Smells Like A River Sexy

Amirillo, I think you set me off on a downswing. Meanie. This the sort of thing that happens when every set you flop is bankroll poison:Party Poker 2/4, 10-handedBackground: Villain (BB) is a very good post flop player, if a little too loose preflop (30/8 ish). Bombikins (UTG) is a bomb. He plays 100% of flops, 30% for a raise, and never slows down postflop. The rest of the table is feeding off the bomb donk, but they don't matter in this hand.Preflop: Hero is dealt 5 :) 5 :D in MP2Bombikins (UTG) calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Villain (BB) checks.Flop (6 SB): J :club: 5 :D 3 :) 2 checks, Bombikins bets, 1 call, Hero raises, 2 folds, Villain calls, Bombikins 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero caps, Villain calls, Bombikins callsI put Villain on a draw with his two calls, of which frushy is the most likely. Not a hard read, given the action and the board. Although from the BB, he could have an OESD or maybe a 2-pair draw here (5x or 3x, not Jx), but I doubt that last one, given Bombkin's propensity for encouraging capped flops. He would've led out with any J or better.Turn (9 BB): 7 :D Villain bets, Bombikins calls, Hero calls.Whatever. I'm weak. I have no reason to suspect Villain is goofing, though, as I've seen him play extremely standard postflop all session. I'm 70% certain that I have to fill up to win this after he donks the turn. With more than two opponents, or against two donks, I'm raising this for value.River (12 BB): K :) Villain checks, Bombikins bets, Hero ???Do I really want to get stuck for two bets when villain pulls off the inevitable river C/R against Bombikins? Can I call/fold to a check-raise? His river play (if I've read him correctly) is the textbook perfect way to trap my strong non-flush for 2 BBs, because it will be difficult to fold two pair or better on the end for just 1 BB in such a large pot. I want to fold now and murder the dealer, but I know that's wrong. Folding, not murdering the dealer.

Raise and fold to a Villian 3-bet. His check on the end is very strange and leads me to believe that he does NOT have a flush. Unless bomb bets literally 100% of the time when checked to the play is just too risky with a flush. Also, if that were the case why wouldn't Villian just CR the turn? He got a free look in the BB so he could have anything, after the river check I'd be putting him on some sort of freak 2 pair that hit on the turn, such as J7.

sorry for putting you on the downslide briguy. what can i say, misery loves company. :club: this hand is weird. im calling because the pots so big.i don't think villain can have a flush here. if he did, thats a really weird way to play it. is it possible he thinks the bombkins is holding something like KJ and fiugres his 2 pair just got counterfieted? he puts that together with the possible flush and decides on a safe river play?im not sure.raising is too risky imo, id call.

Raise and fold to a Villian 3-bet. His check on the end is very strange and leads me to believe that he does NOT have a flush. Unless bomb bets literally 100% of the time when checked to the play is just too risky with a flush. Also, if that were the case why wouldn't Villian just CR the turn? He got a free look in the BB so he could have anything, after the river check I'd be putting him on some sort of freak 2 pair that hit on the turn, such as J7.
If we're putting in 2bb and folding to a 3rd...why don't we just call and be ready to call again if Villain raises? I would rather take the chance of missing out on 2bb (if we raise and they both call) then facing the decision of folding to one more bb for a 20bb pot.I'm not sure if I'm making any sense...

The reason I like villain's play here is because he knows (and I know) with 100% certainty that Bombikins will bet if checked to. On any street. Despite any action on previous streets. Bombikins is that bad.

The reason I like villain's play here is because he knows (and I know) with 100% certainty that Bombikins will bet if checked to. On any street. Despite any action on previous streets. Bombikins is that bad.
Isn't it odd that Villian elected to lead the turn as opposed to check-raising then?
Isn't it odd that Villian elected to lead the turn as opposed to check-raising then?
I think he expected Bombikins to raise behind him, or me (as I should have :club:).
It's possible that he sexy's the river with less than a flush then. Especially if you just call. He's going to be pretty sure that you dont have a flush given that you didnt raise the turn.If he just rivered two pair, it's an easy sexy against bombikins.OR he might just be check/calling a jack because he figures that it's more likely that he'll pick up a bluff from bombi than it is that he will get calls from weaker hands. Plus he also figures that you will call bombikins with less than a jack, but not call him if he bets.Raising would be great here if YOU had a jack. You can often get the villain to fold a chopping hand and scoop against bombikins who will quite often have nothing.

I did lose this, to the expected flush. At the end, I saluted villain with a 'nh', because his line extracted the maximum from me after I foiled his plan to 3-bet the turn. When he checked the river, I turned around to my adoring fan (my roomie) and said "check this out...this guy's about to win two bets from me when he check-raises the river". The power of positive thought.Of course, at the time I had lost 4/4 pots with flopped sets on the session. This one made it 5/5. Perhaps that entered into my thinking. :club: I hate end-of-the-month downturns, because I've already thought about what I'm going to do with my part-time earnings, and those earnings are supposed to increase at the end of the month. :(I discounted the possibility of K5, K3, or 73. I guess those are possible, given he was in the BB, but I really don't see him calling a probable 4 flop bets with a 5-outer too often.

Raise and fold to a Villian 3-bet.
This is absolutely terrible. One of the biggest disasters you can have in poker is putting a lot of chips into the pot without getting to showdown.
This is absolutely terrible. One of the biggest disasters you can have in poker is putting a lot of chips into the pot without getting to showdown.
If he plays well post flop there is a 0% chance he check/3-bets the river with a maniac in the middle with a hand we have beat. I'm well aware of the "never fold big pots for one bet on the river" principle ala SSH, but in this case we aren't good 1 in 100 times if it comes back 3 bets to us and villian put the third in. There are rare instances where raising and folding the river is the correct play, you just have to know your opponents very well.