duke overrated? nova number 1?

In the flavor of KK's NCAA football thread.....Not that I have such strong opinions about the subject, but Nova looks good.They have a strong lineup and a convincing argument could be made that they should be number 1. Allen Ray is a bad man. Lowry can steal anything.No doubt they will have a legitimate shot of winning the Touney.Discuss.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about 'Nova being #1, though they are awfully good looking right now. However, I will say that Duke simply doesn't have enough to make it through the entire NCAA tourney. One bad shooting night by J.J. and they are toast. I'd put UConn, Gonzaga (yeah, Gonzaga...), Memphis, Nova, and Florida as my favorites as of now.

I don't know about 'Nova being #1, though they are awfully good looking right now. However, I will say that Duke simply doesn't have enough to make it through the entire NCAA tourney. One bad shooting night by J.J. and they are toast. I'd put UConn, Gonzaga (yeah, Gonzaga...), Memphis, Nova, and Florida as my favorites as of now.
Agree with most everything except Florida.
agreed on florida (at least right now), but i disagree with the zags....they fall into the same category as duke....they're not playing great basketball, they're not dominating weak opponents like they should be.
agreed on florida (at least right now), but i disagree with the zags....they fall into the same category as duke....they're not playing great basketball, they're not dominating weak opponents like they should be.
That's true...but I just think that the Morrison/Batista combo for them is going to be AWFULLY hard for any team to deal with..whereas with Duke, I really don't think Shelden Williams is that great of a player, I just think he plays off of the greatness of J.J. Morrison just seems to be on a f*cking mission, I don't know.
That's true...but I just think that the Morrison/Batista combo for them is going to be AWFULLY hard for any team to deal with..whereas with Duke, I really don't think Shelden Williams is that great of a player, I just think he plays off of the greatness of J.J. Morrison just seems to be on a f*cking mission, I don't know.
i'll be the first to say i know nothing about the zags except morrison and the scores that i see on espn.com every day, but...1 pt home win over st mary's, 4 pt home win over stanford, 1 pt road win over san diego...if gonzaga is that good, these shouldn't be that close, especially not as the season winds down.and i would LOVE to be a homer about the gators, but their inability to beat freaking south carolina this year is worrying me...i'm petrified that their cake schedule + a weak SEC will cost them come march.
agreed on florida (at least right now)
Well, when you've got one win over the RPI Top 25, the non-conference SOS is 249th and you've got 4 of your last 6 on the road, it's easy to look good--at least, right now.
so i say that i agree they're not a contender, at least not right now, and you rub their rpi in my face? thanks
Well, when you've got one win over the RPI Top 25, the non-conference SOS is 249th and you've got 4 of your last 6 on the road, it's easy to look good--at least, right now.
so i say that i agree they're not a contender, at least not right now, and you rub their rpi in my face? thanks
Word, I thought you were agreeing with Koop that they were a favorite. Didn't mean to rub their RPI in your face--girl. :club:
Word, I thought you were agreeing with Koop that they were a favorite. Didn't mean to rub their RPI in your face--girl. :club:
that's fine...while your big 10 just keeps beating each other into mediocrity and each team will struggle early in the ncaa's, the gators will be fresh after a cake SEC tourney and will be ready to go :D
that's fine...while your big 10 just keeps beating each other into mediocrity and each team will struggle early in the ncaa's, the gators will be fresh after a cake SEC tourney and will be ready to go :club:
I really hope you're not implying that a tough conference means you do worse in the NCAA's.Girl.
that's fine...while your big 10 just keeps beating each other into mediocrity and each team will struggle early in the ncaa's, the gators will be fresh after a cake SEC tourney and will be ready to go :club:
I really hope you're not implying that a tough conference means you do worse in the NCAA's.Girl.
not at alli'm implying that the big 10 is full of overrated mediocre teams that had soft nonconf schedules ;)i don't care if i'm right or not, i'm right.
that's fine...while your big 10 just keeps beating each other into mediocrity and each team will struggle early in the ncaa's, the gators will be fresh after a cake SEC tourney and will be ready to go :D
not at alli'm implying that the big 10 is full of overrated mediocre teams that had soft nonconf schedules ;)i don't care if i'm right or not, i'm right.
Wrong.But, since ya don't care, I won't argue with you. Girl. :club:
1 pt home win over st mary's, 4 pt home win over stanford, 1 pt road win over san diego...if gonzaga is that good, these shouldn't be that close, especially not as the season winds down.
But they did beat Maryland, Michigan State, and Washington and only lost by 2 to UConn. Gonzaga tends to start playing down to their competition once they enter league play because they are clearly better than their league. This hurts them come tourney time because they need to ramp it up again and that is hard to do. However, if they can get past the first weekend without being upset, I think they can do some serious damage in the tournament. Tough to pick them to win it all, but a Final Four spot should be obtainable.
Wrong.But, since ya don't care, I won't argue with you. Girl. :club:
ok, i am wrong.their conference schedule is pretty damn soft, too :D
1 pt home win over st mary's, 4 pt home win over stanford, 1 pt road win over san diego...if gonzaga is that good, these shouldn't be that close, especially not as the season winds down.
But they did beat Maryland, Michigan State, and Washington and only lost by 2 to UConn. Gonzaga tends to start playing down to their competition once they enter league play because they are clearly better than their league. This hurts them come tourney time because they need to ramp it up again and that is hard to do. However, if they can get past the first weekend without being upset, I think they can do some serious damage in the tournament. Tough to pick them to win it all, but a Final Four spot should be obtainable.
which of those wins is looking great right now? going strictly by the current coaches poll, that's 'big' wins against a team not even receiving votes, #16, and #21, respectively.anything's possible when morrison is hot, but they could easily be upset first round by a strong mid-major tourney winner if morrison has an off night. i'm not liking their final 4 chances much, to be honest.
which of those wins is looking great right now? going strictly by the current coaches poll, that's 'big' wins against a team not even receiving votes, #16, and #21, respectively.anything's possible when morrison is hot, but they could easily be upset first round by a strong mid-major tourney winner if morrison has an off night. i'm not liking their final 4 chances much, to be honest.
I agree they're not great wins, but you have to say that Michigan State and Washington are much better than St. Mary's and San Diego. My point being that close wins against inferior teams doesn't necessarily equate to losses to good teams. I did imply that an early exit could be in the makings, but they can play with anybody, so a deep run is also possible. (Hedge my bets much?)

Seeing as everyone is talking about who is going to make into the final 4, who do you think will win the championship. And which of these odds is the best. Odds from Bodog.Odds to win 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Alabama 170/1Arizona 50/1Arkansas 150/1Boston College 28/1California 40/1Charlotte 300/1Cincinnati 200/1Clemson 250/1Connecticut 2/1Creighton 300/1DePaul 250/1Duke 5/2Florida12/1Florida State 200/1George Washington 28/1Georgetown 20/1Georgia Tech 300/1Gonzaga 14/1Illinois 20/1Indiana 38/1Iowa 35/1Iowa State 100/1Kansas 35/1Kentucky 50/1Louisville 50/1LSU 30/1Marquette 150/1Maryland 80/1Memphis 5/1Miami Florida 150/1Michigan 50/1Michigan State 10/1Minnesota 350/1Mississippi State 500/1Missouri 300/1NC State 30/1Nevada 60/1North Carolina 45/1Notre Dame 300/1Ohio State 18/1Oklahoma 28/1Oklahoma State 300/1Old Dominion 300/1Oregon 200/1Pacific 250/1Pittsburgh 10/1South Carolina 350/1Stanford 100/1Syracuse 55/1Temple 250/1Tennessee 20/1Texas 15/2Texas A&M 200/1Texas Tech 250/1UAB 200/1UCLA 28/1Utah 400/1Villanova 9/1Virginia 200/1Virginia Tech 150/1Wake Forest 150/1Washington 30/1West Virginia 10/1Wisconsin 65/1Field (Any Other Team) 25/1

Gonzaga is overrated. I've seen at least 3 of their games this year (not much, but more than most I would say :club: ) and they really are having a tough time with these cupcakes they should be pounding on. That being said, I wouldnt want to play them in the NCAA's because they are one of the few teams that does have the chance to win it all, but they also have a very good chance of getting knocked out in the first round or going 1 and done. They are so hit and miss it's scary. Even moreso than Duke (referrring to Koop's take that if JJ is off 1 night they're done).I still believe UConn is the best team in the country, and that they will win the title this year. Nova just came out like gangbusters today and played an awesome game. They will do well in the NCAA's also.Duke has a great chance to win as well, IF they get the ball into Shelden Williams more and can keep him out of foul trouble. Koop you are so wrong about SW only being good because of Redick it's scary. Duke relies way too much on Redick and basically ignores SW and does not post him up enough. If they did that, then maybe Redick will be able to avoid the eventual burnout that he is destined to have in the tourney just like last year.

kers....nova at 9/1, gonzaga at 15/1 seem like the best. georgetown at 20/1 is intriguing, but in all honesty, those seem like shit odds.i picked up fla at 60/1 and i'm happy with that, but i think in vegas you can still get them at like 50/1. bodog odds seem off t ome.

I take "The Field" getting 25/1
the field there woudl have to be the worst bet in the history of sports. sure, no-name teams win from time to time, but the no-name teams are ALREADY ON THE LIST. for god's sake, ODU made the list.
kers....nova at 9/1, gonzaga at 15/1 seem like the best. georgetown at 20/1 is intriguing, but in all honesty, those seem like shit odds.i picked up fla at 60/1 and i'm happy with that, but i think in vegas you can still get them at like 50/1. bodog odds seem off t ome.
Yea I remember you talking about your Florida pick. My post was started before the odds were posted, so I wasnt referring to that.When betting on who's going to win the NCAA's you either try to find a real good bet early in the season on a team they underrate (like you did with FLA at 60-1) or you wait til right before the tournament and make a bet on it. In that case you look at which team is hot at the end of the season and also is getting good odds. In 2003 I bet on Syracuse at 15-1 and Marquette at 15-1 and both ended up making the final four, with SU winning me some dough :-)Edit: The Field bet would have to be like 500-1 to be a good bet lol
Yea I remember you talking about your Florida pick. My post was started before the odds were posted, so I wasnt referring to that.When betting on who's going to win the NCAA's you either try to find a real good bet early in the season on a team they underrate (like you did with FLA at 60-1) or you wait til right before the tournament and make a bet on it. In that case you look at which team is hot at the end of the season and also is getting good odds. In 2003 I bet on Syracuse at 15-1 and Marquette at 15-1 and both ended up making the final four, with SU winning me some dough :-)
yeah...but like i said, bodog's odds still seem off. i might be heading out tonight, want me to check some of the upper teams' odds to see what they look like?