friends are "living the dream" without finishing high school. Honestly. Being a high school graduate (it sounds like an accomplishment after reading your blog entry) and a senior in college at the University of Iowa, it angers me somewhat, and im sure others, to read about your thoughts of you and your friends not graduating. There are millions of kids just like me, struggling with debts, student loans, and very, very tough classes trying to get our degree so we can at least have a chance to be successful in life. My parents had to work their asses off to come from the ground up to be successful and raise a family. What are you trying to imply? That its cool to be a professional gambler without an education? That you dont need a college degree, or in you and your friends' cases, even a high school degree to be successful in life? In all seriousness, what was the point of bringing up the point of you and your friends not completing high school?Ive always respected you Daniel, enjoyed reading your blogs (whether i agreed or disagreed with your opinions), keeping up with your tournament success and everything you have accomplished, but this last blog really has really changed my opinion of you.

What are you trying to imply? That its cool to be a professional gambler without an education?
Sounds pretty cool to me.I think you guys are taking this way out of hand. Just like anyone else's, it's a blog about his life. If you don't like it, then don't read it. Since he didn't go to college or finish high school, I'm sure he made up for it by busting his *** to become the best player he could be. It's not like he just got lucky one day and won the lottery, he earned his finances and his respect. If people are dumb enough to read his blog and instantly think they're gonna drop out of school and TP/MM then they're in for a rude awakening.
Sounds pretty cool to me. Just like anyone else's, it's a blog about his life. If you don't like it, then don't read it.
Yeah. Not finishing even high school. Sounds real cool.Also, I enjoy his blog, thats why I read it. This is the first thing in all of his blogs I have strongly disagreed with.
Yeah. Not finishing even high school. Sounds real cool.Also, I enjoy his blog, thats why I read it. This is the first thing in all of his blogs I have strongly disagreed with.
If you even read my post, I replied that it was cool to be a professional gambler without an education.

Stop interpreting every word that Daniel writes in his blog as gospel. Obviously he is not condoning NOT finishing high school he is just stating the fact that a few of his friends and himself have succeeded without finishing high school...thats it. The people on this forum have followed Daniels blog since its inception and the last thing we want is Daniel to not be honest and open in his blog because a few people are looking for the DaVinci Code in everything he writes. Just M/O

Trust me, I am not one of "those guys" that reply to Daniel's blogs. I dont break down everything he says in his blogs. I HAVE been reading his blogs since he started writing them. In ALL of his blogs, this is the ONLY thing I have disagreed with, and so much as to post about it.

Stop interpreting every word that Daniel writes in his blog as gospel. Obviously he is not condoning NOT finishing high school he is just stating the fact that a few of his friends and himself have succeeded without finishing high school...thats it. The people on this forum have followed Daniels blog since its inception and the last thing we want is Daniel to not be honest and open in his blog because a few people are looking for the DaVinci Code in everything he writes. Just M/O
The words I was looking for but couldn't get them out :club: +1

Of course he's happy that him and his friends have succeeded in life without finishing high school. It's usually a much bumpier road without a high school diploma.

I dont post on here much, but after reading his latest blog entry, I wanted to start a thread about this exact topic, and was not surprised in the least bit that someone already did.Daniel, its almost embarrassing to read about what you said about you and your friends not finishing high school. Are you attempting to brag about it, or something? Seriously, what is the point of bringing up the fact that you and your friends are "living the dream" without finishing high school. Honestly. Being a high school graduate (it sounds like an accomplishment after reading your blog entry) and a senior in college at the University of Iowa, it angers me somewhat, and im sure others, to read about your thoughts of you and your friends not graduating. There are millions of kids just like me, struggling with debts, student loans, and very, very tough classes trying to get our degree so we can at least have a chance to be successful in life. My parents had to work their asses off to come from the ground up to be successful and raise a family. What are you trying to imply? That its cool to be a professional gambler without an education? That you dont need a college degree, or in you and your friends' cases, even a high school degree to be successful in life? In all seriousness, what was the point of bringing up the point of you and your friends not completing high school?Ive always respected you Daniel, enjoyed reading your blogs (whether i agreed or disagreed with your opinions), keeping up with your tournament success and everything you have accomplished, but this last blog really has really changed my opinion of you.
Hi.The Jerk store called.....
:club: I think everyone is looking at this from the wrong angle. All Daniel mentioned was the fact that hey, him and a few of his friends are succesful even though they never graduated high school. He did not come out and say that is the path everyone should take in life. As several people mentioned in earlier replies several of the most succesful people in the world did not finish school. On the other hand how many people with college degrees that are of no use in society can be found working at minimum wage jobs?? This is a blog page and not "Daniels rules to be succesful in life." everyone who has read the original blog and made negative comments needs to step back and rethink their though process how they came to such a conculsion. How about them Oilers Daniel?? I am originally from Strathroy, ontario and should be pulling for the 2 hometown heroes, Andy Macdonald(Ducks) and Brian Campbell(Sabres) but being canadian my heart is with the Oilers.Daniel I am as much a fantasy hockey fan as you are, if not more!!ps-I love hold'em as wellPugsly1961

This hero worship thing is starting to take over here. It's like nobody is allowed an opinion that goes against DN.Surely people are allowed an opinion in the free world and mine is that bragging about not finishing high school and "beating the system" sends the wrong message to kids. Am I not allowed this opinion??Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you disagree with me that's 100% fine with me, just don't tell people they are not allowed an opinion just because it is negative towards someone they clearly respect a LOT! Well I respect DN and like him a lot as well, I just happened to disagree with the way he talked about this one thing. I'm pretty sure DN would have a response to my criticism and I would like to hear it. However, I would be surprised if he told me I shouldn't even voice an opinion the way some people are implying here.

I had also considered starting a thread similar to this, only making it tongue-in-cheek. I think yeah, it is a little dangerous to say things like that, but in the end, people who would be influenced to make life choices based on the blog of a B-level celebrity are probably in trouble whether they finish school or not.Maybe this post can undo the damage: kids, STAY IN SCHOOL!

People should stop giving so much credit to celebrities for their influence over children. Parents should be the ones to teach their children right from wrong. Celebrities, sports stars, and gamblers are not obligated to be role models for kids - let them live their lives how they want to (inside the law). @ Noras99: Are you implying by your posts that DN didn't work hard to get where he got? "My parents had to work their asses off to come from the ground up to be successful and raise a family. What are you trying to imply? That its cool to be a professional gambler without an education? That you dont need a college degree, or in you and your friends' cases, even a high school degree to be successful in life?"There are many ways to live a life and sometimes it's actually inspiring to see someone become successful without going the conventional route. I can't believe people are actually offended by his statement.

This hero worship thing is starting to take over here. It's like nobody is allowed an opinion that goes against DN.Surely people are allowed an opinion in the free world and mine is that bragging about not finishing high school and "beating the system" sends the wrong message to kids. Am I not allowed this opinion??Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you disagree with me that's 100% fine with me, just don't tell people they are not allowed an opinion just because it is negative towards someone they clearly respect a LOT! Well I respect DN and like him a lot as well, I just happened to disagree with the way he talked about this one thing. I'm pretty sure DN would have a response to my criticism and I would like to hear it. However, I would be surprised if he told me I shouldn't even voice an opinion the way some people are implying here.
Hero worship...thats a big stretch. I think the point we are trying to make is dont take everything DN says as gospel. He was NOT saying kids should not finish High School. He was proud in the fact a few of his friends and himself have succeeded without a HS diploma....thats all. You are entitled to your opinion but dont put words in DNs mouth or take his words out of context to bash him.By the way....we are very protective of Daniel...we are FCP.