More Stuff About Nutrition

So in the last 3 years I've managed to gain (what seems like and is probably pretty close) about 50 lbs of nothing but fat.Anyway I'm the kind of person that doesn't really do anything half a$$ed. Good or bad that's the way I've always been. Some examples are: For about 10 years I may have drank more than any human should (about a 12 pack EVERY day). I'd maybe take 1 day off every 3 or 4 months. I quit all alcohol a little over 5 years ago.I started dipping (chewing tobacco) at the age of 9 and by the time I was 16 I was dipping 2 cans of Copenhagen every day. I quit that about 6 years ago. (I'm 35 now)I was drinking 10+ sodas every day. I havn't had a soda in nearly 8 years.When I quit drinking I started working out. I lost 50lbs in 6 months and did cardio and weights 6 days a week for 3-4 years. I started playing poker 3 years ago and it has ruled my life (besides family time).So I don't know if I'm really making much sense or not but I'm trying to say I have an extremely addictive personality.I've decided I'm done being a fatbody and want to get in shape again. I thought about taking (what appears to be) the easy way out and do a no carb thing. That way I could satisfy many cravings my eating dead flesh and cheese all day.Then I thought about everyone in my family has had heart attacks. So I was thinking about trying to totally change the way I eat and live my life. What are your thoughts about the right way of eating? Should I just work out a lil and try to watch what I eat? Or go all the way and just fruits n veggies. I've heard of people not eating any red meat, only having fish and chicken. Is lean red meat that bad for ya?

I don't know very much about nutrition but i'll give you my opinion.Every thing is fine in moderation. There is nothign wrong with having a small bowl of ice cream every once in a while. Just don't eat a pale a week. It sounds like you don't want to work out this time. Is that correct? My advice is to cut down on portion sizes. America's portion sizes are so much bigger now then they were in the past.

I don't know very much about nutrition but i'll give you my opinion.Every thing is fine in moderation. There is nothign wrong with having a small bowl of ice cream every once in a while. Just don't eat a pale a week. It sounds like you don't want to work out this time. Is that correct? My advice is to cut down on portion sizes. America's portion sizes are so much bigger now then they were in the past.
That's my problem, moderation.I'm pretty sure I won't be able to work out like I did then. Before I would go there after work and not be in any real hurry. Since then I've got married have 2 step kids (besides the son I already had) and have a 3 month old lil girl. So my time is much more limited. I was thinking about trying to make my next addiction not having any addictions :)My desires right now are to start eating better and hopefully gain some energy. Then hopefully become more active. We have a park across the street from my new house with a trail. Maybe I could walk that and get in better shape and gain more energy by doing that.Right now, no BS I pretty much look forward to one thing ---sleep.

I can totally relate about kind of letting yourself go and doing things addictively.Over the past year I've gained 25-30 lbs of beer and food with minimal exercise per week. One problem I've always had was food.. not really eating bad foods, but completely eating at the wrong times of day. I wouldn't eat at all when I wake up, and then I would have a big dinner, and then have some more before bed which was a killer for me. As for drinking, I could easily lose 20lbs just by stopping it all together.. I'm still young and love to party as often as possible, which is totally unhealthy, so it should seriously be a consideration for me.I've currently fixed my sleeping schedule (but I've started playing poker again, so I'm going to have to work to maintain it), and I've been eating a big breakfast in the morning, small lunch, and a good sized dinner in the evening. As for exercising, I'm getting back into my lifting and cardio programs. And drinking.... well, I'll work on that later. icon_lol.gifAnyways, I'm with you, bro.. and good luck to ya. I know how hard it can be to get back into the rhythm after letting yourself go.Take care.

You should never go on a diet to lose weight. All diets have a beginning and an end. Which means you will lose weight and gain it back once it is over. And some diets can be harmful to your health including the no carb thing. The solution that has had the best results is just beginning to live a healthier lifestyle. Which means slowly start eating healthy and becoming more active. And don't stop once u lose the weight or it'll come back.

I'm like you, man. If I want to lose weight, I have to go whole hog. I'm currently trying to fast for a week, just 'cause I've never tried it and heard it's good for you. My personal advice is to go low-calorie, replacing meals with salads, and trying to limit yourself as much as possible. I also love the Atkins Diet, but it's a slight problem when you decide you're done, because you have to replace it with healthy habits.Goodluck,Wang

I think "that guy" is right....diets will not work long term. You have to change your lifestyle to be healthier all round. Try cutting out or reducing your intake of refined foods, such as sodas, white bread and anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup. I think eating less red meat and eating more fruits and veggies is an excellent idea. Exercise....but really exercise. Get your heart rate up and sweat

You guys must have forgotten my famouse boiled-egg and cabbage diet that I wrote about a long time ago...It is the BEST diet plan out there... I've used it without fail to keep off the pounds from a few too many CoronasThe only time I ever regretted the plan was while serving on a jury. The case was thrown out after one too many jurrors complained about the "gas chamber" (I have no idea why the judge was concerned with our opinions on the death penality, as the case was about money laundering) The rap was pinned on me for some reason, I suppose from leaving egg peels in the ashtrays or something...*CAUTION*The diet may cause a minor case of intestional discomfort...try not to sneeze or cough too hard around large groups of people. AND search your buddies for black pepper shakers BEFORE entering church (after a month or two on the plan you'll know why)

well i started takin hoodia this week and I am willing to say that it has had a huge effect on me...i take an 800 mg pill in the evening and i wake up not all that hungry (today had 2 eggs (scrambled) and 3 peices of bacon for breakfast). then I take 2 800 mg pills before i head to work. those basically last the dayfor lunch i had a chopped bbq potato and couldnt finish it. dinner had a smaller dinner than usual took another pill and struggled several hrs later to eat a bowl of ice cream. so I have found that within a week I am already eating smaller portions and cuttin out the junk foodSo hoodia is my recommendation though if you try it make sure you get it from a reputable place. (gnc, vitamin world, and so forth)

So in the last 3 years I've managed to gain (what seems like and is probably pretty close) about 50 lbs of nothing but fat.Anyway I'm the kind of person that doesn't really do anything half a$$ed. Good or bad that's the way I've always been. Some examples are: For about 10 years I may have drank more than any human should (about a 12 pack EVERY day). I'd maybe take 1 day off every 3 or 4 months. I quit all alcohol a little over 5 years ago.I started dipping (chewing tobacco) at the age of 9 and by the time I was 16 I was dipping 2 cans of Copenhagen every day. I quit that about 6 years ago. (I'm 35 now)I was drinking 10+ sodas every day. I havn't had a soda in nearly 8 years.When I quit drinking I started working out. I lost 50lbs in 6 months and did cardio and weights 6 days a week for 3-4 years. I started playing poker 3 years ago and it has ruled my life (besides family time).So I don't know if I'm really making much sense or not but I'm trying to say I have an extremely addictive personality.I've decided I'm done being a fatbody and want to get in shape again. I thought about taking (what appears to be) the easy way out and do a no carb thing. That way I could satisfy many cravings my eating dead flesh and cheese all day.Then I thought about everyone in my family has had heart attacks. So I was thinking about trying to totally change the way I eat and live my life. What are your thoughts about the right way of eating? Should I just work out a lil and try to watch what I eat? Or go all the way and just fruits n veggies. I've heard of people not eating any red meat, only having fish and chicken. Is lean red meat that bad for ya?
you my friend are GOOOOONE
you my friend are GOOOOONE
Huh?Well I agree about fasting or doing something crazy and then back to normal once you lose the weight won't work.Yesterday my intake consisted of :breakfast : nothinglunch : Wendy's Madarain (SP?) chicken salad with fat free Italian dressingsnack : baby carrotsdinner : chicken (no skin), rice, and peasI had 2 cups of coffee in the morning and water for the rest of the day. Like I said initially I hope I get more energy quickly so I can at least start walking the trails.Hopefully today I'll hopefully do something similar except I brought in a diet drink for breakfast (Slim Fast).
I'm currently trying to fast for a week, just 'cause I've never tried it and heard it's good for you.
Wang, that's some buddhist nonsense. When you fast, your body goes into starvation mode and once you start eating again your body will store any calories you consume as fat. In absolutely no way is it healthy. Recipe for losing weight and keeping it off (common sense): 1.) Eat a well-balanced, low-fat diet. This means eliminating entirely or consuming very small amounts of the following: junk foods (potato chips, french fries, cookies, ice cream, most desserts, sugary drinks [if you drink regular soft drinks, you'll probably lose 10 pounds almost immediately by switching to diet sodas or better yet, drink water], no greasy fast food, etc. Red meat is high in fat and cholesterol. Chicken and fish are low in fat, high in protein. 2.) Carbs are not bad. This is a ridiculous myth. Just eat the good carbs, not the super-refined ones like sugar. Whole grains (whole wheat bread) and high fiber foods (fruits and vegetables) are great for your circulatory system and heart. 3.) The calories in alcohol are utterly useless to your body. Like sugary sodas, if you consume a lot of alcohol you will lose weight almost immediately if you lower your consumption. Research has shown consuming some alcohol in moderation to be beneficial to the heart and circulatory system. 4.) Don't miss meals. As I said above, when you don't eat for extended periods of time, your body goes into starvation mode and begins storing calories as fat instead of processing food in the typical way. Eating a lot of small meals throughout the day is best because it forces your metabolism to work constantly and you burn calories very efficiently. 5.) Drink a lot of cold water. This is good for your body in a thousand ways, but drinking cold water throughout the day actually burns calories, because it lowers the temperature of cells in your body and your body then burns calories to raise the temperature of those cells back to normal. 6.) Get some exercise. The formula is very simple. If you want to lose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume. Even walking for 30 minutes a few times per week will benefit you greatly. You don't have to be a gym rat to burn a few extra calories.

Read this online book--"burn the fat, feed the muscle"It is a great book that educates you on your body chemistry, how it burns food, fat, muscle, etc. It is best to eat several small meals (4-500 calories, 4-5 times a day). But no matter what, you should NOT skip meals--it throws your body into "survival mode"--i.e. it slows your metabolism. In addition, greater than a 500-1000 calorie difficiency per day (losing more than 2 lbs per week) will cause excessive weight loss stemming from MUSCLE depletion. On a GOOD diet, you'll lose 75% fat, 25% muscle--that can get flipped if you starve yourself. NOT A GOOD IDEA. In the end, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fat.Carbs are NOT bad--but you should eat the right kind of carbs. Regular pasta, white bread are pretty much PURE SUGAR. You need to eat wheat pasta and whole grain/wheat bread. When you eat too much white pasta, bread and other sugary products, it throws your glucose off--f-ing up your metabolism, messing with your energy levels and makes you hunger really soon.But you MUST exercise or you are going to lose a lot of muscle. You need to burn 3500 more calories than you consume to lose 1 pound. No tricks, just burn more than you eat. There are lots of places on the internet to find your basic metabolic rate--figure that out and go from there.Seriously read the book---it is great---it encourages a new lifestyle instead of just a diet. It is difficult to follow to the word, but you can modify it to fit your life and get the best possible regimen possible. It explains how each other diets work/don't work. Good luck man! You seriously need to get on the right path---with heart disease running in your family, you want to make sure you can see your kids grow up!!!!!!!EDIT--i should have read MK's post

Does anyone see anything good/bad about what I ate yesterday? Skipping breakfast wasn't good nor by design. It just happened. Today I'll have that Slim Fast and hopefully that's good.Kind of adding on to the last couple posts about your body going into starvation mode. My understanding is that's why the no carb deal works. Without carbs you're body thinks you're starving and does the same thing.I was really thinking about my own personal diary. But it would be just as easy to document this in a blog type deal. If I wanted to do that how do you start a blog?

Eat less calories than you burn. It's all about smaller portions. You can find out how much you naturally burn online through calorie calculators.PS Don't skip breakfast

Does anyone see anything good/bad about what I ate yesterday? Skipping breakfast wasn't good nor by design. It just happened. Today I'll have that Slim Fast and hopefully that's good.Kind of adding on to the last couple posts about your body going into starvation mode. My understanding is that's why the no carb deal works. Without carbs you're body thinks you're starving and does the same thing.I was really thinking about my own personal diary. But it would be just as easy to document this in a blog type deal. If I wanted to do that how do you start a blog?
Actually, sort of--it has to do with ketosis--when the liver is depleted of glucose/glycogen and your LIVER goes into starvation mode where it metabolizes certain amino acids, lactic acid, etc. to make glucose. In other words, it burns fat. But it only changes the ORDER in which your body burns energy--you still need to eat less than you're burning. Starving your liver of glycogen is different than starving your entire body. Both are unhealthy.Also--on a no-carb diet--you actually eat LESS calories (usually) especially if you're eating a lot of protein---see, when you eat regular protein (chicken, steak, etc.) about 30% of the calories are burned just in digesting the meat---there are a lot of foods that take a lot of calories to burn (some foods, like celery are net loss of calories to eat). Plus, protein keeps you full, so you eat less.Seriously--read burn the fat feed the muscle--it explains all of this (and why you shouldn't drink your meals often)--its only 40 bucks--and is +EVhttp://www.burnthefat.com/?hop=fatburn
Actually, sort of--it has to do with ketosis--when the liver is depleted of glucose/glycogen and your LIVER goes into starvation mode where it metabolizes certain amino acids, lactic acid, etc. to make glucose. In other words, it burns fat. But it only changes the ORDER in which your body burns energy--you still need to eat less than you're burning. Starving your liver of glycogen is different than starving your entire body. Both are unhealthy.Also--on a no-carb diet--you actually eat LESS calories (usually) especially if you're eating a lot of protein---see, when you eat regular protein (chicken, steak, etc.) about 30% of the calories are burned just in digesting the meat---there are a lot of foods that take a lot of calories to burn (some foods, like celery are net loss of calories to eat). Plus, protein keeps you full, so you eat less.Seriously--read burn the fat feed the muscle--it explains all of this (and why you shouldn't drink your meals often)--its only 40 bucks--and is +EVhttp://www.burnthefat.com/?hop=fatburn
Thanks, I subscribed to the newsletter. I'm going to think about buying the DL deal. First I have to wait until I get on my home comp to be able to DL it.Could you tell me a little more about this system/lifestyle?
Thanks, I subscribed to the newsletter. I'm going to think about buying the DL deal. First I have to wait until I get on my home comp to be able to DL it.Could you tell me a little more about this system/lifestyle?
It doesn't give you a program, per se--rather it teaches you a bunch of things that help you lose weight. It isn't some fad diet--it is just the science behind fat loss and muscle gain.It teaches you:-how different types of food affects your body in different ways (protein, carbs, fat)-difference between good/bad carbs, etc.-difference between good/bad fat-how different diets work, don't work-explain what causes a weight loss plateau and how to fix it-calculate your bmi-figure out what type of metabolism you have (everyone is different)-discusses types of exercising--and its affect on your body-eat multiple small meals at regular increments (and why this works)Since reading this--i'll never look at food the same way again. Definately download this--its a long book--near 350 pages.
I'm pretty sure any kind of diet pill you take is not healthy for you.
as far as anybody knows, there are no side effects to it, it is completely natural (google it if u want more info on it)but i have noticed that I dont eat as big a meals nor have the urge to snack. the pills are somewhat expensive though b/c they are one of the few things that has been shown to work

Just a lil updateI think today is day 10 and it's going great. I've drank lots of water and some of those minute maid 10 calorie raspberry or cherry limeade drinks.I've had lots of salads, grilled chicken, raisin bran cereal, and many many bananas.I'va also started walking some. I have a park right across the street that's pretty hilly. It feels like it's about 10 miles around the trail but it's probably more like 1/2 mile. So for now walking that a couple times around is good for now(maybe I'll up it this or next week).Over the weekend I had an uncle come in town. It was perfect timing. He basically said what some of you all did, it's all about changing your lifestyle. Then as a gift he gave my wife some kind of waffle maker. WTF???!!! temptation slapping you in the face there eh? Then he gave me some whole grain waffle mix with it.