tunica --- final table report

OK, OK, I reluctantly admit --- DN is the man. I can't get over how well he played in Tunica. Day 3 was the first time I'd played with DN, and he left me with a bad first impression. I was talking with him about poker books (he has a non-fiction book coming out in late 06 or early 07 and I have a poker novel coming out in mid-06). He was pretty condescending during the entire conversation, and at one point he said to me, "So you've spent a long time on tour, have you?" Anyway, I like Daniel a lot, but I think he needs to be a bit more tactful in conversation. Why use a Southern accent the whole day? You're in Tunica --- are people from Tunica going to find the mock accent funny?DN takes it to another level in live play. I doubled him up with ten players left on a board of Q84 (two hearts). He raised to 20,000 with blinds of 6000-12000 and antes of 1000. I defended from the BB with Qc7c (Yes, I defend with hands such as this routinely, even against top players. Across the four days, I was dealt AA once, KK once, and JJ four times. Most of my chips came from stealing, or looking at flops with weak hands when I thought the price was right). When we went ten-handed, I thought to myself: "I'd love to put Daniel to a tough decision with chips in the pot." I thought that the final table bubble would weigh very heavily on him. From a $ perspective, a final table has to be worth three or four hundred thousand to him. DN bet 20k on the Q84 flop. I underestimated the size of his stack by 30,000 chips. I'm usually pretty good at eyeballing stacks in a hurry, but I was running on little sleep and way too much Red Bull. I would have just called if I knew he had 130k before the flop bet. There was 72k in the pot after his flop bet. When he bet, I had a few quick thoughts....-DN doesn't want to risk his tournament here.-I'm EXTREMELY likely to have the best hand at this point. -There are a lot of weak draws on board and more are coming on the turn. -There's 72k in the pot. He'll call with a set, two pair, AQ, KQ, AA, or KK, and possibly a couple of very strong draws. If he has anything else, I want to shut him down right here. Well, Daniel called with Q-T. Why? Because he's a gutsy player and b/c he makes unbelievably good reads. Apparently the fact that I showed him a bluff earlier also weighed in the equation. Folks, showing is never a good idea. It's a game of incomplete information. Try to keep it that way. Take a look at how Daniel got his money in at the final table. I can't remember a comparable performance. During the most important hands, he got the money in when the other guy was drawing DEAD or NEARLY DEAD. I'm thinking particularly of AA vs A3 (where 255000 went in post-flop) and AQ vs 88 with AQ on board (where, shockingly, 380,000 went in post-flop). I got my money in as a 7-1 dog. My interpretation the AA vs A3 and AQ vs 88 hands is that the two players involved were overly nervous and juiced-up, and DN took advantage of this by slowplaying and by acting weak. Brandon

interesting post.you might get flamed for saying anything negative about DN, but good job making it that deep, too bad you had to get knocked out like that.

there is a fine line between condesending and joking around
Sometimes that line is crossed by accident. good post.I like your hand analysis. Its interesting to see it from both sides. btw, is being able to calculate stacks at a glance a big advantage? Why not get him to count his chips, maybe pick up a tell (not sure if DN has any) and get some more time to think about it.

hello?? did u guys forget...THEY WERE AT A WSOPC FINAL TABLE...maybe daniel was being a jerk towards brandon on purpose...messing with his ego, setting him up for the big pay off(which ended up happening)...