Confused About The Term 'nuts'

I am new to poker and a recent hand online has me confused about the term 'the nuts'. Does it mean the best possible hand at the time, or the best possible hand taking into account the turn and river cards? I was dealt A :club: Q :D the flop was 6 :D k :D 10 :) . The turn J :) (great, I had drawn an A high straight). On analysis of the hand with Poker Office, from this point on the program says I have the nuts. The River was Q :) . PO still says that my straight is the nuts but clearly a club flush could beat me. This became even clearer to me when my opponent showed 6 :) k :) . So is the program faulty or do I misunderstand the term?Cheers

You can also refer to something like holding the nut flush or nut straight, even when those aren't the current nuts on the board, ie, holding the ace-high flush when the board is paired.

I am new to poker and a recent hand online has me confused about the term 'the nuts'. Does it mean the best possible hand at the time, or the best possible hand taking into account the turn and river cards? I was dealt A :) Q :) the flop was 6 :) k :) 10 :) . The turn J :) (great, I had drawn an A high straight). On analysis of the hand with Poker Office, from this point on the program says I have the nuts. The River was Q :) . PO still says that my straight is the nuts but clearly a club flush could beat me. This became even clearer to me when my opponent showed 6 :) k :) . So is the program faulty or do I misunderstand the term?Cheers
:club::D:D:D:):)

The Nuts is the best possible hand at any given time, apart from hidden quads or hidden straight flushes. Remember reading about that somewhere eg. the nuts on a board of:K66J4 is pocket kings, not pocket 6sI read it concerning Omaha, not hold em if that makes any differenceAnyone know if that is right ?And nut flush draw would beA :club: 6 :D on board of T :D Q :) 4 :D

The Nuts is the best possible hand at any given time,Remember reading about that somewhere eg. the nuts on a board of:K66J4 is pocket 6sI read it concerning Omaha, not hold em if that makes any differenceAnyone know if that is right ?And nut flush draw would beA :club: 6 :D on board of T :D Q :) 4 :D
FYP

Yeah 66 is the best hand, but, if i had KK would it be correct for me to say, I had the nuts.Also I have another stupid question. Is 3 of a kind a set only if you have a pocket pair (eg 77 on flop of A74) or is 3 of a kind, set and trips have the exact same meaning regardless ~(eg if board is A7439 amd you have 77 or if you have 67 on board of A7497)

1. Yeah 66 is the best hand, but, if i had KK would it be correct for me to say, I had the nuts.2. Also I have another stupid question. Is 3 of a kind a set only if you have a pocket pair (eg 77 on flop of A74) or is 3 of a kind, set and trips have the exact same meaning regardless ~(eg if board is A7439 amd you have 77 or if you have 67 on board of A7497)
1. NO.2. Set is when you have a PP. Trips are when two are on board.

No it would not be correct to say you had the nuts if you had KK. It would only be correct to say you had the nuts if you had 66.A set is different from trips. Trips is one in the hand two on the board. A Set is two in the hand one on the board.

No it would not be correct to say you had the nuts if you had KK. It would only be correct to say you had the nuts if you had 66.A set is different from trips. Trips is one in the hand two on the board. A Set is two in the hand one on the board.
Is there an echo in here?
You can also refer to something like holding the nut flush or nut straight, even when those aren't the current nuts on the board, ie, holding the ace-high flush when the board is paired.
Are you sure about this? I wouldn't think this is correct but wouldn't swear to it
Are you sure about this? I wouldn't think this is correct but wouldn't swear to it
It's just used in a different sense. Ie on a board of 2889T, the "nut straight" is JQ, while the "nuts" would be 88.I'm not sure on this one though. Just seems like the way most of us use it.- Zach
It's just used in a different sense. Ie on a board of 2889T, the "nut straight" is JQ, while the "nuts" would be 88.I'm not sure on this one though. Just seems like the way most of us use it.- Zach
A quick search shows that you appear to be correct. I personally don't use that term if the board is paired though. Most of the defs online seem to show that even if the board is paired, nut straight or nut flush is correct.
A quick search shows that you appear to be correct. I personally don't use that term if the board is paired though. Most of the defs online seem to show that even if the board is paired, nut straight or nut flush is correct.
Cool.