changing majors!

So in High School I found that I really enjoyed physics. I'm great at math and science, and not so hot in english and social studies. I decided to major in physics. I'm now 3/4 of the way through my first year in college and have decided that that was a bad idea. I hate integrals with a passion, and I don't feel like putting in the effort. I need something where my mathematical and scientific mind can coast through with close to 0 effort, allowing for maximum poker time. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe accounting or economics (more versatile than accounting?). Any advice from college graduates and job holders on difficulty of college program and quality of job would be greatly appreciated!

Economics is awful.....I hated that class. Had to take it in Grad. School. for MBA.I would suggest biology. I got my undergrad in Biology. The most difficult class you'll have to take is Organic Chemistry, but I actually enjoyed that class. The only down side is all the extra lab time you have to put in. good luck

are you good with computers, if so Computer science might be perfect for you. I'm not great in math(competant, but its not my forte), but it is a hard major from what I've heard. Science majors are very tedious from my friends who've had them. Accoutning might very well work too, hope this helps

So in High School I found that I really enjoyed physics. I'm great at math and science, and not so hot in english and social studies. I decided to major in physics. I'm now 3/4 of the way through my first year in college and have decided that that was a bad idea. I hate integrals with a passion, and I don't feel like putting in the effort. I need something where my mathematical and scientific mind can coast through with close to 0 effort, allowing for maximum poker time. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe accounting or economics (more versatile than accounting?). Any advice from college graduates and job holders on difficulty of college program and quality of job would be greatly appreciated!
I was in a similar boat to you ... great at math and science in high school, so I went into engineering. Bleh. I ended up getting out of it and have an Economics degree now. I always found economics classes to be fairly easy and I got to take a lot of very interesting classes (Economics of sports was probably my favorite). I love my job and with an Econ degree you can pretty much go into any business field that interests you as well as strictly jobs that use/require economics knowledge.

if you're changing majors for poker, thats pretty sad....... scratch that... really sad.a math minded person has no problem with integrals.... thats what makes them math minded.on to your questioncs is pretty good... and most people who are good card players have no problem with iti don't anyway-jay

Economics is awful.....I hated that class. Had to take it in Grad. School. for MBA.I would suggest biology. I got my undergrad in Biology. The most difficult class you'll have to take is Organic Chemistry, but I actually enjoyed that class. The only down side is all the extra lab time you have to put in. good luck
Awww cmon, economics runs this world, I know it is hard sometimes but in the end you will have a better understanding of pretty much everything. Also, to Xaston, you think that Economics is easy math? What school do you go to that economics has become easy math? As far as I know, economics majors at my school are most of the time double majoring in statistics or math (statistics in my case). Integration is a part of any kind of upper learning and is especially important in my Econometrics classes, although it is more just derivatives and matrix algebra. If you don't like integration maybe you should be a political science major or a history major.Also, I'm going to have to agree and say that if you are changing your major so that you get more poker time, you should just drop out of school because school should be your first priority. Poker may seem really cool to you right now, but it is way more important to get a good real job (not to say that being a professsional poker player isn't a job, but its probably not the best job in the world). Get a job as an investment banker, you will make way more in a much shorter period of time.
I need something where my mathematical and scientific mind can coast through with close to 0 effort, allowing for maximum poker time. Any suggestions?
If you're having trouble with integrals, you don't really have a "mathematical and scientific mind" - they're pretty much as easy as it gets in terms of university-level math. More generally, looking for a major on the basis of it being easy enough to coast through sounds like a bad plan to me. If you're really serious about wanting that, take a part-time course at a community college that will fit a one-year diploma course into two or three years. Just remember that reward gained is usually proportional to effort expended.

Hi-Changing majors is my specialty. Started out as a math major-- but didn't like the job prospects. Switched to education--maybe teach math. Then I considered computer engineering. But was working in an office-changed to accounting. Did manage to get that degree. Later I was bored, bored, bored. Ten years later, I sat back and thought about what I'd really enjoy.I'd always been interested in drugs (the legal kind!!!) Ya know, how were discovered, how they work, etc. Takes a little bit of math, a bit more science. Cool thing is, the technology is always evolving, so my mind won't get bored. I also knew that Pharmacists made good income, and in some places they are in such demand that they can negotiate to work part time.Instead of signing up for four more years of school to become a Pharmacist right away, (been down that road with the other "ideas") I decided to take a tech training program. And I love it. I may or may not go back for the full degree. But I enjoy what I'm doing right now.Just one suggestion.Don't stress too much, you'll figure out what's right for you.

Now that I re-read your post, maybe Econ isn't for you if you hate integrals. Economics doesn't require the complex math that physics or engineering do, but it does use calculcus and things along that line. If you were hating Thermodynamics (like I was) and wanted to switch, you'd find it easy, but if you are hating Integrals (integrals? sheesh, that's not even hard math ...) then you won't like any math/science related major, because they all require more than Calc I.

2 words my friend... POLITICAL SCIENCEas long as you can BS your way into caring about politics... you are setby the way where do you go?

I need something where my mathematical and scientific mind can coast through with close to 0 effort, allowing for maximum poker time. !
This is a very stupid statement. You are a moron if you are going to squander an opportunity to secure your financial future with G0d-given talent. If you are not going to apply yourself in college, don't even go. Just quit now and start your poker career.
I need something where my mathematical and scientific mind can coast through with close to 0 effort, allowing for maximum poker time. !
This is a very stupid statement. You are a moron if you are going to squander an opportunity to secure your financial future with G0d-given talent. If you are not going to apply yourself in college, don't even go. Just quit now and start your poker career.
ok first off, its not a stupid statement... regardless of the major you get your degree in, (with a few exceptions) its no real difference whether its political science, business management or basket weaving... 90% of what you need to do is learned on the job anywaysecondly, with college costs as high as they are, its not really a secure financial future right now... your best bet is actually to get a job somewhere, then take night courses while the job pays part of the tution... this way its far cheaper, it might take a lil longer but maybe not (my mom graduated 6 months before i did and we started around the same time) but its half the cost... and you are never burdened with the bill that has to be paid in 6 months...i have yet to really apply myself in college, excluding when i play poker, and i have a solid B average...
ok first off, its not a stupid statement... regardless of the major you get your degree in, (with a few exceptions) its no real difference whether its political science, business management or basket weaving... 90% of what you need to do is learned on the job anywaysecondly, with college costs as high as they are, its not really a secure financial future right now... your best bet is actually to get a job somewhere, then take night courses while the job pays part of the tution... this way its far cheaper, it might take a lil longer but maybe not (my mom graduated 6 months before i did and we started around the same time) but its half the cost... and you are never burdened with the bill that has to be paid in 6 months...i have yet to really apply myself in college, excluding when i play poker, and i have a solid B average...
90% of what you need to do is learned on the job anyway? OK, fine, but 90% of what you need to know is actually learned in college. I'm not talking supply and demand, I'm talking about learning how people think, how society works, how you can impact the world around you, etc. You will probably be twice as wise about the world by the time you finish your college career than you were by the time you finished high school.It's best to get a job somewhere then take night courses? Sure, if you want to sleep in class all day and wear down your body. Go ahead. It's not a good idea to let yourself become a slave to any certain job during your studies. You shouldn't have to have strings attached anywhere.Burdened with a bill that has to be paid in 6 months? You get YEARS to pay off college loans. And you can get them between 2-5% if you consolidate. You will not feel bogged down by interest. This isn't the same as a 17% credit card, or worse yet, 24% if you do a cash advance on your credit card. (learned that the hard way).You have yet to apply yourself in college and you have a B average? Whoopdy-freakin-do. This isn't high school, nobody cares about your GPA in the workforce. They care about what you know, and how you think, who you know...etc. I graduated with a fairly low GPA in school, but more importantly, I made a great network of friends, and I learned about what I wanted to learn about, not what I had to learn about. I also learned how to think differently, which was the biggest lesson.Good luck to the original poster.
90% of what you need to do is learned on the job anyway? OK, fine, but 90% of what you need to know is actually learned in college. I'm not talking supply and demand, I'm talking about learning how people think, how society works, how you can impact the world around you, etc. You will probably be twice as wise about the world by the time you finish your college career than you were by the time you finished high school.
ive learned more about how people think and act from TV and poker books then any class ive taken in 4 years of college...
It's best to get a job somewhere then take night courses? Sure, if you want to sleep in class all day and wear down your body. Go ahead. It's not a good idea to let yourself become a slave to any certain job during your studies. You shouldn't have to have strings attached anywhere.
please, when your 20 you can do this... hell my mom is 40 and did this... so yeah its possible
Burdened with a bill that has to be paid in 6 months? You get YEARS to pay off college loans. And you can get them between 2-5% if you consolidate. You will not feel bogged down by interest. This isn't the same as a 17% credit card, or worse yet, 24% if you do a cash advance on your credit card. (learned that the hard way).
the bill has to start being payed off in 6 months is what i meant... and yeah its still a pretty big ass bill even with no interest
You have yet to apply yourself in college and you have a B average? Whoopdy-freakin-do. This isn't high school, nobody cares about your GPA in the workforce. They care about what you know, and how you think, who you know...etc. I graduated with a fairly low GPA in school, but more importantly, I made a great network of friends, and I learned about what I wanted to learn about, not what I had to learn about. I also learned how to think differently, which was the biggest lesson.
so if nobody cares about my GPA why should anyone kill themselves to get a 4.0 if its more how you think, who you know and what i know??? hell i could have not even gone to classes and gotten a C and know exactly what i know now...

My point is it's better to get a C and retain what you learned than an A and forget what you learned.There is no way you should be learning more from playing poker than from attending university. That statement is far from being a fact. You just don't know it yet.Poker is a fun game, but do not get burned out from playing it. When you are 80 years old you're probably 10 times more likely to have regrets about playing poker than learning at college.

As a math major, I'll sign up for the "economics doesn't require much math" bandwagon. Even hahvahd has an econ track for people who don't "liek numb3r$!" At my school, econ only requires one stat course and basic calculus. There isn't a single class that has more than multivariable calculus as a prereq. Of course, my school is exceptionally lax when it comes to Econ.

My point is it's better to get a C and retain what you learned than an A and forget what you learned.
its all still up there... i retain a bunch of what i hear and learn, its why im so much smarter then just about everyone else on the planet (duly noted that i failed to understand how to use the quote button on my last post)
There is no way you should be learning more from playing poker than from attending university.  That statement is far from being a fact.  You just don't know it yet.
well its easy, i started with very little real knowledge of poker and after the 7 books ive learned a crapload of stuff about poker...
Poker is a fun game, but do not get burned out from playing it.  When you are 80 years old you're probably 10 times more likely to have regrets about playing poker than learning at college.
i dont regret anything ive done or ever will do, if im going to regret doing something whats the point of doing it? and when im 80 ill be happy if i can still play poker with even half the quickness of thought and math knowledge i have now...
As a math major, I'll sign up for the "economics doesn't require much math" bandwagon.  Even hahvahd has an econ track for people who don't "liek numb3r$!" At my school, econ only requires one stat course and basic calculus.  There isn't a single class that has more than multivariable calculus as a prereq.  Of course, my school is exceptionally lax when it comes to Econ.
Yeah, I think they might be. Some of my math requirements for economics were not that easy. In addition to that, I also took Analysis and Number Theory, which is no joke. Granted I am a economics/statistics major, but still, some of the suff gets difficult.