Gsn High Stakes Poker (rant)

Ignore me if this has been said already...but I want to kick the announcers in the ear until they bleed to death. They need to learn a very important fact:If you bet $130,000 into a $20000 pot... YOU DID NOT JUST WIN $150000! You freaking mentally retarded %^#^%*'s. Every freaking time someone overbets a pot and takes it down they make it seem like they just took down this huge profit, when in reality all they did was risk a whole lot for (often) very little. I love watching this show, but I would love for AJ and Gabe to SHUT THE HELL UP! P.S. The intro song is the most uncatchy annoying thing i've ever heard - it makes me want to stab myself to death with a plastic fork.I'm done..._4LoM_

Ignore me if this has been said already...but I want to kick the announcers in the ear until they bleed to death. They need to learn a very important fact:If you bet $130,000 into a $20000 pot... YOU DID NOT JUST WIN $150000! You freaking mentally retarded %^#^%*'s. Every freaking time someone overbets a pot and takes it down they make it seem like they just took down this huge profit, when in reality all they did was risk a whole lot for (often) very little. I love watching this show, but I would love for AJ and Gabe to SHUT THE HELL UP! P.S. The intro song is the most uncatchy annoying thing i've ever heard - it makes me want to stab myself to death with a plastic fork.I'm done..._4LoM_
Ya, but did u see when DN bet one million dollars? That was awesome.
Yeah, ok...when you put the money in the pot..its not YOURS anymore...you have to WIN to get it back....hows it going with that fork, need some help?
Actually...Yoda is right......if you bet a large amount into that small pot and it goes uncalled, you don't win that large of a pot. You win what was in the pot before that......
Actually...Yoda is right......if you bet a large amount into that small pot and it goes uncalled, you don't win that large of a pot. You win what was in the pot before that......
But still, the point could be made that during the time you put in the bet, and they think about the call its not really your money anymore..it is a wager.I'd still like to see that fork trick though...sounds interesting.
Yeah, ok...when you put the money in the pot..its not YOURS anymore...you have to WIN to get it back....hows it going with that fork, need some help?
Besides being wrong...Worst...flame...ever.
But still, the point could be made that during the time you put in the bet, and they think about the call its not really your money anymore..it is a wager.I'd still like to see that fork trick though...sounds interesting.
I think the point is is that the announcers get too excited when someone bets a large amount to win a small amount..and then the announcers just get all excited like the player made some ginormous profit when in reality..they just picked up blinds.

You're right Yoda, but since we know what it means, let's just let the donks learn it wrong. Let them think that they're good players when they bet 100 into a $15 pot.

I think the point is is that the announcers get too excited when someone bets a large amount to win a small amount..and then the announcers just get all excited like the player made some ginormous profit when in reality..they just picked up blinds.
I agree with that, it does get quite annoying. The show could have been much better in many respects.
and youve certainly been around long enough to have seen them all
Not to start a flame war, because I am certainly not interested...But I have been a member for longer then you chief :-) My stats just got lost in the forum move. So you know where to shove it...I stand by my rant. And KowboyKoop, you got the idea..that is my point exactly.

Technically, you did win the total pot at the time you take it down.But, I agree with the premise...all the shows do it in one form or another. Most put up a little box with the pot size in it that gets inflated with the last overbet, and the announcers say he just took down whatever the total is, because, like I said, that is technically correct, if misleading.Once you toss your chips in the middle they're there to be challenged by anybody left.They all seem to use the amount of the bet and never refer to the size of the bet in relation to the blinds or prior bets. If they did that, I think it would be a better learning tool and tend to make more sense. It would give more insight to how the individuals are playing. It's hard to follow on tv sometimes.

I agree, the announcing is horrible. However, I am getting sick of people having problems with 'donkeys' "betting 100 to win 15". It is possible that there isn't just one brand of poker, and while I am certainly not one the guys overbetting a pot that drastically, is it not possible that this sort of play could work for someone? And if it doesn't, why complain?The long and short of it is that poker, especially NL holdem, is a creative card game. Everyone shouldn't play the same way and frankly I'm just getting sick of hearing how poorly people played a hand because they did something out of the ordinary. There are certainly good reasons to discuss, anlalyze and critique plays, however to disregard some people's play as "wrong" or "bad" isn't helping anybody get any better. I feel that this rant may have been better off in a different thread or as its own thread, but it's a bit too late now. I figure at the very least this will show OP (Yoda? I don't remember who it was) what a real rant looks like. P.S. if you don't like the commenators, mute it or don't watch the show.

I think Kaplan is good, and has some solid credentials. He knows what he's talking about. The other guy I never heard of before, but it looks like his job is just the announcer gig, not the analyist.The shows problems are in the production, not the sound over. They need to dial in the mikes so the chip noise isn't as loud, and focus more on the players conversations.I noticed that when one of them stood up he had the little box they use for wireless mikes, usually stuck in their belt or somewhere. It needs to be fine tuned to better pick up the convo and cut out the chips.

The other guy I never heard of before, but it looks like his job is just the announcer gig, not the analyist.
The other dude used to be on E! and he did celebrity gossip. I have no idea why he is broadcasting poker.
They need to dial in the mikes so the chip noise isn't as loud, and focus more on the players conversations.
I honestly think they are doing this on purpose, but I agree it is horribly annoying. They also need to explain props a little better. Daniel yelling out "That's me!" after a flop where he hits his prop flop and also makes top pair makes it very confusing for the average veiwer who doesn't know what props is.

I agree w the original OP. It IS annoying. But I doubt it's the announcers' faults. My guess is the HSP producers very specifically told them to announce pots like that -- makes the people ohh and ahh over the size of the pots being "taken down."

It is possible that there isn't just one brand of poker, and while I am certainly not one the guys overbetting a pot that drastically, is it not possible that this sort of play could work for someone?Of course it can work. It can work against a very bad player and sometimes against a solid player who will put you on a bluff if you've shown yourself to be a good player up to that point.In cash games I often overbet on the river if I have a monster and if my opponent has shown some strength.

The other dude used to be on E! and he did celebrity gossip. I have no idea why he is broadcasting poker. I honestly think they are doing this on purpose, but I agree it is horribly annoying. They also need to explain props a little better. Daniel yelling out "That's me!" after a flop where he hits his prop flop and also makes top pair makes it very confusing for the average veiwer who doesn't know what props is.
He also used to be on Howard Stern but got canned for slapping stuttering John. So he's probably calling poker because GSN is the only channel besides some local swamp hole that will hire him. I don't think he's even played poker, except for maybe some crazy kitchen games where half the deck is wild. He's waaaay outmatched trying to announce poker with Gabe. They said on the first episode that the viewer would learn more about props during the season, so hopefully they'll devote a few minutes to it and cut a final segment where Gabe talks poker and AJ pretends to understand what is being said.