bonehead move?

this is definately a push or fold scenario and I personally would advocate pushing but I understand folding as well. I think that winning the blind and possibly doubling up here give you enough leverage to finish 1st or 2nd enough times to make this push correct.I just think it is much too weak to fold here with almost certainly the best hand. Your goal should be to win not 3rd. IMO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is definately a push or fold scenario and I personally would advocate pushing but I understand folding as well. I think that winning the blind and possibly doubling up here give you enough leverage to finish 1st or 2nd enough times to make this push correct.I just think it is much too weak to fold here with almost certainly the best hand. Your goal should be to win not 3rd. IMO
no, its an easy fold since there is a guy that can't even complete a round of blinds. why on earth would you gift them a third place. get the money first, then worry aobut 1st. that is what makes this thread so silly
Gus CALLED...CALLED an all in with 10 8 suited against Antonio Esfandiari's 7-7. Great "read" I guess, but downright aggressive to the Nth degree. Aggression late in the game is typically what gets you first place cash.
You can't really compare your 10+1 SnG to Gus's televised tourney with ~$1m first place money. For one, Gus is already a millionaire and isn't going to think twice about losing out on the ~ 2x buy-in money that he gains by going out on the bubble. That's obviously not the case for you since we're talking about it. Also, when Gus makes these calls, he's looking to create a table image not only for the tourney he's playing in, but for the cash games against people who see the tourney on TV and the endorsements he gets from the reputation he's built. The tourney prizes are nice, but they're not his only concern. Were you an internationally acclaimed poker player and your 10+1 SnG was being televised, I'd have no problem with your all-in.The thing is, if you really are better than your opponents, I'd think you'd rather not put all of your chips in before the flop. It leaves too much to fate. If you just complete before the flop, you add another decision (post-flop) to the hand. If you really are a better player than her, you're more likely to get away from a hand where you're beat than she is. I know you were trying to steal the blinds, and when it's appropriate to steal the blinds, all-in can be a good play. But on the bubble with the small stack about to be blinded out is no time to be trying to steal blinds unless you know you're up against players with a smaller stack.So, not that it matters to add another "I don't like your play" comment, but I'll take $20 in my pocket playing the short stack against two inferior players any day to risking that $20 on a 3-2 just to move into second place. Stick around and out-play them after you've all cashed.
Gus CALLED...CALLED an all in with 10 8 suited against Antonio Esfandiari's 7-7. Great "read" I guess, but downright aggressive to the Nth degree. Aggression late in the game is typically what gets you first place cash.
You can't really compare your 10+1 SnG to Gus's televised tourney with ~$1m first place money. For one, Gus is already a millionaire and isn't going to think twice about losing out on the ~ 2x buy-in money that he gains by going out on the bubble. That's obviously not the case for you since we're talking about it. Also, when Gus makes these calls, he's looking to create a table image not only for the tourney he's playing in, but for the cash games against people who see the tourney on TV and the endorsements he gets from the reputation he's built. The tourney prizes are nice, but they're not his only concern. Were you an internationally acclaimed poker player and your 10+1 SnG was being televised, I'd have no problem with your all-in.The thing is, if you really are better than your opponents, I'd think you'd rather not put all of your chips in before the flop. It leaves too much to fate. If you just complete before the flop, you add another decision (post-flop) to the hand. If you really are a better player than her, you're more likely to get away from a hand where you're beat than she is. I know you were trying to steal the blinds, and when it's appropriate to steal the blinds, all-in can be a good play. But on the bubble with the small stack about to be blinded out is no time to be trying to steal blinds unless you know you're up against players with a smaller stack.So, not that it matters to add another "I don't like your play" comment, but I'll take $20 in my pocket playing the short stack against two inferior players any day to risking that $20 on a 3-2 just to move into second place. Stick around and out-play them after you've all cashed.
lol, he can't respond, he got banned, I'm referring to the OP of this post
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

well, cabanaboy is bumping classic JFarrell stuff, so this also needs to be bumped. I will bump another one that he didn't write the OP, but tried his best to explain reverse implied odds(which he failed miserably at)

• 7 months later...