harman's play of trip 7's

Anyway, I would have smooth called it. Even if by doing this it gives signs of having a set, Sammy would have definitely bet the turn
Do you realize how inherently contradictory that is? "She's making it painfully obvious she has a set, but he's gonna bet top pair anyway."What? You don't think facing a bet, and a raise, her cold call just screams big hand? That and she's out of position.She checks the turn, Sammy checks behind.She might value bet the river and he might call--but that's irrelevant.He might be loose and fast and likes to throw the chips around, but he's not dumb. He didn't get to where he is by overplaying TPTK like a lot of the people who are advocating smooth calling.The fact is, that pot's big. It's worth stealing. Her bet makes it look like a steal. He's either going to call her all in or put next to no more money in the pot on the turn and the river. [/b]
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else want to post how the action went on the flop? <SW>
Harmarn was the first to come into the pot by limping in the pot. Eli then made a raise to somewhere near 3k-4k. Sammy then called with AK off and Harman also called.Flop came 7 K 4 , i believe rainbowHarman checked, Eli made a near pot bet and Sammy raised around 20k more, then Harman came over the top around 100k total.

Yeah people who are saying smooth calling is best are so dumb. You're only saying that becuase Gabe Kapler said it and you see that Farha folded.If Farha called the all in everyone would be on here saying "what a play by Harman!"

Anyone else want to post how the action went on the flop?  
Harmarn was the first to come into the pot by limping in the pot. Eli then made a raise to somewhere near 3k-4k. Sammy then called with AK off and Harman also called.Flop came 7 K 4 , i believe rainbowHarman checked, Eli made a near pot bet and Sammy raised around 20k more, then Harman came over the top around 100k total.
LOL, and you even got the pre-flop action wrong :club: :wink:
Harmarn was the first to come into the pot by limping in the pot. Eli then made a raise to somewhere near 3k-4k. Sammy then called with AK off and Harman also called.Flop came 7 K 4 , i believe rainbowHarman checked, Eli made a near pot bet and Sammy raised around 20k more, then Harman came over the top around 100k total.SW
There I can be a douchebag too and make it really small and be a total fag later

Great point, Sammy is going to know she has a monster with the check anyway. So you figure the overbet might look like a steal and get called? Interesting deception. That is a good point. I guess the issue is, she checked to get action behind, now how does she maximze it. Sammy is unlikely to go any further with TPTK unless he thinks he is good, and anything she does should convince he isn't. Her overbet might have worked. I like the smooth call, not knowing what Eli has and hope he can continue. And I want Sammy to tr to catch up. But your option could have worked as well.

Harmarn was the first to come into the pot by limping in the pot. Eli then made a raise to somewhere near 3k-4k. Sammy then called with AK off and Harman also called.Flop came 7 K 4 , i believe rainbowHarman checked, Eli made a near pot bet and Sammy raised around 20k more, then Harman came over the top around 100k total.SW
There I can be a douchebag too and make it really small and be a total censored later
My mistake for thinking you were as dense as the average General Forum poster. Clearly, I was mistaken.

You know i had just walked in on the tail end of her "tanking" after farha's bet.I didn't realise she was looking at a bet and raise...i thought it was heads up with her and farha.Yea i think maybe a min reraise would have been more effective to try and sucker in some more money...but a smooth call was definately not going to work.good points.

quick questionif you have a pocket pair and you hit one on the flop/turn/river its called a set right? and if you have say AK and the flop is KKx, thats trips?edit-wooo post #500!

There I can be a douchebag too and make it really small and be a total censored laterSW
My mistake for thinking you were as dense as the average General Forum poster. Clearly, I was mistaken.
Wow you missed that one too huh. Wow i think you are the dense one. I was clearly kidding everytime.... See how dumb your theory is
oh wait you didn't even make it small. you actually didn't say sw at all. you lose i winSW
I went to high school with a kid like you. Is your name Jeff, and do you still wear that helmet and have people help you around all over the place?
Jesus you keep missing it!
Jesus you keep missing it!
No, I think it's you who's missing it. Let me help you...Shut the fuck up.If you have nothing more to add to the discussion of the hand, then don't post. Your continued attempts at "pwning" or "punking" me are retarded. You've done nothing but 'cause this thread to devolve into a typical General Forum waste of space. Now, quit it. Is that more clear? If you have anything else to say, PM me--otherwise I'm done with you.

blakheart wrote:

Isn't betting out on the flop a better move at this level? The check call or check raise line screams strength. If she had bet first, wouldn't She get more chips? Eli probably would flat call, and Sammy would have either called or maybe raised. These guys were plaing super aggressive, I think if she bets here she gets raised enough to make more money.  More fun would be to see her bet, Eli call, Sammy raise and the she flat calls. That does not scream set as much as her line did.  Thoughts?
Agreed. I think the checkraise didn't work given what we know about the hands. However, most of the time your opponents are going to miss the flop or only have a little piece of it. Sammy hit the flop and Eli had only the K to worry about given the texture of the flop. The check raise under most circumstances would give Jen the most action. But she could've won more since her opponents were strong had she used the 1/2 pot sized bet - reraise option. Hindsight is 20/20 though, or at least 19/20 :club:.

Maybe she shoulda folded them face up to tighten up her table image,then pounded them all later. I think something similiar to this was actually suggested a few weeks ago by someone , and without a {sw}

Oh, and, it's a set of 7's.  Not trip 7's.
You all get too caught up in terms... kind of makes you sound arrogant...Three of a kind... is a SET or TRIPS... doesn't matter.. still three cards of the same rank. :club:
You all get too caught up in terms... kind of makes you sound arrogant...Three of a kind... is a SET or TRIPS... doesn't matter.. still three cards of the same rank. :club:
yeah, but techincally.Like when three guys are on top of me, it really isn't a gang bang. It's more of just group sex. Gang bang is 4 or more on 1. Just saying

Does anyone lead out w/ a set here???I know people love to trap w/ their sets, but is there any merit to leading and trying to induce a raise???Think about it. Say there's 10K in the pot. She leads for 7 or 8K, Eli folds and Sammy raises to 25K. Now you can either raise him or smooth call. It's trickier to put her on a set this way. I didn't see the play, so I don't know any of the circumstances, but from my personal experience I make more on sets by leading out b/c nobody puts you on such a strong hand.

yeah, but techincally.Like when three guys are on top of me, it really isn't a gang bang. It's more of just group sex. Gang bang is 4 or more on 1. Just saying
So ...... three is trip sex and gang bang is quads??? All in all.... still sex... Just saying....
So ...... three is trip sex and gang bang is quads??? All in all.... still sex... Just saying....
you haven't lived until three sets of hands carress your naked, tingling body.
Does anyone lead out w/ a set here???I know people love to trap w/ their sets, but is there any merit to leading  and trying to induce a raise???Think about it.  Say there's 10K in the pot.  She leads for 7 or 8K, Eli folds and Sammy raises to 25K.  Now you can either raise him or smooth call.  It's trickier to put her on a set this way.  I didn't see the play, so I don't know any of the circumstances, but from my personal experience I make more on sets by leading out b/c nobody puts you on such a strong hand.
I like leading with a set with 2 people in this pot just because some one is likely to have a strong ace here. I think you get more than C/Ring.
Actually, they're very different. One is much more powerful, concealed, less likely to get counterfeited and can be the 'nuts.' One is much less powerful, not concealed in the least, very likely to get counterfeited, can never be the nuts and will cost you a lot of money if you overplay them.Do you see how these are so very different? I respect your point though. But, I disagree. It's not arrogance so much as it is keeping the water from getting murky.